Black Crash or Black Pebbled Glossy?

charliefarlie

Touching the stars
Jan 6, 2009
Please can I have some idea as to which of these leathers are harder wearing? I am thinking of getting a TME in one of these leathers but cannot decide which. It will need to be very hardwearing, but I would also like it to be pretty :girlsigh:. It is hard to tell from photo's which looks better, what are the differences in character. I will ask Maya for swatches but you can't tell all that much from a square inch of fabric. If you have either (or both!) please could you give me the pros and cons?

Thank you!

I have the Black Crash. It is good for wet weather use as it shrugs off the rain. I believe that it is pretty hard wearing but have not brutalised my bag so I can't swear it. It gets nice and smooshy after not that much use. However, it is not particularly 'leathery' if that is what you like in a bag.

I have both the crash and pebbled and find the crash unbelievably sexy!!! It's also lighter to carry and although I don't abuse my bags either, the black crash LM I had for over a year looked pristine after use (although I do admit that I pamper my bags).

While I love both leathers, I actually prefer the crash for the TME due to it's weight.

We are planning a bespoke for a LM in black crash. There are pics and a lot of information in that thread if you want to read through it.

Though I don't have either yet, I do have a choc. glossy pebbled tme and can tell you this leather is very durable, slouches beautifully and can be quite heavy.

I am anxious to try the black crash. I think it's beautiful, stylish, and I'm hoping lighter than the pebbled leathers. But, I don't think you can go wrong with either one as they are both beautiful.

here's the thread if you want to take a look:
http://forum.purseblog.com/belen-echandia/black-crash-lm-bespoke-you-know-you-want-416268.html

Given that I know the leathers well, I would like to weigh in if I may.

Black crash is lighter and thinner. As Jenova says it is not a soft smoochy calf, more a crinkled glossy surface with some texture.

Black glossy is slightly heavier, smoochier and rather than a glossy wrinkled texture it has a semi-glossy pebbled texture. It feels more like a thick soft leather.

They are completely different but the main difference would be the weight. Whilst the black glossy is not heavy, it is heavier than the crash.

Both wear extremely well. I have a friend - if you email me I will send a picture of her but I think it is in the gallery somewhere - who has the TME midi in black crash and it is actually the only bag she presently owns. It goes everywhere and has done for about a year and it looks the same as the day she bought it. My black glossy pebbled hug me also looks the same as the day I bought it.

So I would make your decision based not on how hardwearing it is but based on what is your top priority? Lightweight?; Choose Crash. Smoochiness?: Choose Glossy; Look: either I love them both. Price: Crash is more expensive. But only a bit.

Jackie XOX

Here's the pic:
3260713525_f28c977daf.jpg

I think my favorite leather for the TME is the black crash!
It is a sexy bag! Usually the TME looks feminine and professional! I like the contrast of the leather with the style;)

attachment.php

Attachments

• BTMEFront.jpg
    BTMEFront.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 114
My Black Crash TME Midi is my favorite bag of all time. As the others said, Black Crash is not heavy, but it is durable. I've been using this bag for 6 months in a row and there are no signs of wear at all. The glossy crinkled texture makes it much more interesting than a standard black leather bag. I think the Black Crash is so chic and it looks great with both casual and business clothes.

I don't have a Black Glossy bag, but I did return one (Hug Me). To me, the leather was okay, but I wasn't wowed by it since I'm not a big fan of pebbled leather.

Jackie - Your insight is always welcome here. :yes: Plus, it might save you from answering the same questions over and over again via e-mail to a bunch of us.

Attachments

• BE TME 01.JPG
    BE TME 01.JPG
    153.2 KB · Views: 46
Thanks for the review Jackie. I enjoy reading.

I would always choose the black pebbled. It's a softer look then the crash which offers more of a "rocker" chic style.

The cervo is more conservative by nature. Whereas the crash is like my friend Contessa said downright sexy.

I"m a stay at home mom and just feel more comfortable toting around my cervo (not that you can't be a SAHM mom and quite sexy). The Cervo is just more my personality. That's all.

As far as durabilty I agree with Jackie. They are both equal.

P.S. If I were to choose a BE crash it would be chocolate or plum. I do like both of those in the crash for when I"m in the mood for more of a "sexy" bag.

Good luck and keep us posted what you decide. I love hearing the outcomes/reviews.

Last edited:
Both wear extremely well. I have a friend - if you email me I will send a picture of her but I think it is in the gallery somewhere - who has the TME midi in black crash and it is actually the only bag she presently owns. It goes everywhere and has done for about a year and it looks the same as the day she bought it.
^That's how I used to be, also. Find a bag I loved and carry it for a year or more. Your friend hasn't discovered TPF has she?:graucho:

I like the cervo pebbled leather, which if you choose a WTM style has alot of hardware so it looks a bit more edgy. I think it would look rather conservative on a style without as much bling! I have a WTM in pebble and its is extremley hardwearing and it is my everyday bag - wouldn't be without it! I know the crash isn't the same but it reminds me of something a bit more "patent" rather than "plain".

Gosh thank you all for your input! I think I am being drawn more to the black crash, lightweight is always a good thing in my book and I wonder if the pebbled is quite similar to Mulberry Darwin - of which I already have a few bags.

Sandysandiego, that is indeed a sexy bag ;), and thanks for the picture Charmed :smile:.

Jackie, Thank you so much for the wonderful input. How many designers would help their customers out to such lengths? You truly are a star:sunshine:

I like the cervo pebbled leather, which if you choose a WTM style has alot of hardware so it looks a bit more edgy. I think it would look rather conservative on a style without as much bling! I have a WTM in pebble and its is extremley hardwearing and it is my everyday bag - wouldn't be without it! I know the crash isn't the same but it reminds me of something a bit more "patent" rather than "plain".

Exactly!

Cervo is my everyday bag whereas the crash reminds me of patent. Patent has it's place BUT only when I"m in the mood.;)

IMO Pebbled isn't like darwin at all. Darwin is thicker, structured and stiffer. Pebbled is a soft leather with a slightly raised pebbled pattern and it is quite thick but not so it doesn't slouch. Still puddles. Its a bit more like the new Mulberry natural leather of which I have an anthony but feels so much softer. I pet my bag constantly, as it is so soft to stroke. (weirdo I know!)