BLack Coral HELP?

Liberté

O.G.
Jan 5, 2007
I was completetly blown away by the pices of the Passerman (RIP) hile visiting an area in which there is a store recently, and did not manage to walk out without a piece. Howver, this being a fairly uncommon "gem", I don't know hat to avoid. I didn't have much time in the store, I got a card with it, but it doesen't say much. The only thing I was told was to keep it away from chlorine, so I guess no showering or swimming with it which isen't really something I would do with my jewelry anyways.

Does anyone have any experience with this material? It's virtually unknown aorund here, so it'd be little or no use seeing a jeweler. =(

TIA:heart:

Vegas Long Legs

Traveler
Nov 13, 2006
Hey Liberte'!

I LOVE Passermans stuff! Keep thinking about his candleabra's! Should I take this as a sign to go buy them, lol. Had no idea he had passsed, know he was quite old.

About all I know is that he was able to gain some kind of restrictions on who could use this material. And he's either alone or one of very few. That's why you don't see this material used very much.

Sorry I can't help more. I have a ring that is inlaid with this coral, I haven't worn it much, let alone swimming. DH bought it for me 10 years ago when we were visiting Vegas & wandered into the store at the Venetian. I'm not a person who wears jewelry when exercising etc. I baby my jewelry.

TylerDurden

Sep 22, 2008
Personally I wouldn't recommend any jewelry that is made out of coral as there are no environmentally responsible ways to harvest coral. Many large Jewelry stores such as Tiffany's have discontinued coral jewelry altogether until there is a sustainable way to source it.

Cedes

tori
Apr 10, 2006
Personally I wouldn't recommend any jewelry that is made out of coral as there are no environmentally responsible ways to harvest coral. Many large Jewelry stores such as Tiffany's have discontinued coral jewelry altogether until there is a sustainable way to source it.

I totally agree with this. Maui Divers here in HI has started harvesting black coral out of the ocean to make pieces exclusive to their stores - I can't believe they think that's a high selling point. :sad:

Liberté

O.G.
Jan 5, 2007
first of all I'm sorry, his name is Passman. =/

Thanks for your replies! =) Las vega; if it held up well for ten years, at least that's an indication of some longeviety.:tup:^

This jewler only uses black coral that has been naturally separated from the rest of its kind, it's not harvested in the traditional sense, this is includes loose twigs found in bays etc, making it a very rare material. It wouldn't b in the company's interest to run out of materials.