Black Box

Nope. It sounds interesting but I read some less than favorable reviews an figured I'd leave it to watch when the summer rolls around.

Was it any good?

I'm not sure if I thought it was good or not. This doctor chick knows that she is mentally ill but yet she goes off her meds intentionally, causing herself to do these crazy things. They went back in a few flashbacks (i.e. to when the doctor was younger and pregnant & when they showed her mother who committed suicide) I guess to show that her mental illness runs in the family but it didn't affect her brother. I'm just not sure how I feel about it!

Last edited:
Her boyfriend hates when she goes off her meds, but he also really likes when she goes off her meds in the bedroom. She is a genius doctor, though. I will watch it again to see if the next episode goes beyond that. I did not know that the brain was the black box. I thought the title of the show had something to do with the fact that her last name is Black.

I did watch this show and it was strange and kind of all over the place.. I'm not sure how I feel about the show... Granted it was only the first episode.. I'm a Grey's and Scandal fan but this show was not really my cup of tea..

I have a co-worker who is bi-polar, and I personally witnessed an episode when she went off her meds. While the timeframe was accelerated for TV (the build up of meds in your system takes a few days to leave your system before you experience the extreme high/low, not mere hours like they showed), the result was spot on - the obsessive writing, hearing music, hallucinations, an over sexual drive. I went online to see what people thought about it after it aired, and I read a lot of comments from people who either live with or know someone close to them who are bi-polar and the reviews were overwhelmingly positive. Its a scary subject and very dark. I find it very interesting and am anxious to see how it all plays out (its a "limited" series, meaning they only have 13 weeks planned - I think its future depends on how well/poor its received) I read an article about the show, and she's supposed to stay on her meds now for a while, so we shouldn't see that manic behavior (from the Dr) for at least a few weeks. The show is loosely based on the true story of a Dr (Kay Redfield Jamison) who has bi-polar and wrote a book called 'An Unquiet Mind'. My co-worker hasn't watched the show yet, but said she was anxious to see it (I think she planned on watching it this weekend). I think the show is a lot like the mental illness it portrays - controversial and difficult for some to understand or watch. It definitely can hit very close to home for a lot of people.

I enjoyed it, and I think the main character is very intriguing. I saw a lot of negative reviews from critics, but I saw a lot of positive reviews from those with bi-polar disorder as well. I'm going to watch again tonight.