Black box Birkin Doubts

Metrowestmama

Lover of Bling
Jan 15, 2013
I just bought a pre loved Black Box Birkin 35cm with PHW from a reputable online seller. Returnable too. But I'm wondering if I made a mistake. I wanted a casual birkin and from what I had researched & read online is that it is a great find. Scratches easily but it gives it character. But I'm wondering if I should cancel my order and wait for a black Kelly instead for a more casual look with the cross body option? Anyone use their box everyday casually?

Metrowestmama

Lover of Bling
Jan 15, 2013
I use it as a daily bag when I don't need to be hands free (I use my Evelyne in that case)
Box (especially older box) is a lot hardier than most people think! I just don't carry it in poor weather.

Yes! I agree. These are quality leathers after all. I have another question if you'd be so kind to indulge me on. I also am expecting an ebene 35cm Birkin in barenia leather. Do you think these will be too similar?

ferrip

Nov 14, 2012
I went through this EXACT dilemma - except with one from a boutique. I talked to EVERYONE I could who had experience with BBB, and of course they all strongly recommended it.

Except, I was scared about how it acted with water... so I passed.

HUGE REGRET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just wanted to share. I hope it helps! haha. Unfortunately I have no experience with a box leather bag, just passing on one. lol.

lolakitten

O.G.
Mar 11, 2007
Yes! I agree. These are quality leathers after all. I have another question if you'd be so kind to indulge me on. I also am expecting an ebene 35cm Birkin in barenia leather. Do you think these will be too similar?

Hm, that depends. I love neutrals & to me they are very different. Some might say they are too similar though. Are they same size & hardware?

Metrowestmama

Lover of Bling
Jan 15, 2013
Hm, that depends. I love neutrals & to me they are very different. Some might say they are too similar though. Are they same size & hardware?

Yes. Same size and hardware. 35cm/PHW/Birkin. Maybe I should wait for a Kelly in black for a different option. Although, I can return both bags so I could always return the Ebene Barenia vs. the Black Box......

pigleto972001

Guh.
O.G.
Oct 6, 2006
OMG! A BBB is a true classic :smile: they say the leather gets better w age. Docride has a great way to help box become more resistant to rain. If it doesn't work with your lifestyle, then give it up. But it's such a great bag. I am quite jealous :smile:

Jan 15, 2011
OMG! A BBB is a true classic :smile: they say the leather gets better w age. Docride has a great way to help box become more resistant to rain. If it doesn't work with your lifestyle, then give it up. But it's such a great bag. I am quite jealous :smile:
THis. I am super jealous. The BBB is next on my list. However with all box you need to be ok with leather that patinas. Barenia even more so!

Metrowestmama

Lover of Bling
Jan 15, 2013
THis. I am super jealous. The BBB is next on my list. However with all box you need to be ok with leather that patinas. Barenia even more so!

Definitely! I'm okay ( and actually love) the idea. Just don't want two similar bags. The ebene barenia vs the black box. If they are different enough, I'll keep both. If not, then maybe a box Kelly instead?

elena

O.G.
Apr 10, 2006
I would get the BBB but it sounds to me that you have a slight preference to the Kelly.? The one thing I would suggest is to go with what you want.
i have a so black box birkin and I am scared of using it. I love it, but have only carried it a few times in the year since purchased. I used my blue jean togo (I think, I never remember the leathers) every day all summer and didn't worry about it. I feel like I won't get any use from the so black. It's just intimidating for me. If I had to do it over, I think I would get Ebene.

Aurelia24

Rouge Vif!
Apr 2, 2012
Go for it. I use both Kellys everyday in an active life and they both go well. Scratches are part of the history and the nature of this bags, but aren't so dramatic and they blend easily with blackrock and obenauf's creams.