black bag and torn between Chanel & Hermes

maryg1

K in a circle
O.G.
Aug 29, 2006
you might not believe it, but I don't own a black bag, and I really feel I should!
the fact is I feel that brown tones better suite me, but I think i now really need a black bag for formal occasions or for times when all my other bags just don't go with my outfit.
The fact is that I'm torn between Chanel and Hermes: Hermes is my passion right now, but I'm not completely convinced by Black kelly. I don't like them in retourne (DH says it looks like the doctor's bag), I just like them in sellier.
I'm instead very drawn to Chanel reissues in size 225 and 226, other sizes might be too big for formal occasions (as maybe Kelly 32 and 35?), but are they less formal with the shoulder chain?
I know I sound silly, but I really can't decide:P
Anyone own both? which one gets more use?

I can only visualize that BB Kelly smaller than 30 would be a captivating formal bag as well as the Chanel reissue 225 and 226 or classic s or m/l. I am not much of a help here, ha.

I would say that for a simple-cut but haute and sophisticated outfit, I will use Kelly.
And for a dressier, uber-chic clothing, I will compliment it with Chanel.

I don't have a Black Kelly but my neurons had me work around that imagination.:biggrin:

My fav Chanel is the classic black caviar jumbo flap with GH - love that. I don't own one yet though. I had it on the wish list, then I got into Hermès so Chanel is put to the side now!

If you don't like the black Kelly, how about black Birkin then? Or do you need a tote style bag for your black bag? How about the Jypsiere - it's a messenger style bag. It's fab! If I had to choose though between H or Chanel, I would choose H - the quality of a Chanel doesn't even come close to that of H, H will last for decades and decades.

My fav Chanel is the classic black caviar jumbo flap with GH - love that. I don't own one yet though. I had it on the wish list, then I got into Hermès so Chanel is put to the side now!

If you don't like the black Kelly, how about black Birkin then? Or do you need a tote style bag for your black bag? How about the Jypsiere - it's a messenger style bag. It's fab! If I had to choose though between H or Chanel, I would choose H - the quality of a Chanel doesn't even come close to that of H, H will last for decades and decades.

thank you, but I'm searching for a black bag that can be used in formal occasions, and a jypsiere doesn't fall in that category.
I've heard about quality issues with Chanel, tell me more...

Mary, I'm like you, I hardly ever do black, I much prefer browns, but I do have a black Kelly, although she hasn't seen the light of day in ages, lol!

On the other hand (no offence to Chanel lovers!) I don't like Chanel bags AT ALL. Having said this, have you considered the Celine Classic Box? It looks a bit like the Constance, but in a more modern way; there are several threads in the "handbags & purses" section. I'm totally in love with this bag....and this hasn't happened in A LONG time for a non H bag!!!

I have the Chanel reissue 227 (i think),I love it and i haven't had any quality issues. I personally will reach for the reissue for the more formal occasions over my Hermes bags.

I'd stick to Hermes and in this manner, a Noir Boxcalf Constance GHW or better still, a Noir Croc Constance PHW/GHW.

A Constance can be rotated from formal to informal. Maybe I'm addicted to H?:P

Mary, I'm like you, I hardly ever do black, I much prefer browns, but I do have a black Kelly, although she hasn't seen the light of day in ages, lol!

On the other hand (no offence to Chanel lovers!) I don't like Chanel bags AT ALL. Having said this, have you considered the Celine Classic Box? It looks a bit like the Constance, but in a more modern way; there are several threads in the "handbags & purses" section. I'm totally in love with this bag....and this hasn't happened in A LONG time for a non H bag!!!

thank you duna! I will check the Celine bag, never heard of it. i'm also considering a Lady Dior, but for a handheld bag I truly prefer a sellier Kelly

p.s. duna...I think we should meet anytime soon along with other Italian Hermes lovers...;)

I have use both in numerous occasions and I would say if you have to choose, go with the reissue. 225/226 can go from day to night and appropriate for formal occasions.
A kelly can go from day to night depending on the size but 32/35 might be a bit too big for formal occasion.
I don't have quality issues with Chanel bags, they are not Hermes but they are still pretty good quality.