Black and White Floral Print Canvas Lining not original to RM?

rusararu

Feb 7, 2008
Today, I was at a flea market, where I saw bolts and bolts of fabric. I noticed that one bolt looked very similar to the infamous black and white floral canvas lining in the RM bags. Since I was carrying my Nikki, I opened it and compared to what I saw, and it was exactly the same! I thought the lining was unique to RM only! I have to say, I'm a bit disappointed... :shrugs:

Honestly you can find lining of any high end purse. Try looking at bolts of fabric in china they may not be genuine but they are silk and high quality materials, I saw gucci lining, prada lining, chanel lining. In all honesty if you are not shelling out $$$$$$$ for a handmade bag there is nothing original and uinique out there.

Ha! I missed the original thread. That is too funny. I agree with savvy23. If they are using the same fabric as furniture. It should hold up well.

After reading this thread and the other, I went and checked both my RM bags (a MAM and Tryst clutch). They have a black and white lining, but it's floral, not paisley.

I would imagine she (RM) went looking for fabric for bag linings and picked some high quality durable material and bought in bulk from supplier. Given that she is/was a new designer without a lot of capital (I just saw her CNN Money interview a few days ago), I would think that she did not get an exclusive fabric...

As long as the material holds up, I'm good!

haha, that chair looks so retro - too cool! But I'm all for good lining that can last as long as the bag holds up. I guess, using the floral canvas IS unique to RM design as she's used it to contrast the exterior of her bags, but we can't expect the lining print to be unique to RM (aside from the new striped blue lining) because she's not a graphic designer, but rather a handbag designer.

It is very expensive to buy out a pattern of fabric and have it be exclusive for your use only. Most designer's, especially small up & coming ones, just buy large quanities of fabric and not the rights to it. Hope that makes sense.
It doesn't make it any less special... it's quite normal.

It is very expensive to buy out a pattern of fabric and have it be exclusive for your use only. Most designer's, especially small up & coming ones, just buy large quanities of fabric and not the rights to it. Hope that makes sense.
It doesn't make it any less special... it's quite normal.

Thanks! Those were exactly my thoughts. :yes:

Huh I never thought about this as being an exclusive RM pattern. My whole bedroom is done in variations of this pattern, and I even picked up some similarly patterned file folders from Wal*Mart last night! I'd love that chair ... :rolleyes: