biting cat

I figure it's not her fault she is how she is. she loves the other ferrets and the love her... She even likes the cats and unlike the other ferrets never plays too rough with them... She's also a very pretty, tiny, shiny sable.. and for some reason she has never, ever bitten her when I give her food or treats... I can let her lick ferretone, a tasty ferret liquid treat, off my fingers and she's never bitten me doing that, go figure...

I just kind of accept her on her terms. For literally years I felt like a neglectful owner not interacting with her much at all. The hardest part of Carlito was accepting that she was an animal that while curious and inquisitive and relying on me to provide her with things to amuse her and keep her entertained... as far as me personally.. She had no real need or bond with me. Got to admire anything more stubborn than me. Carlito is probably the only creature who has really been more headstrong and set in her ways than I am. You find the pets you need lol. Guess I needed Carlito.

Is that Murphy in your Avatar? He is adorable. I had to sign a behavior waiver at the shelter when I took Noche home. He's just so cute though.

Yes, that's my boy! It was love at first sight at the shelter - I swear my heart skipped a beat :biggrin: and although I was initially warned against taking him, they let me adopt him when they could see I wasn't budging from his pen until they said 'yes'..... Murphy is very, very beautiful - anyone who meets him,even the non-cat people, will tell me that - but because of his unpredictable behaviour he is also VERY hard work.
I often think the reason he was sent to me - it's because I am pretty sure most eople would've handed him back by now. I suppose with so many other kittehs, I can just let him 'be'. The reward has been to watch him grow from a super-shy, nervous and scared little boy into a super-confident head-of-the-house (he wishes...) young man. I wouldn't change him for anything.

Just try to put yourself in the position of the cat. They cannot actually tell you how they are feeling. You are about 10 times their size. Just try to look for the signs like everyone else has said. You will be able to catch on after a little bit :hugs:

Cats are very expressive with their body language and respond to ours as well. Something as simple as petting a cat under their chin can actually be perceived as a life-threatening move even though we know we have good intentions. Kitty doesn't know that all the time. They are in the dark as much as we are. Personally, my new cat doesn't like to be petted for very long. I can tell she feels threatened by it after a while. She gets downright grumpy about it. Once the tail starts swishing and she gives that "death stare," I back off.

Just try to be patient and respect their space when they want it :flowers:

this should make it clear exactly what we are dealing with :biggrin:

cat.gif

OP -- I know you said that he doesn't like to go to the vet, but have you considered taking him in to see if something is wrong with him? You could also see if your vet would do a home visit.

Cats bite for various reasons. It's possible that one of the reasons is that your DH was petting him in an area where he was sore or in pain. I wouldn't immediately assume your options are only euthanasia or just live with it.

It's entirely possible there is some kind of chronic condition or illness related to aging that is going on with your kitty (like arthritis, etc) that is causing him to act this way. Even if he does have the tendency to not be a total lovebug, it sounds like 6 bites to the hand is abnormal behavior. Especially because it was targeted at your DH, who he usually likes.

This probably isn't an option for you, because I imagine that it was a fluke, but our cat was like that. It got so bad, she had grown men hiding from her. She attacked Mr. MM so badly (several times) that he had to get stitches. She locked on with her teeth, front claws and kicked with her rear. I'd be lying if we didn't discuss putting her down. Three different vets had requested we not bring her back, she'd been on anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds, it did nothing. If she was really angry and she really didn't like you, she peed on you or your clothing. She violently attacked me in my sleep, once. This resulted in her not being able to sleep in our bed, which resulted in her screaming like a banshee walking through the house- she's a Siamese (insert head nodding and sympathetic sounds).

After months of escalating behavior we decided it had become dangerous living with our pet, we weren't ready to put her down, but couldn't live with her. With heavy hearts we decided that she needed a new home, thankfully, we knew someone with lots of land in the country. She'd never lived with other cats or even outside, and now she had too. We went to visit her and what started with her ignoring us, ended with her sneaking into our car and hiding in the backseat. After a year she was completely reformed and we brought her home, where she is now. She's still certifiably insane, but she's no longer trying to kill me in my sleep, which is a plus.

this should make it clear exactly what we are dealing with :biggrin:

cat.gif

hahahah! that's spot on.
i actually have a mark on my thumb from where dotcom got me one last time. it was actually the day i had to take him in to put him to sleep. right now it's a scar, it happened on oct 30 so it's been awhile. and i really hope it remains a scar. just another little piece of him that i can remember him by. i don't want it to fade.

This probably isn't an option for you, because I imagine that it was a fluke, but our cat was like that. It got so bad, she had grown men hiding from her. She attacked Mr. MM so badly (several times) that he had to get stitches. She locked on with her teeth, front claws and kicked with her rear. I'd be lying if we didn't discuss putting her down. Three different vets had requested we not bring her back, she'd been on anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds, it did nothing. If she was really angry and she really didn't like you, she peed on you or your clothing. She violently attacked me in my sleep, once. This resulted in her not being able to sleep in our bed, which resulted in her screaming like a banshee walking through the house- she's a Siamese (insert head nodding and sympathetic sounds).

After months of escalating behavior we decided it had become dangerous living with our pet, we weren't ready to put her down, but couldn't live with her. With heavy hearts we decided that she needed a new home, thankfully, we knew someone with lots of land in the country. She'd never lived with other cats or even outside, and now she had too. We went to visit her and what started with her ignoring us, ended with her sneaking into our car and hiding in the backseat. After a year she was completely reformed and we brought her home, where she is now. She's still certifiably insane, but she's no longer trying to kill me in my sleep, which is a plus.

haha kinda like cat bootcamp! ;)

i have to say.. as much as i love dotcom, life is just a bit easier now that he's not around. i'm not fearful for my body parts lol

When my female kitty went berserk out of the blue female hormones are what ended up calming her down. Granted the vet did say she couldn't be on them long, but she straightened up in no time.

:lol: Good story!

that is hysterical
reminds me of our cat but worse
glad you had a happy ending
We have considered (only briefly after he's been bad) making him an outdoor cat ....but I would have a very hard time having him stand at the door and not letting him in.

that is hysterical
reminds me of our cat but worse
glad you had a happy ending
We have considered (only briefly after he's been bad) making him an outdoor cat ....but I would have a very hard time having him stand at the door and not letting him in.

:lol: Good story!

She was terrible, she still is, she's just not as violent. I can pick her and snuggle her now, of course she's also in her teens, so I think she's getting soft in her old age. Sometimes I think I never want another cat, then I remember all the stories she's given me and I think maybe one more, but I'm still undecided. I also want to point out, she came from a completely normal family as a kitten, she definitely wasn't feral (even if she acted like it all the time). I think 90% of her problem was me, she was so jealous when I came along, I took her boyfriend and she wasn't happy about it. She ADORES Mr. MM, she tolerates me.

One of her horrible freak outs, Mr. MM decided he was done with her, pushing her out the back door. She sat at the back door staring in, screaming for 20 minutes before he relented. That crazy horror movie cat wail? She does it too a T and pretty frequently. She's very vocal.

Maybe he'll settle down as he gets older, like Kitty did. No one can believe she's the same psycho we used to have, she's changed that much. People still avoid her out of fear she'll go nuts again.

your posts crack me up....I think partly because I identify....Noche asks to go out and then sits and stares in, waiting for me to bring him food.
He also has mellowed with age (14)....just gets violent now and then.
He is on DH's lap now.....I've suggested he not pet the cat....just let him sit there :smile:
She was terrible, she still is, she's just not as violent. I can pick her and snuggle her now, of course she's also in her teens, so I think she's getting soft in her old age. Sometimes I think I never want another cat, then I remember all the stories she's given me and I think maybe one more, but I'm still undecided. I also want to point out, she came from a completely normal family as a kitten, she definitely wasn't feral (even if she acted like it all the time). I think 90% of her problem was me, she was so jealous when I came along, I took her boyfriend and she wasn't happy about it. She ADORES Mr. MM, she tolerates me.

One of her horrible freak outs, Mr. MM decided he was done with her, pushing her out the back door. She sat at the back door staring in, screaming for 20 minutes before he relented. That crazy horror movie cat wail? She does it too a T and pretty frequently. She's very vocal.

Maybe he'll settle down as he gets older, like Kitty did. No one can believe she's the same psycho we used to have, she's changed that much. People still avoid her out of fear she'll go nuts again.

your posts crack me up....I think partly because I identify....Noche asks to go out and then sits and stares in, waiting for me to bring him food.
He also has mellowed with age (14)....just gets violent now and then.
He is on DH's lap now.....I've suggested he not pet the cat....just let him sit there :smile:

That's what I had to do with Kitty. It was hell for the longest time, she's obese, has a medium coat and looks like a baby seal, I just wanted to pick her up and squeeze her- which is a death wish. She's finally ok with being picked up and cuddled, majority of the time. If I ever had a television show, this cat would have a part, she outdoes herself every day, with something new and crazy, plus she's adorable and completely evil.

I really don't know how you would train a cat, it appears their either nice or not. Unfortunately for us, we got the grumpy ones of the bunch. Which I almost prefer, those cats that are overly nice annoy me.

She enjoys being outside now, loves it. I suppose her commune with nature a few years back enlightened her to the joys of outdoor living.

Coincidentally, she's the same age as your kitty.