Bit of a PP pickle...

OHAI!
O.G.
Jun 23, 2007
So I made an offer to a seller for an item listed on eBay and paid via Paypal not via ebay.

I didn't go through eBay because the seller offered me a better price so they wouldn't have to pay ebay fees.

Now the person isn't replying to my messages.

Am I able to get the money back? I have ebay messages to prove that we had a transaction but I just got their PP email address. The money says that its been cleared. Am I covered under PP buyer protection?

Am I able to get that money back or could they say that I just sent them money?

TIA :smile:

So I made an offer to a seller for an item listed on eBay and paid via Paypal not via ebay.

I didn't go through eBay because the seller offered me a better price so they wouldn't have to pay ebay fees.

Am I able to get the money back? I have ebay messages to prove that we had a transaction but I just got their PP email address. The money says that its been cleared. Am I covered under PP buyer protection?

How did you send the money through Paypal? Did you use payment for goods or services or send money to friends or family? In the former case you can probably ask Paypal to help.

Others will probably chime in too but in general it is never a good idea to go off Ebay. Seller like that is attempting to cheat Ebay out of its commission. Why would you think a seller like that is trustworthy?

Sent it as payment for G&S

I wanted a better price! :sad:
So you and the seller were willing to cheat ebay of its fees in order to save money?

Consider this. If a seller is willing to use ebay for exposure, find a buyer through that site and then take the transaction off the site in order to avoid fees (and cheat the system), why would you expect that seller not to cheat you?

If I had a nickel for every post on TPF where transactions went south after the parties took transactions outside the venue, I'd be rich.

BTW, if you go to ebay to complain and ebay sees that you cheated, both you and the seller are at risk of being naru'ed.

Since Ebay & PayPal are no longer the same company I believe that you are covered by buyer protection as it is no different than using PayPal for any other transaction. The times you are not covered are if you file a claim with EBay or you use the friends & family method to pay the seller. I don't believe PayPal can penalise you because you went outside EBay.
Good luck hope it works out for you

You used to have to wait 14 days to open a case but I'm not sure if that's still true. Did you give the seller your address? If so they could have actually shipped the item to you already. 5 days is kind of premature to assume they're not acting in good faith.

You are fully protected by paypal for 180 days exept in case sending the money with function ''send money to friend and family''. Even is better that you have paid outside eBay checkout because PayPal will not redirect you to resolve the case with eBay. Just open PayPal case with reason ''Item Not Received '' and type in details seller doesn't ship my item and not answer of my questions. After that escalate the case to PayPal support center and you will get you money back after some period.
The other reason beside eBay fees scammers to ask for transaction with paypal outside eBay is 21-dyas hold period. When the PayPal payment is not trough eBay checkout 21-days hold happen rarely and they can withdraw the funds in the same day.

How did you send the money through Paypal? Did you use payment for goods or services or send money to friends or family? In the former case you can probably ask Paypal to help.

Others will probably chime in too but in general it is never a good idea to go off Ebay. Seller like that is attempting to cheat Ebay out of its commission. Why would you think a seller like that is trustworthy?

THIS!!!!!

Sent it as payment for G&S

I wanted a better price! :sad:

And how is that working out for you?
Cheaters never prosper.........penny wise pound foolish............you can always see the end from the beginning............. honesty is the best policy..............any of these and more apply here.

So you and the seller were willing to cheat ebay of its fees in order to save money?

Consider this. If a seller is willing to use ebay for exposure, find a buyer through that site and then take the transaction off the site in order to avoid fees (and cheat the system), why would you expect that seller not to cheat you?

If I had a nickel for every post on TPF where transactions went south after the parties took transactions outside the venue, I'd be rich.

It never ceases to amaze me how people have no qualms about ripping others off but don't like it when it happens to them.

You are fully protected by paypal for 180 days exept in case sending the money with function ''send money to friend and family''. Even is better that you have paid outside eBay checkout because PayPal will not redirect you to resolve the case with eBay. Just open PayPal case with reason ''Item Not Received '' and type in details seller doesn't ship my item and not answer of my questions. After that escalate the case to PayPal support center and you will get you money back after some period.
The other reason beside eBay fees scammers to ask for transaction with paypal outside eBay is 21-dyas hold period. When the PayPal payment is not trough eBay checkout 21-days hold happen rarely and they can withdraw the funds in the same day.

Why is it better? I don't believe in rewarding bad behavior
Not all sellers have a 21 day hold on their funds.

You are right but I'm pointing to the scammers. They usually have multiple eBay stealth accounts with no selling or short selling history and 21-days hold.
You don't understand. Both sides are scamming. A seller can't be a scammer without the greed of a buyer and the buyer can't scam without a willing selling.

It takes 2 and neither side is more "honest" than the other.

There are dozens of threads on this subforum about transactions that have gone bad after both sides try to "work" the system and save money.

Reactions: kemilia and poopsie