Bit of a daft question...

Gabs007

Sofa King Banned
Feb 5, 2018
Bought something on eBay, the sizing was all wrong (as in I really drowned in it, and I know the sizing of the brand) I did send the seller a message, apparently a family member had passed away and the young kids sold the stuff, I thought it is bad enough for them, I don't want to add to their troubles and return, put it on another site as it really didn't fit me, I made a profit (not much, I think about 20) but feel really bad about keeping the profit as they could have made it, should I just send them the money with regards, I don't want to be insulting, it just wouldn't feel right to benefit from somebody elses loss, but I don't want to act like I am belittling their loss, I would feel really awful about keeping it, the other option would be to donate it to a charity. I know it's not much and all, but it does bug me a bit

What a thoughtful and gracious thing to do! In my opinion, I think they would be very touched, especially with a note similar to your post. It's not about the money, it's just the right thing for you to do. Admirable!!!

What a thoughtful and gracious thing to do! In my opinion, I think they would be very touched, especially with a note similar to your post. It's not about the money, it's just the right thing for you to do. Admirable!!!

It just seems not right to keep it, on the other hand I don't want to appear like I belittle them, I didn't want to return as the selling things off was apparently the kids "letting go", but I would feel bad about keeping it, they even suggested I use the pictures, I just did a better pic of the size label (they got confused with Italian and French sizing) and measured it. Maybe I explain that since it didn't fit me and I sold it on, they should have the profit?

It just seems not right to keep it, on the other hand I don't want to appear like I belittle them, I didn't want to return as the selling things off was apparently the kids "letting go", but I would feel bad about keeping it, they even suggested I use the pictures, I just did a better pic of the size label (they got confused with Italian and French sizing) and measured it. Maybe I explain that since it didn't fit me and I sold it on, they should have the profit?

Not sure the word belittle fits the situation here...you made a decision to sell it made a profit & perhaps
send a note saying the profit was sent to a charity ..that would be a gesture that would be thoughtful
not necessary but since it does bug you a little a nice gesture

Reactions: Gabs007
So the question is.....return the $20 profit to someone that you purchased from and then resold vs. giving it to charity?

if you do not want to keep the profit for your troubles then donate to charity. Sending it back to a seller is .....well.... odd....for lack of a better word right now.

Last edited:
So the question is.....return the $20 profit to a someone that you purchased from and then resold vs. giving it to charity?

if you do not want to keep the profit for your troubles then donate to charity. Sending it back to a seller is .....well.... odd....for lack of a better word right now.
While it's honorable for the buyer-turned-seller to offer the profit back to the original seller, I'm with @MAGJES on this one.

OP, you bought the item fair and square for the price that the seller was okay with. Not being able to use it, you resold, something done by resellers all the time and completely legal -- capitalism at its best.

You may have lost money on the sale or as in this case, you made money. That profit is yours to do with as you please and without guilt for whatever choice you make.

While it's honorable for the buyer-turned-seller to offer the profit back to the original seller, I'm with @MAGJES on this one.

OP, you bought the item fair and square for the price that the seller was okay with. Not being able to use it, you resold, something done by resellers all the time and completely legal -- capitalism at its best.

You may have lost money on the sale or as in this case, you made money. That profit is yours to do with as you please and without guilt for whatever choice you make.

It was just the situation, usually I don't want to do this whole resell thing but figured in this case it was better, it just feels quite "wrong" to profit from somebody elses bad fortune.

Bought something on eBay, the sizing was all wrong (as in I really drowned in it, and I know the sizing of the brand) I did send the seller a message, apparently a family member had passed away and the young kids sold the stuff, I thought it is bad enough for them, I don't want to add to their troubles and return, put it on another site as it really didn't fit me, I made a profit (not much, I think about 20) but feel really bad about keeping the profit as they could have made it, should I just send them the money with regards, I don't want to be insulting, it just wouldn't feel right to benefit from somebody elses loss, but I don't want to act like I am belittling their loss, I would feel really awful about keeping it, the other option would be to donate it to a charity. I know it's not much and all, but it does bug me a bit
I understand where you are coming from. If you bought it for what they asked, you are square with them. Feel free to keep it, it better yet, donate it to or use it to buy food for your local food bank. There are people out there who don’t have enough to eat right now and really need it.

Reactions: BeenBurned