Bit by the LV bug

ginvickery

Dec 9, 2016
So I went from being Chanel obsessed to falling for LV. Last week I received my first LV, a Sherwood PM in Amarante Vernis. I fell in love with it. This led to me ordering 2 more LV items today. I can't wait until they come in.

I found a Limited edition Perforated Musette in orange and a preloved Eva clutch in Damier Ebene with the long strap...I still love my Chanel, but I am finding that LV can be more casual and definitely cheaper. However, I still find it very special and classy.

So I went from being Chanel obsessed to falling for LV. Last week I received my first LV, a Sherwood PM in Amarante Vernis. I fell in love with it. This led to me ordering 2 more LV items today. I can't wait until they come in.

I found a Limited edition Perforated Musette in orange and a preloved Eva clutch in Damier Ebene with the long strap...I still love my Chanel, but I am finding that LV can be more casual and definitely cheaper. However, I still find it very special and classy.

I'm ten years into my LV collection and just got my first Chanels last year. I grab my LVs way more. I adore my Chanel bags and slgs but Louis Vuitton is way more practical for a daily bag. There are so many style options with LV compared to chanel. And my empreinte leather has never ever scuffed and wears beautifully, and I have had scuffing on chanel caviar leather. I know many people would go to chanel over LV, maybe because they assume with a higher price point it must be much better quality but you're paying for the name brand. Louis Vuitton has had a lot of quality control issues because of growing demand for their items and I've been sold LV items with major flaws and had to do exchanges, but when they get it right they get it right. I definitely like how Chanel doesn't use glazing though because LV glazing can be problematic, but at the end of the day I find my LV collection to be my go-to's. And LV stands by their products so any issues that arise, they can repair or give credit notes for. I'm very happy to have my chanel pieces and I only bought them because I didn't want to wait until they had even more price increases. So I completely get why you fell for LV. It's a great brand and so very practical :smile:

Reactions: kkfiregirl
I'm ten years into my LV collection and just got my first Chanels last year. I grab my LVs way more. I adore my Chanel bags and slgs but Louis Vuitton is way more practical for a daily bag. There are so many style options with LV compared to chanel. And my empreinte leather has never ever scuffed and wears beautifully, and I have had scuffing on chanel caviar leather. I know many people would go to chanel over LV, maybe because they assume with a higher price point it must be much better quality but you're paying for the name brand. Louis Vuitton has had a lot of quality control issues because of growing demand for their items and I've been sold LV items with major flaws and had to do exchanges, but when they get it right they get it right. I definitely like how Chanel doesn't use glazing though because LV glazing can be problematic, but at the end of the day I find my LV collection to be my go-to's. And LV stands by their products so any issues that arise, they can repair or give credit notes for. I'm very happy to have my chanel pieces and I only bought them because I didn't want to wait until they had even more price increases. So I completely get why you fell for LV. It's a great brand and so very practical :smile:

I browse both the Chanel and LV forums and see quality issues on both including new $5k Chanel bags with messed up stitching or crooked clasps etc. While it's so frustrating for things so expensive to have problems, I try to remind myself that at the end of the day, they're made items and can have problems. What matters is how the company responds and if they'll fix or replace the defective items.

I don't have any LV empreinte items but I do have a Chanel small o Case in lambskin that I use as a wallet. It's fluffy and puffy and beautiful but I already see wear on the corners and I've had it less than a year. I'm very easy on it and I even have a felt Samorga organizer so it has its own little place inside my purse. It definitely makes me afraid to get a lambskin purse despite how beautiful they are. :/ I still would love a caviar one someday. :smile:

Reactions: FancyPants77
I would love a medium boy or classic Flap in caviar and one in lamb, but I just can't justify spending that much on one bag. I have some vintage pieces I got good deals on that I cherish though.

I'm really excited about my new foray into LV though. The price is so much lower that I don't feel so guilty buying it especially when you can buy preloved. I do agree that quality can affect any brand, but as long as you can exchange or have it repaired I think it's ok.

I am happy to have this forum because my family thinks I've lost my mind spending more than $40 on a bag of any kind!

I browse both the Chanel and LV forums and see quality issues on both including new $5k Chanel bags with messed up stitching or crooked clasps etc. While it's so frustrating for things so expensive to have problems, I try to remind myself that at the end of the day, they're made items and can have problems. What matters is how the company responds and if they'll fix or replace the defective items.

I don't have any LV empreinte items but I do have a Chanel small o Case in lambskin that I use as a wallet. It's fluffy and puffy and beautiful but I already see wear on the corners and I've had it less than a year. I'm very easy on it and I even have a felt Samorga organizer so it has its own little place inside my purse. It definitely makes me afraid to get a lambskin purse despite how beautiful they are. :/ I still would love a caviar one someday. :smile:

I also have a small o case but mine is caviar, and completely get what you're saying about the lambskin. I researched the item before I got it and heard mixed reviews that some lambskin cases showed no wear and others scratched easily. For this reason, I only buy caviar but I adore the look of lambskin :smile:. I'm shocked that you use a samorga and it still wore the edges. Definitely stick with caviar when you do get another one day :smile:. But like you said, these items are handmade and once any luxury good is put to use it will begin the wear and tear process. All that matters is how much we love our items, and that we find them worth what we paid. I sold my two monogram LV items with vachetta leather because I realized I don't like the look of them with water stains and such- just my personal opinion. Other than that, I love all of my canvas, empreinte, and caviar pieces. They hold their value and I truly enjoy carrying them. At the end of the day, I always grab LV more. Love the brand.

I would love a medium boy or classic Flap in caviar and one in lamb, but I just can't justify spending that much on one bag. I have some vintage pieces I got good deals on that I cherish though.

I'm really excited about my new foray into LV though. The price is so much lower that I don't feel so guilty buying it especially when you can buy preloved. I do agree that quality can affect any brand, but as long as you can exchange or have it repaired I think it's ok.

I am happy to have this forum because my family thinks I've lost my mind spending more than $40 on a bag of any kind!

Sometimes I think I, myself, am crazy for buying expensive bags haha. But I truly love my bags just as a car person loves their cars. Bags are my thing. I found it hard to justify my boy bags too but with how much they go up in value every year I know I can get all of my money back, even if used for years, if my taste changes. I doubt I'll ever sell them though. But they're truly investments. And that's the only reason I can justify it. If they didn't hold their value, no way would I buy them. I sold one of my old LV monogram bags with water stains on the leather and got almost all of my money back because the bag was from 2007 and is worth almost double now. Chanel bags go up in value like crazy so it's even better. I agree, LV price points are much kinder on the wallet than chanel and to be honest, oftentimes are way better looking and way more practical in general :smile:

I know this is an LV forum but to reply to your comment on lambskin purse, I own a Lucrezia Givenchy in lambskin and after having used it a LOT (even under the rain and snow and with a toddler) for two years, it is still in almost perfect condition. Of course I take care of my bags, never put them on the floor, I care for the leather very often and so on. I avoid everything that might scratch them.
I also have a wallet and a bag (also lambskin) from the French brand Abacco and they last very well. After using my wallet every day for months I see no sign of wear.

Reactions: happybaglady16
I know this is an LV forum but to reply to your comment on lambskin purse, I own a Lucrezia Givenchy in lambskin and after having used it a LOT (even under the rain and snow and with a toddler) for two years, it is still in almost perfect condition. Of course I take care of my bags, never put them on the floor, I care for the leather very often and so on. I avoid everything that might scratch them.
I also have a wallet and a bag (also lambskin) from the French brand Abacco and they last very well. After using my wallet every day for months I see no sign of wear.

That's gives me hope! :smile: Lambskin is very soft and supple and I'd love to have a bag some day. I'm on ban island for another year or so but a girl can dream. lol

I also have a small o case but mine is caviar, and completely get what you're saying about the lambskin. I researched the item before I got it and heard mixed reviews that some lambskin cases showed no wear and others scratched easily. For this reason, I only buy caviar but I adore the look of lambskin :smile:. I'm shocked that you use a samorga and it still wore the edges. Definitely stick with caviar when you do get another one day :smile:. But like you said, these items are handmade and once any luxury good is put to use it will begin the wear and tear process. All that matters is how much we love our items, and that we find them worth what we paid. I sold my two monogram LV items with vachetta leather because I realized I don't like the look of them with water stains and such- just my personal opinion. Other than that, I love all of my canvas, empreinte, and caviar pieces. They hold their value and I truly enjoy carrying them. At the end of the day, I always grab LV more. Love the brand.

I hear you! It's confusing. You research and some say they've never had any problems and some say they do. lol I was lucky enough to get a DE Delightful and Mono Speedy B 30 at the same time so I can't get anymore bags for a while but I've loved them like crazy. I've used the both in rotation since getting them (in August I think) and couldn't be happier with them. I am careful but don't baby them and think they'll hold up really well. I think if I ever branch out to a Chanel bag it would probably be pre-loved so I'd freak out less about messing it up. lol

I was surprised at the wear too, especially with the organizer. It's slight but you can tell. I attached a picture so you can see. Still love it to pieces though. :smile:

Attachments

• IMG_7931.JPG
    IMG_7931.JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 290
Reactions: FancyPants77
I hear you! It's confusing. You research and some say they've never had any problems and some say they do. lol I was lucky enough to get a DE Delightful and Mono Speedy B 30 at the same time so I can't get anymore bags for a while but I've loved them like crazy. I've used the both in rotation since getting them (in August I think) and couldn't be happier with them. I am careful but don't baby them and think they'll hold up really well. I think if I ever branch out to a Chanel bag it would probably be pre-loved so I'd freak out less about messing it up. lol

I was surprised at the wear too, especially with the organizer. It's slight but you can tell. I attached a picture so you can see. Still love it to pieces though. :smile:

Love the speedy and delightful. Great bags :smile:. Great idea about going the pre-loved route. The prices are so high now that they're not going to be worth it to me to buy anymore chanel bags, probably. I have two boys and made sure to get the colors and hardware combinations that would keep me content for a very long time. I'm just happy they go up so much in value so I know I can sell them later if I want to, in used condition, and get all my money back haha. But in general, I'm done purse shopping. I have my collection where I have one of everything for my needs (small bags, canvas bags, crossbody bags, evening bags, and medium size bags). I see the slight wear on your piece, but it's still gorgeous. Luxury goods are meant to be loved- that's why we dish out so much money for them, so that we can love these lovely pieces. I'll never forget the first time I got water spots on my first LV (monogram canvas speedy). I felt like I wasted my money, BUT I sold it for what I bought it for because of how much it went up in price. I was so happy haha. I've also sold an LV wallet that didn't function well for me and a neverfull pm because it was vachetta and I realized I just hate vachetta. I got all my money back. So it puts me at ease knowing these are investment pieces. But I don't really see myself ever selling anything I have right now. My style could change over the years so you never know, but I love all my bags and no longer baby them. I buy dark colored bags for no color transfer problems, and ruthenium hardware on my Chanels for no scratching problems, etc. I research my purchases to get items that will last the longest and wear the best. If you do branch out to chanel you'll love it, but they're way less practical than the bags you just got. I've never heard anyone say "The chains are so comfy on chanel bags", except for boy bags. And so on and so on. I don't buy anything that's not comfortable haha. I like the shape of chanel bags, but at the end of the day they can be too small or too boxy if you go the jumbo route. They're just not as useful as the wide variety LV has to offer. I adore my camellia slgs. They're the prettiest pieces I've ever owned, in my opinion, since I love flowers. I love my boy bags. But other than that, I didn't get too into chanel. I don't like their chains- they dig into your shoulder. Doubling the chains squeaks them. And so on. Just my personal opinion. I was going to buy a denim backpack from chanel last year and the threads were popping off in places so I passed and got the new epi speedy. It all boils down to the quality of the specific piece, how much we personally love it, and are therefore willing to pay for it haha :smile:

That's gives me hope! :smile: Lambskin is very soft and supple and I'd love to have a bag some day. I'm on ban island for another year or so but a girl can dream. lol
Happybaglady16, I'm glad my reply might have helped you. I think you may find other brands than Chanel with lovely lambskin bags for cheaper but I agree with you about the pre-loved route if you specifically want Chanel. You worry less and spend less !

Reactions: happybaglady16
I was also chanel obsessed but the quality of the newer chanel really got me disappointed.. sold most of my chanels off and kept the vintage ones.

Now i am LV obsessed ! Their quality is comparable or better than chanel, more affordable and i can collect more of them! They hold value pretty well too!