Birkin vs. Kelly -- in a practical sense

If I HAD to choose between the two, I would go with Kelly. When I first starting to research Hermes, I thought "Birkin, Birkin, Birkin ..." and nothing else. But as it turned out, I am a total Kelly girl. I was afraid of the flap being a PITA but I got used to it.
And I do have to agree with the others about the Bolide! GREAT bag!

If I HAD to choose between the two, I would go with Kelly. When I first starting to research Hermes, I thought "Birkin, Birkin, Birkin ..." and nothing else. But as it turned out, I am a total Kelly girl. I was afraid of the flap being a PITA but I got used to it.
And I do have to agree with the others about the Bolide! GREAT bag!

This is how I fee to a TEE! I'm a total Kelly girl too (and a Bolide 'ho!)

Me, too!!! Do love my Birkin, but there is something about Kelly... Thank God I don't have to choose one...but if I did... Let's just say current and future plans are more Kelly than Birkin focused...

If you love the look of a Kelly you should give it a try. I never considered a Bolide or a Birkin because they did not appeal to me aesthetically. I agree the Birkin would be easier to get in and out of if you leave it open, but I like my bag to be closed for security purposes. Also I like to have the option of carrying the bag on my shoulder. I think the Bolide would be practical for everyday but it just is not for me.
So the Kelly is my love and I have a number of them that I rotate for daily use. I really don't carry anything else, and I am so used to it now I find it's not difficult to get in and out of, especially in the retourne style and in something hardy like Togo. I sometimes just plop it in one arm and open with the other hand. I use the shoulder strap a lot for shopping or crossing the street with my little ones. I have not missed a phone call because of my Kelly. Sometimes i leave the strap down too, but I prefer the look of the Kelly all strapped up and that's how I wear it most of the time.
IMHO there is a lot to be said about wearing a bag that makes your heart sing. The Kelly took a little getting used to in the beginning for me, but I am so glad I took the time to get to know her.

One of the best things about preferring a Kelly to a Birkin is that you're far more likely to walk into an Hermes Boutique and leave with a new Kelly than with a new Birkin. They've become quite plentiful in the boutiques.

Hippiechic, you are very welcome, and you might find as I did that the Kelly is super practical too. And as Millstream said, I have been so happy that the Kellys are not so hard to find. It's nice to see a bag in person, decide if it appeals to you visually, try holding and walking around, and buying it and taking it home all on the same day.

I don't think you can pick just one. You need one of each to be honest because they all serve a different purpose and they each have their own beauty and use factor.

I feel you need to pick the one that truly speaks to you. When you look at the Kelly, Birkin, and Bolide...which one says, "BUY ME"? I would go with that one first. Use it and love it and the next time save up and buy one of the other two.

I love the Kelly for so many reasons, but a birkin and bolide are wonderful as well!

One thing I forgot to say...my black box Kelly is my love. I remember one day when I knew my grandmother was dying of cancer...I went to visit and help her. She was suffering so much she told me to go and not to worry. When I left her house, I sat in her driveway crying. I turned to the passenger seat ,I saw my Kelly, and it made me smile. I actually caught myself for just that little bit and was happy. It took away the pain and made me feel that little bit better.

Buy a bag that makes you feel happy...one that makes you feel pretty...beautiful...and just touches your heart. It will be there with you through everything. It may help you one day like mine did for me!

Kellybag, I am so touched by your story. I have a similar feeling about my black box Kelly. I went into Hermes and bought this Kelly on a very, very bad day, and somehow it made me feel like things were going to be normal again. And when things turned out to be more OK than I had feared, I felt the Kelly was my talisman.

Very tough questions. I love my Birkin for the reasons Gazoo mentioned---I am also very impatient and like to get in and out quickly; I also drive everywhere so it's convenient to have an open tote in the passenger seat where I can reach in and grab something quickly if needed. The con with the Birkin is its weight (if it's a 35cm) and if you need to have your hands free it can be a bit of a pain.

The Kelly is great if you're a city person and take public transportation, since your bag can be securely closed and the shoulder strap is such a great plus.

I do find the closure on the Kelly a bit of a pain--especially because I don't like the look of the Kelly with the straps loose, so when I get the chance, I always have to hook them back onto the turnlock. However this is balanced out by the convenience of the shoulder strap for the Kelly--I love having the option of carrying it on my shoulders, and in a 28cm or 32cm size, the Kelly is very easy to carry and doesn't take up as much room as a 35cm Birkin.

I love both bags equally--but as the other ladies have mentioned, they each have their own unique purpose and they have to suit your own personal preferences.

hippiechic, i have a birkin and a kelly and hands down, the birkin is more practical, IMO. there are the two handles which allow the bag to open, and the flap can be tucked in so there's always an opening.

the kelly is gorgeous, definitely more elegant and clean looking, but harder to get into. the hand strap is attached to the flap, so you can open it while it's on your arm, but you can't just leave it open. even if you leave the straps unlocked, then if you want to get in you have to twist the metal thing to release the flap, and if it's still on your arm, it's hard to use just one hand to put the flap back in and turn the lock without some sort of support like a table or something.

but maybe i'm just clumsy :smile: that being said, i do love the kelly style, but i think the birkin is more practical.

I love both styles, but reach for a Birkin 90% of the time. I've got 35cm Birkins for every day and 30cm Birkins for evenings and weekends, when I don't need my bag to double as a briefcase. That leaves my Kellys for days when I'm getting more dressed up and want that very lady-like Kelly look.

I probably won't be adding any more Kellys to my collection, but if the right Birkin appeared I'd snap it up in a nanosecond.

Orchids, I agree about driving with Kelly -- what I do now is I just leave it open on the passenger seat in case I need to reach in quickly. Since I always have to put my car key in when i get to my destination anyway, it's handy that the Kelly is already open and I don't have to do the turnlock thing again.

I love both styles, but reach for a Birkin 90% of the time. I've got 35cm Birkins for every day and 30cm Birkins for evenings and weekends, when I don't need my bag to double as a briefcase. That leaves my Kellys for days when I'm getting more dressed up and want that very lady-like Kelly look.

I probably won't be adding any more Kellys to my collection, but if the right Birkin appeared I'd snap it up in a nanosecond.

This, to me, sounds like the ideal situation.
Of course, not to restate the obvious, the Bolide has the best of both worlds. But if it doesn't do it for you, aesthetically, then...
There is something to be said for practicality, but only to a certain point. You need to love the bag. Practical or not.