Birkin trade

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Hello ladies,

I would greatly appreciate any advice. I have been in contact with a reseller recommended by this forum. We have decided to trade Birkins. I send my Birkin for inspection first. They inspect my bag and then if ok send theirs. Feeling a little nervous but because this reseller has such good feedback I want to go forward. How should I send to provide as much protection to me as possible?

2. Are you in the US? You should send insured by Fed Ex or UPS so you can insure for the full value. USPS I think I has some present Insurance limit now.

3. Another thing you can do is something that some people do when selling on eBay. Attach a security tag or a little combination travel lock (like the kind used on suitcases) and only provide the combination when your bag is returned or the one you're swapping for arrives.

It's a way of preventing the old "switcheroo."

4. This is why I love this forum. Smart ladies.

Yes, both me and the reseller are in the US. I was thinking about insurance already...don't know what the limits are. Will check Fedex right now.

I am intrigued by this security tag or lock option. I'm not sure how to do it. Where would I buy it? How would I secure it?

5. This sounds strange to me. What is in it for the reseller? Does she/he have a customer for your B and is her B not a desireable B? Can you share with us what you are giving and what you are getting?

6. FedEx for sure...I 2nd DS's question

7. Resticter - You're very smart. The fear of having a fake comes back in return will haunt me but the bottomline is really on the reputation of the reseller.

8. I keep checking back on this thread. I would be totally a nervous wreck with this transaction and I have nerves of steel.

9. I don't get this. Are the recommended sellers on this forum's list to be considered trustworthy or only occasionally trustworthy? If there's legitimate fear of them defrauding, then the value of being recommended here is something of a head scratcher.

10. ^^I guess anyone can "go bad." ? Not sure.

11. I would take lots of pictures of your bag before you send it, especially any identifying marks, including perhaps a shot of you holding it? And then more pics of packing it and the address labels. I do this even with bags going to spa. It can't hurt.

Although with any of the reputable resellers I would think it should not be a problem at all. If you are trusting that person enough to send you a Birkin, sending yours to them,as long as it's insured, etc. should be fine too.

Just out of curiousity, do you get a chance to look over the 'new' one before you decide to take it?

12. chanelinspired, Are you talking about trading your Black 35 togo with palladium hardware--the one your DH got you for your anniversary gift?

13. Yes, that's the one. I haven't used it since he got it for me. I have my heart set on GHW. Am I crazy? I want to trade it for a Ardennes w/GHW which the seller has said is in beautiful condition.

14. I didn't ask why they would consider the trade. I guess b/c my bag is brand new and the one I'm going to receive is used has GHW. I have been killing myself b/c I haven't used this bag but its just not the "one", if you know what I mean. My husband is a little disappointed with me, but he says he is more concerned that I don't get the "switcheroo". That's why I'm turning to all of you.

Trade sounded good to me. I wouldn't have to list on e-bay and deal with all the hassles...

Am I making a good decision?

15. This is my thought too. That's why I've been seriously considering it.