Birkin through airport/security/x-ray

I just got back from a week in Quebec and simply put my Raisin Bolide 31 in a tray and, while it was a little nerve wracking, she came through with flying colors! (I would probably not do this with my black box kelly, but the bolides I own are in togo or chevre so they are a little more scratch resistant). I do love the idea of the longchamp pliage! :smile: What a great idea!

I am nuts this way....I always bring, in particular, the dustcover from my Fendi spy bag to cover which ever bag I travel with. I choose the Fendi dustcover because it is slippery, thus making any bag REALLY, REALLY easy to slip in and out of, REALLY quickly. Before going under the ex-ray, in those dirty bins, feh!:yucky: ....I am ready for action!

Just wanted to thank Gina again for the Longchamp idea. I've never taken an H bag on a plane for fear about how to go through x-ray/security, and then how to store it, if need be, overhead. You've offered the perfect solution. Does the Pliage Sur Measure fold up to a small enough size that you can tote it around always in a 35 cm Birkin and then use it in restaurants, if it suddenly starts raining etc? I just ordered one (black with dark brown trim) and look forward to receiving it before the tPF LV trip in December when I know I'll travel with at least one H bag.

^^ TV, you got one! It should be with you shortly. I find that Longchamp are quite quick with their online orders. Mine arrived in only about 1 1/2 weeks (?), and I even asked for monogramming.

To answer your question, the largest tote folds down to approx. 9" x 4" x 2", which fits easily into the 35 birkin, along with whatever else you may have inside. You can easily tote it around (for those weather emergencies), although the handles of les Pliages with the longer handles will show over the top of your birkin. For traveling, I don't mind that as much; I simply tuck my arm into those handles as well as the birkin's when I carry it.

gina- I ordered the one with long handles because i wanted to be able to sling it over my shoulder when traveling. I know I'll find lots of uses for it and almost want a second one to keep in my office so if I'm ever carrying a nice bag to work (H or otherwise- including suede) and the weather turns I have a safe option for carrying the bag outside. Even on car trips it will be handy.

I am still thinking about your beautiful raisin Kelly- I can't get it out of my head!

TV

Thanks for your compliments to my kelly, TV. She's blushing! :shame:

I think you'll get so much use out of your Pliage. The handbags I travel with my vary, but the one constant in my packing is the Pliage!

BTW, HiHeels - your raisin clemence sounds lovely!

I was traveling to Miami last week and just put my chevre Bolide on top of my blazer in one of the trays. In that tray I had my blazer/jacket, Bolide and shoes. Just like harleyNemma, I had no problems!

Alright ladies, I just returned from my holiday and flew in through Heathrow, Barcelona, Zurich, Budapest, and the US. I'm sorry to say that they're now reserving those bins only for jackets and shoes. Your lovely bags must ride the conveyor belt commando. And I've actually seen the employees take the bags out of the bins and place them in the conveyor belt.

Additionally, when stowing away bags away, they're quite firm about either placing it waaaaaaaaaay under the seat in front of you or in the overhead bin.

Last but not least, for those flying through Heathrow, they only allow women to carry one article on board. Either a carry-on OR a purse. Not both. Thank goodness for Le Pliage!:idea:

same happened to me- they took the bag out of the bin... and my head turned read enough to make the aware of how I felt- they told me it's a rule- they have to do it..
I love the idea with an extra cover- I hope it works and they don't tell you to remove that.. maybe if I cover the bag before they see it...

^^ I'm surprised at this -- unless it's mostly international flights. I just flew Boston-NY-Washington-Boston last week with my raisin box whitebus and it fit perfectly into the bins. No one even touched it. :hysteric:

Four weeks ago I flew from California to DC and they would not allow handbags to go in the bins. I wasn't carrying H or a really good bag so it was only mildly annoying, but they pulled my bag out of the bin and insisted it go on the belt directly. It's Pliage Sur Measure all the way next time I travel!

Just wanted to add that I received an e-mail from Longchamp this morning saying my Pliage will arrive on Friday- less than a week after I customed designed it online, and I ordered embossed initials as well! Amazing service!