Birkin Questions....

Demi8

Oct 7, 2016
Hello Purse Forum,

I'm ready to take the Birkin plunge, but have a few questions.

1. Can anyone ID Kim's bag in this photo? Does this look like a 35 or a 40? Also, can the leather type be recognized from such a photo?

2. I'm favoring the discontinued Ardennes leather. Does anyone have an Ardennes, is it heavy? If so, what leather could it be compared to in weight, Fjord maybe?

3. If I can't find the Ardennes that I love, is there a comparable leather that holds its shape, similar feel, durability and grain of Ardennes?

Thank you, so much!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-20 at 2.25.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-20 at 2.25.11 PM.png
    474.3 KB · Views: 1,206
It looks like a 40 to me.

Are you planning on buying it new from store or resellers? Normally in stores I see Epsom, togo, clemence the most often. Other leathers will be harder to get. I do feel that togo is very good with durability.

It looks like a 40 to me.

Are you planning on buying it new from store or resellers? Normally in stores I see Epsom, togo, clemence the most often. Other leathers will be harder to get. I do feel that togo is very good with durability.

Thank you so much for responding. :smile:

It kinda looks like a 40 to me as well. I prefer to buy from a reseller. I'm impatient, lol.

I'm hoping Ardennes won't be too heavy. I'm looking for some grains (but without veins), somewhat water resistant, a bit of sheen, scratch resistant, and holds shape, a good every day bag.

Reactions: tafleischer
Hi, i carry 40s, so does Kim K. Like Kim I'm petite with a big booty, lol. If you go that route, reseller prices are excellent for used 40s, they are not as desirable or in demand as 35s which is part of the reason I love them the prices are better and they are already pre loved and I don't worry about damaging them out of the Box lol. But They look like a briefcase if you go with a firm leather I wouldn't recommend anything but Clemence or early togo in a 40 if you prefer a slight slouchy sexy sporty day bag feel. Hope this helps. Here is my 40 indigo togo J stamp (2006) 1492220545424.jpeg1492220565197.jpeg1492220606077.jpeg

Hi, i carry 40s, so does Kim K. Like Kim I'm petite with a big booty, lol. If you go that route, reseller prices are excellent for used 40s, they are not as desirable or in demand as 35s which is part of the reason I love them the prices are better and they are already pre loved and I don't worry about damaging them out of the Box lol. But They look like a briefcase if you go with a firm leather I wouldn't recommend anything but Clemence or early togo in a 40 if you prefer a slight slouchy sexy sporty day bag feel. Hope this helps. Here is my 40 indigo togo J stamp (2006)

Hello, and thanks for your reply! I've seen you around the forums, and you're one of the reasons behind my B40 obsession. You look amazing, and your bags are gorgeous too!

Aren't 40's the best!? I've always been a big bag person, but generally prefer them on my shoulder (which I can do with this lovely). I purchased a 40 in Ardennes, as I prefer a little bit of sheen, and somewhat of a military posture on my girls. Sorry for bad photo quality (also, don't laugh at my girlie weights--I use them for high heel/wrist training, lol).17909305_1922281148006588_1986479086_n.jpg 17918567_1922281161339920_1075323903_n.jpg 17918990_1922281151339921_425260936_n.jpg

Last edited:
Hello, and thanks for your reply! I've seen you around the forums, and you're one of the reasons behind my B40 obsession. You look amazing, and your bags are gorgeous too!

Aren't 40's the best!? I've always been a big bag person, but generally prefer them on my shoulder (which I can do with this lovely). I purchased a 40 in Ardennes, as I prefer a little bit of sheen, and somewhat of a military posture on my girls. Sorry for bad photo quality (also, don't laugh at my girlie weights--I use them for high heel/wrist training, lol).View attachment 3672581 View attachment 3672583 View attachment 3672584
I think you look fabulous
You too rock b40 wooohooo

Really gorgeous, Ardenne wears beautifully, i love this bag! Shhhhhh.... I almost don't want to let the secret get out because it could diminish our supply of well priced 40's if people catch on how practical and smushy casual sexy the size is [emoji1]☻

Reactions: Demi8
Really gorgeous, Ardenne wears beautifully, i love this bag! Shhhhhh.... I almost don't want to let the secret get out because it could diminish our supply of well priced 40's if people catch on how practical and smushy casual sexy the size is [emoji1]☻

Thank you so much, and omg, yesss! Very sexy IMO. Great day bag...for pretty much everything. I loved what I read about the Ardennes leather being as strong as Kevlar, but still maintaining a luxurious appearance. Also, I think Ardennes looks fabulous in black. That's my kind of bag!

All of my bags are massive, and for some reason, the larger size gives me a sense of security. This is my first Birkin, and definitely not my last. I'm terribly happy to have her. I sit staring like a starry-eyed child at Disneyland. Best feeling ever, true bag lust. I'm soooo in!