Birkin purchase - help

footlocker

O.G.
Mar 25, 2010
Hi all,

I want to buy a Birkin, 40cm, black with palladium hardware. Clemence/Togo.

I am in HK, but the price in HK is very expensive and the waiting list here is long too.

I know that it is cheaper to buy one in Europe (France). So, I might consider flying to Paris to buy one. However, there is no way I can be sure that I have the bag in my return flight. Otherwise, I will have wasted the air fare.

Thus, according to your experience, is it easy to get your dream bag at your first visit in the Paris shop? THANKS and BIG THANKS.

There is no guarantee but if you spend a few days there, there's a chance you will get one. Look at the thread above for tips (eg, go to the store as soon as it opens or in the afternoon after a new batch come in etc).

Bear in mind if you buy your Birkin that way (off the shelf in Paris) you won't have your choice of colour, it depend on your luck what particular colour they have at the back. So unless you're happy with most colours that might not work out.

Good luck and don't forget the detax if you do get one there. :smile:

I would advise against going to Paris solely to Birkin hunt. You may end up very very disappointed.

I speak from personal experience - If you are only there for the Birkin, you may be sorely disappointed, so I say plan a vacation/work trip around it. That way, even if you don't get a Birkin, you would still leave Paris with something (like great vacation memories or a signed contract ;))

Thanks for all your advice.

A friend of mine will be going to Paris and London soon, perhaps I will ask him to help me. Of course, it is always good to plan a vacation to there. However it is way too far for me from Hong Kong.

i speak from personal experience too.
i was there for a week last Sept... I went every day .. and popped in whenever i could to score a b..... I scored a 40 the last day i was there..

but it's pure luck.. and takes a lot of patience..
so i wont go just to score a birkin... as mentioned above, you could be really disappointed~

But then i went when it was fashion week.. so i suppose it was worse back then..

I agree with Liz that it's pure luck and patience is a must!

I was in Paris for 30 hours in early February (arriving at 5am and leaving at 11am the day after). I didn't score any Birkin but I managed to put my order for one. And yesterday I've received the notification letter that my bag is ready for collection.

Do check out the Paris shopping thread!

Hi LuvBirkin

GREAT FOR YOU! Wondering if they are willing to send the bag to you or you must pay another visit to Paris to pick up the bag?

If you are living outside the European Union, will Hermes arrange tax rebate too? Thanks.

To Liz,

Thanks for your advice. I think I will see if they allow me to put my name on hold. If they agree to send the bag to me, this is certainly a good try.

I was in Paris for 30 hours in early February (arriving at 5am and leaving at 11am the day after). I didn't score any Birkin but I managed to put my order for one. And yesterday I've received the notification letter that my bag is ready for collection.

if you have no relationship with the SA, most likely it will be difficult for them to send a birkin to you.

40s imo are relatively easier to find. if you are in Paris for a week, the probability of finding a birkin40 is quite high from my experience. but again, it depends on the time of your travel such as summer holidays, and/or after major events in Paris. stocks fly out of the shelf very quickly in Paris but the good thing is that, they are also replenished quite quickly (in comparison)

good luck!

footlocker on the letter it's stated the price of the bag (including VAT) - for 30cm birkin it's 5400 Euros.

Then less 10% export discount --> 4860 Euros

Then put on shipping and insurance charges --> 172 Euros to Hong Kong

So total sum to pay is 5032 Euros.

After you settled the payment either by wire transfer or credit card (AE, Diners or JCB only) then they'll ship it to you (according to my friend it may take about 1 week).

I'm a newbie at FSH but seems like the whole process is not too painful, if the salespeople at FSH agrees to let you put a podium order. :smile: I do prepared myself (as advised by a lot of wise tPFers here!) to come back "empty-handed" though coz there are so many customers from different parts of the world going to FSH and George V everyday....
Hi LuvBirkin

GREAT FOR YOU! Wondering if they are willing to send the bag to you or you must pay another visit to Paris to pick up the bag?

If you are living outside the European Union, will Hermes arrange tax rebate too? Thanks.

To Liz,

Thanks for your advice. I think I will see if they allow me to put my name on hold. If they agree to send the bag to me, this is certainly a good try.

Last edited:
If you decided to go to Paris, remember not to give up asking. If a SA said no, ask another, keep coming back and ask another one. I was able to placed a SO without buying anything from the SA. Just keep asking and stick around.

Congrats!! Cannot wait to see your reveal :smile:

Congrats! Can't wait to see your reveal :yahoo: