Birkin or diamond necklace

Dec 24, 2012
I was in Nordstrom the other day and we passed by the jewelry section. I saw a nice diamond necklace for $22,000...not that I was going to buy it :smile:
After being bitten by the Chanel bug, I started educating myself about other luxury brands. So after seeing the necklace, my thoughts immediately went to Hermes. I don't own any of their products except perfume. I thought if I have $22,000 to spare would I buy this necklace or a birkin or kelly?
What would you do?

I was in Nordstrom the other day and we passed by the jewelry section. I saw a nice diamond necklace for $22,000...not that I was going to buy it :smile:
After being bitten by the Chanel bug, I started educating myself about other luxury brands. So after seeing the necklace, my thoughts immediately went to Hermes. I don't own any of their products except perfume. I thought if I have $22,000 to spare would I buy this necklace or a birkin or kelly?
What would you do?

I wouldn't buy a $22,000 piece of jewelry from Nordstrom. And neither a Kelly nor a Birkin in leather costs anywhere near $22,000. So ... dilemma solved.

For $22,000, you can buy a Birkin and a Kelly (depending on size). But it's more about availability of a B or a K which is not as readily available as a piece of jewelry.

Sorry for this naive question but I'm a beginner in Hermes. What did you mean when you said that about Birkin leather? Did you mean that a leather birkin is more than $22,000?

No, it costs in the region of about $11,000-$13,000 depending on the size, the leather, the location, the taxes, etc. if bought directly from Hermes. Bags from resellers are often more than the retail price.

So in other words, a store bought Birkin will cost much less than that necklace. Other skins (ostrich, lizard, croc, gator) are much more expensive.

If you have $22k to spend on a diamond necklace, there are other places, ways or vendors I might do it. Nordstrom is not a place to buy fine jewelry.

I would look into Van Cleef for some of their diamond pieces, though you may need to add a bit of money. I would look at Betteridge and 1st dibs, too. You can find lovely pieces from some of the finest dealers in the country.

I love Nordstroms RTW and shoes. jewelry not so much.

Def go for a Kelly or Birkin because you can use them in so many different occasions, while diamond necklace is more formal and sometimes scary to carry it... Bag is definitely more useful!

What if is a big if... LOL

But seriously, diamonds are always a girl's best friend & so is having a birkin or a kelly..
(many people will say Hermes b & k bags just keep going up in value)
so it's a tough dilemma but I would suggest that if & when the times comes to
make an investment in jewelry, that you have a walk through Tiffany, Harry Winston, Cartier
VCA, Graff & other top jewelry stores to see what 22K can buy & if you are interested
in "estate jewelry" shows are a great exposure in addition to auction catalogues..

Enjoy your Chanel bag .. a good "investment", too!!

Last edited:
My mom tried on a 15(?) I believe motif necklace form VCA. Gold and onyx, very beautiful on her and around 18,000 I believe. Matching earrings were 4,000 so together is your 22,000. We were having fun in the store, I don't think she would ever actually consider buying them, I would personally definitely go for the bag! I feel like theres much more use to it.

Now, If I had a completely disposable income then yes I'd probably get the pieces, but between the two definitely the bag!