Birkin needs help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi ladies,
I bought my Birkin 2 months ago on ebay and on the day i got the bag i directly went to Hermes Bond Street London. Asking for cleaning and i met Clair the lady who clean the bag there as well. My bag was left there about 1 month and i got it back on 17 May 2010.
I've decided to sell my bag away as i'm getting married next year so i put on ebay. But then there's someone posted my bag to authenticate and someone said my bag was FAKE!!! Then all my items were removed from ebay. And now i can't do nothing.
My question is does Hermes accept to clean the bag if the bag was fake?
I really need you ladies advise now. I'm going back to the shop in 15mins and will be back for an update.

xx

Hi ladies,
I bought my Birkin 2 months ago on ebay and on the day i got the bag i directly went to Hermes Bond Street London. Asking for cleaning and i met Clair the lady who clean the bag there as well. My bag was left there about 1 month and i got it back on 17 May 2010.
I've decided to sell my bag away as i'm getting married next year so i put on ebay. But then there's someone posted my bag to authenticate and someone said my bag was FAKE!!! Then all my items were removed from ebay. And now i can't do nothing.
My question is does Hermes accept to clean the bag if the bag was fake?
I really need you ladies advise now. I'm going back to the shop in 15mins and will be back for an update.

xx

The receipt for cleaning that you posted in your auction is the same as the one posted in the auction where you bought the bag. Interestingly, the seller from whom you got this bag sold the identical one the next day. I saw your listing and agree that the auction concerned me.

Now I am confused--you say you are on your way to the Hermes shop but in an earlier message you said you had already gone there today and talked to staff. Please clarify!

Okayyyy I'm on the way to do tax free as I'm leaving home in 2 days. U will see VAT stamp on the receipt soon. Pls trust me! I know it's confusing. My house only 15 mins away from Hermes bond street!!!

Now I am really confused. Of course I am not a VAT expert... But the receipt, if it was even legitimate, was for an I year bag bought originally years ago. Hermes would no longer have anything to do with the VAT process as the bag has changed hands several times and the original purchase was years ago and it is now many steps removed from Hermes, if the bag even originally was authentic and from a boutique.

If I understand VAT, it would only apply to the most recent transaction with the seller from whom you bought the bag on eBay on April 14. Hermes would not put a VAT stamp on a receipt that was 5-6 years old....

Do you get VAT on eBay purchases, especially if you live in the UK?

At any rate, it would not be anything where the VAT work would be done at an Hermes boutique after all these years and so many transactions. And I do not even know if you would qualify for VAT on an eBay transaction. Did the seller charge you VAT? Did you get paperwork?

I am lost.

Last edited:
Ok I'm doing the vat not for this Birkin but for other bag, twilly, bracelet, shoes that I bought. I'm not British I'm student here so I can claim vat. I'm leaving this wednesday. This Vat has nothing to do with this bag. I went to Hermes this morning I talked with SE not Claire person who clean my bag. She wasn't there this morning. I went again just to do vat and confirm with her. I've an appointment for my last fitting for my wedding gown I'll be home in 2 hours then will prove everything I have said about all the receipt. I'm outside and using my iPad now. Thanks so much!

If I understand VAT, it would only apply to the most recent transaction with the seller from whom you bought the bag on eBay on April 14. Hermes would not put a VAT stamp on a receipt that was 5-6 years old.... -This is correct. The VAT stamp would be given at the time that the VAT is paid to the comapny, in this instance Hermes.

Do you get VAT on eBay purchases, especially if you live in the UK? -If you live in the UK then you will not get a VAT refund. You only get a VAT refund if you are taking the item out of the UK.

At any rate, it would not be anything where the VAT work would be done at an Hermes boutique after all these years and so many transactions. And I do not even know if you would qualify for VAT on an eBay transaction. Did the seller charge you VAT? Did you get paperwork? -If the bag was bought from a private collector or from a lady who simply doesn't want the bag anymore, then you will not have paid VAT in the first place. VAT is not payable on "private" transactions of that type.

(sorry about the double post I cant seem to save an edit. :-s)

Just to point out that VAT is nothing to do with nationality - it gets paid on the basis of residency. Do not confuse residency (permanent or not) with domicile. As a foreigner based in the UK for a while, and having no intention to stay in the UK, you may be not domiciled for tax purposes in the UK, and this determines your income tax positon, but this is nothing to do with whether you are subject to VAT and whether you are resident for such purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.