Birkin & Kelly handbags as an investment...

IMO H as an investment plus justifying it to your husband would just really upset your DH, just try to convince him that you love the bag, you want it 'coz you've been constantly dreaming of it and it's time you deserve something a bit more expensive on what you used to have. Although promises can be made and more often be broken, try to promise him "JUST THIS ONCE SWEETIE". Perhaps he might change his mind and you know what the ideal move that should come next.:P

Thanks everyone for your comments!

Maybe the word "investment" was the wrong word for me to use. I totally agree that buying an H bag isn't an investment like real estate, etc. I know there's no guarantee that I would recoup my money if I ever sold my H bag. I was just trying to explain to DH that buying a bag wouldn't be a total waste of money.

Thanks to all of your wonderful comments, I now know that I was going about it the wrong way. I think I will take Bagtasia's advice and just tell DH how much I love the bags and then show him the 1956 ad that Florasun kindly provided.

Thanks, everyone!

Just point out that you love H bags so much you'll never want another make.... therefore you'll save the money you would have spent on "it" bags and put it towards a bag that will last you forever. It'll be the same amount spent at the end of the day but one H bag instead of a collection of "it" bags that will be out of fashion come next season.

Good luck!

This is good advice:

Lyanna Stark
Addict In Rehab

Go on eBay and show him the prices there. Tell him that birkins used to cost $4k retail. And they can still sell for slightly under current retail now 10 years later. $7k+ You may even make a profit if you use it long enough and keep it in good condition. And if you don't buy now, the price will appreciate and get more expensive to buy. It's the same as buying a watch.

But also, you could do the S'mom math and say Hey DH, If I buy three bags and keep them over 30 years, it works out to be .30 per day per bag (or whatever the real cost comes out to be) and then you convince him to let you buy the three and then do the "one in, one out" philosophy.

It is true that they will just get more expensive. If you come across a really great deal on something like new or preowned, and you love it and know you'll always use it, snap it up.