Birkin in New York. Feedback on stores please.

baileylab

O.G.
Apr 20, 2008
Hi Everyone!

I think i'll just cut to the chase and get that Birkin!

We'll be going to New York in March. Any luck scoring a Birkin there? Feedback on SAs there please. Will there be a birkin available also at JFK?
Do I have to buy a whole bunch of stuff to be able to ask for one? I sure hope not.

Thanks so much!

There have been a lot of things on the floor at both Madison and Wall St. MAdison is my local neighborhood store, but I primarily shop at Wall St - its just a smaller, more boutique vibe. You should not have any problem and there is no need to purhase anything else unless you see something you like. . .SA's are very nice. :biggrin:

New York is wonderful in March! You will have a great time! Lucky you!!!

Now, to answer your question---I think that your best bet will be the WS store. Much lower key than Madison, and my SA Linda at WS is the greatest!!!! However, you should also go to Madison. Both sometimes have Birkins on the shelf, and pretty much always in the back. No Birkins at JFK.

While I don't know whether you will need to buy additional things to get a Birkin in NY these days, it probably wouldn't hurt! Maybe someone else who has had recent experience as a "walk-in" in NYC could comment.

thanks 880, Kipp.

That's why our hotel will definitely be near an H store. I don't even know where to stay - the wall street side (will it be isolated at night?) or around 5th avenue? where the Madison store & bergdorf will be there.

Is there an H store in Bergdorf? It's been showing up in google maps.

New York is wonderful in March! You will have a great time! Lucky you!!!

Now, to answer your question---I think that your best bet will be the WS store. Much lower key than Madison, and my SA Linda at WS is the greatest!!!! However, you should also go to Madison. Both sometimes have Birkins on the shelf, and pretty much always in the back. No Birkins at JFK.

While I don't know whether you will need to buy additional things to get a Birkin in NY these days, it probably wouldn't hurt! Maybe someone else who has had recent experience as a "walk-in" in NYC could comment.

I was at WS a few weeks ago and there was at least one 35 or 40cm Birkin on display. I wasn't there for a bag, but I did notice it. I'm almost positive that is gone, but I'm sure there are plenty to take its place. The NYC stores have a healthy stock. If they do have what you want in the store, there's no necessity to load up on smaller items. However, if there's something that you want that isn't in the store or in the back, it really depends on which SA you happen to get. In general, I do find that it's a bit easier to access Birkins these days.

I also have to agree that the Madison Ave store can be quite intimidating and overwhelming. You may also be tempted to actually load up on smaller items anyway, thus providing you a more solid chance at getting your Birkin.

No matter what, you're definitely going to have fun.

thanks 880, Kipp.

That's why our hotel will definitely be near an H store. I don't even know where to stay - the wall street side (will it be isolated at night?) or around 5th avenue? where the Madison store & bergdorf will be there.

Is there an H store in Bergdorf? It's been showing up in google maps.

There is an H counter at Bergdorfs - good for scarves and GM c/s and mousseline, and useful if you want an older twill or shawl. (I just got an email, that they just received 09 fall GM c/s. So, if you decide in March that you have to have a fall shawl but cannot find at H, chances are Bergdorf's might still have it. No leather goods, very limited scarf rings, no bracelets.

Almost everyone I know who goes to Wall St Hermes -does so by subway - its too time consuming re traffic during the day from UES. I would recommend staying uptown because even if you want to go to Wall St H or the LES or downtown restaurants, for dinners its easy enough to go via taxi.

By the way, JMO, the Wall St store, once they know you, are incredibly accommodating via email/ charge send etc. My Madison SA doesn't email which makes me liable to zip down to Wall St. However, Madison still gets more stuff and earlier in the season (JMO).

I'm really looking for a 30 in any dark color. i guess i'll have to go with lighter attitude. good if i get it, good if i don't. I don't want my soon to be birkin having a bad taste just because of some stupid SA. I'll probbly just walk in and exchange pleasantries and ask flat out if they have a birkin. if not then that's fine....

any tips on NY?

i guess i have to relocate our hotel to H madison instead of beside Bergdorf's.... both are near central park anyways

thanks 880, Kipp.

The Pierre is probably the closest. It's technically 2 blocks away from the Madison H and 3 blocks away from Bergdorfs. Less pricey is the Carlyle on Madison Ave in the 70s.

Also, be sure that when at Madison, go to ALL floors to see everything---they have a HUGE selection of household items and jewelry (much of these not usually seen in the other H stores) and a museum of changing photography exhibits on the top floor. For the longest time, I got "stuck" on the main floor and now when I visit (NY isn't my home), I always take a stroll through the whole store.

BTW, ITA with 880 that Madison "gets more stuff and earlier in the season". However, if you want to take your time looking at things and not feel rushed, WS is better.

Also agree that you should stay somewhere midtown or uptown, and take the subway to WS during the day. It's very easy to get there since virtually no matter which line you take downtown, you are close---Manhattan is pretty narrow down there.

i guess i have to relocate our hotel to H madison instead of beside Bergdorf's.... both are near central park anyways

Additional hotels walkable to Hermes Madison (mix of quality and price point)

Peninsula (my fav luxury chain)
St regis
Four Seasons
Plaza Athenee

Hotel Parker Meridien
Plaza (Fairmont chain?)
Warwick
Omni Berkshire
HIlton (on 56th and 6th)
Former Rhiga Royal

If you are staying for a while, Allan house on UES has suite apartments.

P.S. I haven;'t seen 30 birkins in dark colors, but I haven;t looked or asked. I am sure they will be happy to show you whatever they have. :biggrin:

880 has given you a great list. There are many hotels in NYC midtown that are good. Typically they are very pricey---but one way to avoid that is to use "points" from your favorite hotel chain or credit card (or maybe airline). One very good friend of mine here on tpf has used points to stay at the St. Regis (I think using Marriott points) and the Waldorf-Astoria (? Hilton points)... Just a thought. Before we got our apartment in NY, it was always a challenge to find a great place to stay (especially when we brought the kids and wanted two rooms or a suite) for something reasonable (and I'm being very generous here with what I consider "reasonable").