Birkin handles: thickness

golconda

O.G.
Sep 14, 2006
This was discussed some time before, but there can be a good bit of difference in the thickness of Birkin handles. I think it must vary with craftsmen.
A friend and I have been comparing Birkin handles and discussing which is better, thick or thin.
I thought the thin ones are harder to make and a sign of better workmanship. She thinks the thicker ones feel better in your hand and are sturdier.
Any thoughts?

I've never really noticed, I do think that handles on HACs appear to be slightly thicker. But I've never took much notice to birkin handles having different thicknesses, I'm going to go feel all of mine to see if I feel differences.

I too, have noticed this difference of thickness in Birkin handles.

I prefer thin ones as for a sign of better crafmanship AND better feeling in my hands!

I too, have noticed this difference of thickness in Birkin handles.

I prefer thin ones as for a sign of better crafmanship AND better feeling in my hands!

Thanks Perlerare. I always value your expert opinion. Do you think this has something also to do with the thickness of the skins used?
We compared 2 Birkins of the same size and skin and one set of handles was huge compared to the other one. I looked at seamed edge and tried to determine if the skins were thicker on one.

I've noticed this too: my 35 Swift Birkin has thinner handles than my other Birkins in the same size (Clemence, Barenia, Box, Vache Naturelle) I have no idea why this is.....I don't think it's a matter of better craftsmanship, more likely the type of leather....

I've noticed this too: my 35 Swift Birkin has thinner handles than my other Birkins in the same size (Clemence, Barenia, Box, Vache Naturelle) I have no idea why this is.....I don't think it's a matter of better craftsmanship, more likely the type of leather....

actually i did feel a slight different with my swift--didnt look much different but felt slimmer

Easiest way to find out is if someone on here could compare two same sized bags in the same leather that way you'd know if it was down to workmanship or leather

Speak and you shall receive.....
I notice all the handles are different. I really notice handles because that is how you carry these bags and the feel of each bag is different.
I recently noticed the difference in 2 bags I have. Both are 35cm matte crocodile and the handles are like night and day. I have enclosed pics for all to see. The lighter color skin is significantly larger and the handle feels glorious (to me). I prefer a thicker, larger handle for the feel. The thinner handle for me seems a little weak. Just my opinion, I am not an expert, just stating what I like to use.
CDL

Attachments

• 4001.jpg
    4001.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 694
  • 4002.jpg
    4002.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 688
Thanks Perlerare. I always value your expert opinion. Do you think this has something also to do with the thickness of the skins used?
We compared 2 Birkins of the same size and skin and one set of handles was huge compared to the other one. I looked at seamed edge and tried to determine if the skins were thicker on one.

I too had 2 Birkins of the same size/leather/color in hands and there was a huge difference in handle thickness. I am convinced it is a craftmanship thing. Since the handle are hand made from A to Z :yes:.....

I guess the way we like handles also depends on the size of our hands ...
I am petite and have small ( short) hands, so I feel more confortable carrying a bag with thin handles....
This apllies to Kellys as well.. I do not like large handle for a Kelly, I prefer a narrow one, and there are huge differences there, too !

Would thinner handles throw off the balance of the bag or the pull on the front? Thinner handles mean you can't load your bag as much.
Has anyone noticed a difference in what year the bags were made?
Thank you CDL for the visual.