Birkin Handle Thickness

EMNH

Nov 10, 2006
I've been meaning to ask this question. When did Hermes change the thickness on the handles of the Birkin? My oldest Birkin is a '94 and my newest is 2005. They are both 30cm. The '94 is a Gulliver and the '05 is Togo. The '94 Birkin handles are thicker and the seam on the handle is wider. I don't think it's due to the leather...and obviously not the bag size. I have a Birkin from '97 35cm Box...with thicker handles as well.

I would call and ask my SA's but I don't want to bother them with a non-purchase question during shopping season. Those of you with older Birkins do you notice this difference as well?

I know that Birkins and Kellys are getting tweaked all the time but exactly when did they thin out the handles?

I was reminded of this quandry when I was in 'Stars and Hermes'...looking at the photos of Kate Moss' birkins, as well as Jane Birkin's birkins, I see the older thicker handles.

Hi EMNH,
I have wondered about this also. My oldest B is from 92 (buffalo) and I have a buffalo from 2004. I just measured both with a mm caliper and the newer B has handles that are 1 mm smaller in both dimensions, but the older one is a 40 and newer is a 35. I measured other 35's and got varying measurements.
Comparing a Box and a Togo, both 35's from 2002, the Box handles are thicker than the Togo. My Clemence is thinner than Box. Chevre is the thinnest. I would think some is due to leather type and the craftsman.
Is this any help, or just confusing?