Birkin for grad school?

sonya

Feb 23, 2006
What are your thoughts of getting a birkin for grad school? It will be for a PhD program, first two years will be classes. Not really worried about it being stolen (more so than another bag), as it is in a safe area and the program is mostly men anyway. Practical? Too "flashy"? Etc.?

I'm in grad school for a PhD program and I carry a JanSport backpack. That's what everyone carries. I don't have any H bags, but even if I did I wouldn't take one to grad school anyway. Why take an expensive bag to places where if there aren't enough seats in a lecture hall you have to put your bag on the floor so everyone can have a seat?

the program is mostly men anyway. Practical? Too "flashy"? Etc.?

Engineering? Most men, unless they are into fashion, can't tell the difference anyway. Birkins are never practical for school, and rather than too flashy, might be thought of as too matronly – I certainly thought of them that way when I went to grad school!

Personally I think it's too flashy for grad school.

I went through b-school carrying some unknown backpack. My intention was to learn, not to show off fashion to people who didn't understand fashion. Only the last semester did I carry my Louis Vuitton because by then I'd secured a good job at a major investment bank and I didn't give a ** anymore.

BTW, last semester, I had my laptop stolen, not my LV bag. Go figure! ;)

I'd have felt really self-conscious bringing a Birkin (or any other expensive fashion accessory) to grad school. It probably depends on your school and program, but in my case, a Birkin was equivalent to a semester's stipend, and that's all a lot of people had to live on. True, your fellow students may not know or care what a Birkin is (especially if they're men), but if one person does, that's the sort of information that will travel fast and possibly cause resentment among other students who have to scrimp just to get by. Again, it really depends, but that's from my experience.

i love and own Birkins now but I wasnt ready to carry one around when I was in grad school. it's just not a practical bag to carry books in since the bag itself can be quite heavy. I used a Garden Party all through grad school and after all these years I still have that bag.

I disagree. If you can afford it, I think you should do it. I don't believe in stifling your personality so you can fit in with others. Though very obviously not blonde, I was known as the "Elle Woods" of my law school and remained that way even when I was studying for the bar. That didn't affect my performance or what anyone thought of me. I was that way before I started so I didn't see any reason to now all of a sudden wearing runners and backpacks to conform to everyone else's standards of what's acceptable grad school wear. I carried LV, Burberry, Prada, and Gucci in law school (though my main "bookbags" were nylon Longchamp). Obviously a Birkin is a cut above those mentioned, but I say go for it if it won't interfere with your finances. And also have a practical alternative on days when you need to carry a lot of books and papers, etc.

I love the idea of using a birkin during grad school. A 40cm would be a great and fashionable carry all for books, laptops, etc. I don’t think it’s too flashy. I haven’t been to grad school (yet) but during undergrad I studied Economics (another area of that’s dominated by men) and I always carried big designer handbags/backpacks/messenger bags to class. I received many compliments and if I had discovered H while I was in undergrad, I would have worn birkins and kellys too!

I also wouldn’t worry about it being stolen more than any other bag. If anyone were to steel anything in a student area, they’d definitely choose electronics over handbags.

In some ways it can be too flashy, but whatever you feel is right will be right. When I was earning my undergrad I went to school dressed to thrill even though the school was the furthest away from fashion. Now I'm in fashion school, so it's like a fashion show everyday. It honestly depends on what will make you feel comfortable and happy.

well. let me get my point across again. the reason why i wouldnt suggest using it as a grad school bag is it's heavy. i use mine as a diaper bag now and i think it's quite bad for the arms and imagine stuffing books in there.

if you dont mind the weight of it, go for it! you will receive plenty of compliments!

As long as you are comfortable with it although I personally would not. Furthest I went was using a Prada backpack and a Prada shopper for all my books and files in grad school, those bags went through sun, rain and snow from lecture halls to clinics to lab.