Birkin for grad school?

Very well said...I totally agree with this.

Of course people shouldn't judge others by what they wear, but unfortunately that's just the way society works. Other's first impressions of you *do* play a role in your career and in other things in life. You may be the smartest, most experienced candidate for a job, but then you end up not being selected for it, simply because you wore jeans & a T shirt to the interview, instead of a suit. is that fair? no, but that's how things are. the same goes for this situation..i'm sure others (students & professors) could start getting the wrong idea when they see a student carrying around handbags that cost an entire semester's stipend. they may make assumptions that the student gets outside money (from parents, etc) and therefore doesn't need further financial assistance (and take away scholarship $$). or a professor may wonder why she's in grad school if she can already afford such luxurious items, and therfore infer that she's not serious about her studies (i'm not saying this is right assumption, i'm just saying this is what some profs may think).

this reminds me of a similar thread (i think it was in the LV forum) where someone was worried about carrying a very expensive handbag to their new job. they were worried because they were starting out at an entry-level position and they did not want to "show anyone up" (e.g. the big bosses) by carrying around a expensive designer bag, right after starting the job. some people replied with "you should wear whatever you want, don't care what others think". well i wish it were that simple. it's not completely unbelievable if some senior managers in the company noticed it and got the wrong impression (e.g. she must be daddy's little girl, not very serious about her career, etc) and thus would pass her up for a promotion later on down the line.

so i agree with what India said about waiting a bit until your academic career is more established and/or the profs/students know you a bit more.

I don't know about not getting your job because you wear T-shirts and jeans to the interview; to me it's not that surprising that that will happen. I think it's perfectly legitimate and it shows that a worker or potential worker is serious in her job if she dresses professionally. It's the same as if I were to go on a stage as a classical music performer wearing that same T-shirt and jeans. That's not discrimination; it's something that's simply not acceptable given the settings. Now if you are not offered the job because you wore a birkin to the interview that would be different.

Personally, I am grateful for the financial security my parents have endowed me because to me that allows me to concentrate on whatever it is I want to do. I don't know about other people though; maybe their parents are rich but not super rich to the point as to guarantee their children of a work-free life?

I pretty much respect anyone who goes to grad school and honestly works there-- I do know some people who do not work and since it's all group-based, they make life a lot harder on the rest of us. :yucky:

Anyway, I think too few people consider education to be important, so I have extra respect for people who value education for just the sake of becoming more knowledgeable. To me, it's kind of like doing something nice for someone when you know they'll never realize it to thank you. :biggrin:

I pretty much respect anyone who goes to grad school and honestly works there-- I do know some people who do not work and since it's all group-based, they make life a lot harder on the rest of us. :yucky:

Anyway, I think too few people consider education to be important, so I have extra respect for people who value education for just the sake of becoming more knowledgeable. To me, it's kind of like doing something nice for someone when you know they'll never realize it to thank you. :biggrin:

I totally agree :biggrin: that's why I don't ever think $$$ should be the only emphasis in life. And as for those grad school horror stories I myself have sure heard a lot about them :shocked:. It's really scary...From what I have heard the lack of work ethic spreads far and wide, affects undergrads as well as grads students alike, and permeate every field imaginable. But as far as I know the engineers and other people who have required group projects really have it hard. :s My brother and one of my friends both suffered from groups full of lazy bums :Push: I don't really comprehend going to school and not doing work though; why even go? Would companies really hire jellyfishes like they?

Both my undergrad degree and current masters involve EXTENSIVE groupwork, and it's soul destroying.

Between managing meetings, the people who are late with every tiny part, the people who want to meet up and discuss EVERYTHING, and the fights about who gets stuck with the unenviable position of editing the final draft (which usually happens the morning the project is due as no one ever sends you their work by the time they are supposed to)... Really, it's a nightmare.

And that's with the nice people. I'm not even getting into the whole area of people who do little or substandard work. Or both! :/

Is it just me, or would anyone else be more impressed with someone being in grad school if they had the finances to turn their back on education and doss around for the rest of their life? Personally, I think anyone who goes to the effort of continuing on their education when they don't strictly have to should be applauded; it would be a lot easier for someone in this position to not care about knowledge than someone who desperately needed a MA/PhD in order to get a well-paying job...

I personally think it is very, very hard to do a Ph.D in something unless you are truly interested in it and have a knack for what you are doing. In most of the sciences getting a Ph.D is tantamount to lowering your job opportunities and many employers think your scope is too 'narrow' as compared to a person with a Master's degree.

As regards clothing - well yes, clothing and bags do create impressions on people and affect things like need-based scholarship money, but then there's this guy I know who dresses in designer clothing and is in his 11th year of the PhD program...the moment he goes to a conference and opens his mouth everyone knows he's just a clothes horse.

I personally think it is very, very hard to do a Ph.D in something unless you are truly interested in it and have a knack for what you are doing. In most of the sciences getting a Ph.D is tantamount to lowering your job opportunities and many employers think your scope is too 'narrow' as compared to a person with a Master's degree.

As regards clothing - well yes, clothing and bags do create impressions on people and affect things like need-based scholarship money, but then there's this guy I know who dresses in designer clothing and is in his 11th year of the PhD program...the moment he goes to a conference and opens his mouth everyone knows he's just a clothes horse.

Are you even allowed to take 11 years with your PhD? :wtf:

sometimes restraint gets you further in the long run. yes sure get it if you want it. however--no offense to anyone--there are a lot of people on here who do not work and have no concept of the real working world. you dont just always wear a chanel suit or a 6 carat diamond or a birkin because you can or because you can afford it or because if "you love it go for it." people are jealous, insecure or just plain dont have the money and there are certain things that are best kept out of certain environments. its a judgment call in every situation..................i have had people ask me why i work because they see what i have on occasion. is it rude yes..........thats the world whether others verbalize their thoughts or not

ITA:tup:

If I were you (being able to get a birkin now), I'd bring it to school. Even no one knows abt her but there's one knows (that's ME). I'm a person that keeping my bag beside me always so I don't worried abt being stolen.

If your heart tells, just do it!

I thought of Legally Blonde when I saw your thread! :rolleyes: I think it's way too flashy to carry it to schools! I agree buying a birkin whenever you are "ready" but not carry it for school purpose. Even with a prof. carries birkin to lectures, I would just like :nuts:! IMO

Is it just me, or would anyone else be more impressed with someone being in grad school if they had the finances to turn their back on education and doss around for the rest of their life? Personally, I think anyone who goes to the effort of continuing on their education when they don't strictly have to should be applauded; it would be a lot easier for someone in this position to not care about knowledge than someone who desperately needed a MA/PhD in order to get a well-paying job...

Yes, I think this is more of the case here ... no one gets a PhD in my field (which, by the way isn't engineering, I never said that) unless they really are interested in the field. I can earn much more money now working at a hedge fund than doing what I plan on doing with my PhD.

This is really true. I had a friend who saved up really hard and bought herself a few designer bags. Academic year support runs 9 months, summer support is awarded at the discretion of whatever professor you work for. My friend wasn't awarded an RA for the summer and part of the fall and it sort of trickled down the grapevine that the professor thought she was well-off enough to support herself during the summer months and had given the money to someone else. Losing $9000+ of funding for carrying a LV didn't seem to be quite worth it.

Wow. That's awful.

I have guaranteed full funding for the entire time. I don't think the school offers funding based on need, but academic scholarship.

I am the same. Either people thought I was weird or fabulous because of what I wore in school.... I know my classmates will most likely discount me anyway based on what I wear, but I refuse to dress "down" just because other people dress casually. I do not dress for other people. And those who judge solely based on what someone wears is much shallower than the person who carries a birkin....

I like this... Please do whatever makes you happy. I m sure you know what is appropriate for you. Go for it sweetie. :smile: