Birkin at church??

lucydoe

O.G.
Sep 17, 2008
I live in a upper middle class suburb of DC. Most of our friends are professionals and business owners. However no one else (that I know of) has a Birkin. I would like to carry mine to church but I feel very self conscious. Especially because birkins are so iconic and instantly recognizable. My DH also thinks it isn't a good idea cuz he thinks it's too showy. Most I've seen are women with Chanels and bottegas.

I know this is such a stupid question!! I feel so dumb for posting this but are there inappropriate places to wear yr birkins? Are there occasions or places you don't carry yr Hermes because you feel too self conscious?

I don't think it's inappropriate to carry your Birkin to church, but I definitely understand how you feel. I've actually wonder the very same thing. I don't have a Birkin yet, but I have other Hermes bags. Thankfully no one has recognized my bags, but the first time I carried one to church, I did feel a little strange carrying such an expensive bag.

I think it's safe to say God would appreciate the craftsmanship.

Honestly it's about who you are - are you an upstanding person who cares about your church and it's members and gives back to the community when you can (which I am sure you are!:biggrin:)? Then you take your beautiful bag to church and give thanks for it.

Which is also a good response should anyone ask about it. "I thought it was time I thanked <fill in your deity >for allowing me to have such a beautiful bag!" :angel:

I think it

1. depends on your motivations-- do you want to bring it to attract attention or just because it matches your outfit? either is perfectly fine, just come to terms with why you want to.

2. will it impact negatively how others view you at church? will it get more negative stares, or compliments?

some purists would say, don't bring anything to church that will attract attention to you that otherwise should be on G-d.. but that is a whole other issue.

If it was me, I'd probably not bring a super bright one, But maybe black or brown, something understated. Maybe you could also drape a scarf over the front a bit, so to make it look a bit more like a tote? Where you couldn't see "hermes" and the classic hardware.

I think it would be totally ok to carry it to church, specially if other members do carry designer bags. No need to feel self conscious about it. It's a beautiful bag, and must be enjoyed. :girlsigh:

I also had this temptation as well :smile: There is other lady at my church who carries orange birkin as well, and I do carry my birkins to church. But the most important thing is not what others would think of you... I think there is more deep and important thing thing than what other people would think. And YES I do carry my designer bags whether or not they give me stares or not, because that is NOT the important thing. Hope it helped :amuse:

It's totally ok to wear your birkin to church..but I know how you feel..the feeling of people might look and stare at you...mix comments sometimes play in your mind..I've only used mine once for I get conscious about it..this is where my other purses comes in...:smile:

:goodpost:

I think it

1. depends on your motivations-- do you want to bring it to attract attention or just because it matches your outfit? either is perfectly fine, just come to terms with why you want to.

2. will it impact negatively how others view you at church? will it get more negative stares, or compliments?

some purists would say, don't bring anything to church that will attract attention to you that otherwise should be on G-d.. but that is a whole other issue.

If it was me, I'd probably not bring a super bright one, But maybe black or brown, something understated. Maybe you could also drape a scarf over the front a bit, so to make it look a bit more like a tote? Where you couldn't see "hermes" and the classic hardware.

I think it depends on the colour of your Birkin and how it co-ordinates with the whole outfit. A bright-coloured bag against a total black outfit will attract much (unnecessary) attention, while a black, grey, gold or brown bag with a more conservative/understated outfit will be more appropriate, IMO.

Feeling comfortable with your outfit is very important, though. So if for some reason you don't feel comfortable enough to be the only lady with a Birkin in the church, then I'd suggest you pass.

I carry my Gris T Birkin to church and have had no funny looks at all (from what I recall). Perhaps that is because where I am, H is basically not recognized and so most folks just think it is a basic bag (well truly at the end of the day it really is just a bag...but a nice one..hehehe). Like anything too "blingy or bold" stick with an understated color and you will be fine. Dont put too much thought into this, just carry and enjoy...

If you feel self conscious, then I would not bring it to church, I am sure you have plenty other bags that you can use. You want to feel good when you use your birkin and not have to worry about what other people thinks.