Birkin at church??

I carry my orange 35 every Sunday...to be honest, it's the only bag I have that comfortably fits my 2600 page study Bible! :P I don't feel uncomfortable about it and not many people notice it at all. I agree with what many other posters have said though--if it makes you uncomfortable then leave it at home for the morning. :flowers:

I've been going to the same small Asian church since before I was born. Everyone knows everyone's business and it's not a bad thing but unfortunately it makes for a lot of gossip. If someone is driving a new car or carrying an expensive bag it's always a topic of conversation. When I was in college my then boyfriend bought me an LV pouchette for my birthday. It was small, I carried it in my armpit, kept it in my lap or in my coat, definitely not showing it off. That evening I get a call from my mom saying that I shouldn't wear expensive things to church because it's "showing off" and I shouldn't be carrying such expensive things at such a young age.

I think it really depends on the church you go to. I mean there are ladies carrying Chanel at your church already. But to go with PopTart and everyone else, if it makes you uncomfortable wear something else. Plus I don't know if this ever happens with Hermes because I don't own one yet :smile: But whenever I get a new bag, I have it on a pedestal being really careful and conscious of it but after a few weeks of wearing it, it becomes another bag to me.

Well if church is good enuf for Chanels, it is certainly good enough for Hermes. If one is concerned about drawing attention, well one could draw attention if you just threw your stuff in a Glad bag (in an attempt to not be showy).

That's cheeky but I get what you're saying and I used to feel that way about Chanels. I got a chuckle out about let the Lord be proud of the Hermes craftsmanship. Ya know at the end of the day life is too dang short to worry about what others think, and I've been in those shoes and perhaps it is our own insecurity that gnaws at us.

Enjoy life, the scraps of happiness whatever they are for each of us. Supposedly everyone attends church to hear the Word of God, pay respect and give thanks and by that I don't mean just the material possessions but the gift of being.

If you go with your instincts, you won't be sidetracked with worry. When you feel comfortable taking the Hermes to church, you will do so and hopefully the earth did come to an end. If it does, we'll know a birkin went to church.

I sometimes carry my two Kellys to church, but then I live in a town where VERY few people have any idea what Hermes even is (other than scarves - a local boutique carried them years ago, but no more). More often, I carry a smaller "ladies church bag". Most of mine are vintage Lederer croc bags that were "inspired by" Hermes. I've never had anyone notice or comment on them, either. I do get comments/compliments on my shawls when I wear them. Go with your gut on this one...

I've carried mine -- I am usually rushing out the door and grab whatever bag I've been using. No one gives it a second look.
That's usually what happens to me. I'm always rushing out with DD that I don't have time to switch bags, which means that my super casual barenia Birkin ends up going to church no matter how dressed up I am. Plus, DD leaves the house with a whole entourage of dolls that even if I do have time to switch bags, I usually still reach for the Birkin just so I have room for all her danged dolls! The only time I get looks is when I wear my super high heels (Tribtoos and Tributes)...and almost fall on my face walking into the sanctuary :biggrin:

I do agree with others that if you feel hesitant about carrying it, then go with your gut feeling.

I wear my 40cm kelly to church but its black and with the canvas strap so it just kinda blends in with my jans. Oh sure, every now and then a woman will compliment me but i keep it so understated. Its also retourne so leas formai. No one recognizes my bolide or harden party. And my 35 sellier and 28 sellier generate more attention than i wouldmlike in any situation somout of respect to my Lord I avoid using the formal bags unless its a wedding ormfuneral. But there is no harm in wearing whatever you want to church. No sin in that! So go for it! And enjoy!

Well if church is good enuf for Chanels, it is certainly good enough for Hermes. If one is concerned about drawing attention, well one could draw attention if you just threw your stuff in a Glad bag (in an attempt to not be showy).

That's cheeky but I get what you're saying and I used to feel that way about Chanels. I got a chuckle out about let the Lord be proud of the Hermes craftsmanship. Ya know at the end of the day life is too dang short to worry about what others think, and I've been in those shoes and perhaps it is our own insecurity that gnaws at us.

Enjoy life, the scraps of happiness whatever they are for each of us. Supposedly everyone attends church to hear the Word of God, pay respect and give thanks and by that I don't mean just the material possessions but the gift of being.

If you go with your instincts, you won't be sidetracked with worry. When you feel comfortable taking the Hermes to church, you will do so and hopefully the earth did come to an end. If it does, we'll know a birkin went to church.

Well said and I totally agree, it's a real shame when you have possibly begged/yearned/saved/sold a kidney etc to find the bag(s) of your dreams to then not carry them because you feel self conscious, whether it is in church or elsewhere. Enjoy them, they are after all only bags:smile:

If you would feel self-conscious about it the I think you ought to leave off carrying it to church. Sensing or wondering about undue stares would most likely distract you from the service.
Other than that I have absolutely no qualms about carrying a birkin to church. The only reasons I don't are because of pew space and my two cheeky angels who keep my hands so busy I prefer hands-free clutches for church.