Birkin 40 for petite frame?

kissowl

O.G.
Dec 24, 2009
I'm 5'3" and 92 lbs. I have both kelly and birkin 35 and I don't feel these are big enough to carry all my everyday essentials. I'm looking into birkin 40 now. My mom thinks it will look ridiculous for my size but what do you guys think about it? Would it look awkward on small frame?

Your Mom is right. That 40cm will swallow you whole not to mention the weight! It's heavy and it would look quite out of proportion to your petite frame.

I am just slightly shorter than you are and until not too long ago weighed that exact amount.

I will preface by saying you have to get what YOU love and to heck with what anyone thinks (unless they're paying - LOL!)

My opinion is that I have and LOVE huge bags when they're NOT structured. A birkin is a very structured bag - even if you get a slouchy leather like clemence. I have a 35 and think there's no way I could go larger. It would dwarf me and be totally off proportionally. For ME.

When I need to carry more than the birkin 35 will carry, I switch out to one of my big non-structured bags. Besides, I couldn't carry a 40 loaded up. :biggrin:

I am taller at 5'4" and heavier at 105 pounds, and my first Birkin was a 40cm and I loved that bag, BUT it was too big for me and I sold it. A 40cm Birkin fully loaded weighs a ton. I think it is too big for you.

I just realized you are the size of the Olsen twins, there are a few pictures on this Forum of them toting enormous Birkins, if you like the look then who is to tell you differently? But I still think it is too big.

I'm 5'3 99 pounds, and my first birkin was a black 40cm, I also ended up selling it. It was too big for me and heavy! So I ended up buying a 35cm clemence. I've seen some girls carry it off, but I think that size is better as a weekender.

not sure im not all that big im mean im not petit but not big and 4o is wonderfull i wear it a lot you are welcome to my albums see what you think !

I'm 5'3" and 92 lbs. I have both kelly and birkin 35 and I don't feel these are big enough to carry all my everyday essentials. I'm looking into birkin 40 now. My mom thinks it will look ridiculous for my size but what do you guys think about it? Would it look awkward on small frame?

I saw one today, and I think it's a beautiful bag, but very much like a carry on tote for traveling. It looked quite large on me.....and I'm 5'4" and about 112 lbs. JMO:smile:

i think you will find the weight to be an issue . . . i have friends who are 5'7 and can't carry a 40 all day . . . what are you carrying in your bag that doesn't fit in the 35? could you perhaps streamline things a bit?

i'm 5'0, 85lbs and i don't even carry a 30, only my baby 25s (^(oo)^)

Hiyyo! We're almost the same proportions, I'm 5'3", 95lbs..don't think I'd carry a 40 because of the sheer weight of the bag but....

Hey, if you have the confidence to rock a 40, go for it! It may be heavy but if you're willing to grin and bear the weight of the bag for the sake of being able to carry your essentials, then by all means go for it!!

Besides, look at the Olsen twins(babebei also mentioned this). They're small and they love carrying giant bags. It's whatever you feel most comfortable with. People are always going to think this or that but hey, if you're happy toting around a 40cm, go for it hun!

I have one 40cm birkin right now--a brique clemence with ghw, I love it and I get compliments on it. Because it is clemence, the feel is less structured than some other birkins. Very flexible and squooshy.....

I used to be 5'6" and have dropped with age (!) to 5'5" This is not and will never be my everyday bag. I take it to events where I have to tote tons of paperwork and things. And it is my go-to bag for every trip I take. I love it because it is flexible enough to put under the seat or in the overhead.

A more structured stiff leather would create a bigger "look" in my opinion.

But while it might be tough to carry off, you have to think about what you need and what you love. Listen to the perspectives here. But in the end, think less about how it makes you look and more about whether it is what you need and what you love. Heels and a killer attitude will get a shorter person a long way.....

I have one 40cm birkin right now--a brique clemence with ghw, I love it and I get compliments on it. Because it is clemence, the feel is less structured than some other birkins. Very flexible and squooshy.....

I used to be 5'6" and have dropped with age (!) to 5'5" This is not and will never be my everyday bag. I take it to events where I have to tote tons of paperwork and things. And it is my go-to bag for every trip I take. I love it because it is flexible enough to put under the seat or in the overhead.

But while it might be tough to carry off, you have to think about what you need and what you love. Listen to the perspectives here. But in the end, think less about how it makes you look and more about whether it is what you need and what you love. Heels and a killer attitude will get a shorter person a long way.....

Amen to that!

I second that AMEN! It's gotten me through!

Perigord - Heels and a killer attitude will get a shorter person a long way.....

Well said!

KissOwl - a 40 will be very very heavy. I've tried on empty ones in th estore, and by the look on my face, the SA said it would be too heavy for me and that's before I even opened my mouth! Still, if you can handle it - more power to you!