BIN Buyer Does Not Meet Requirement

poptarts

O.G.
Aug 21, 2007
Hi all,

A buyer just recently hit BIN on one of my auctions. I've clearly stated that buyers with less than certain number of feedback may not bid on my auction and I reserve the right to cancel any bid. I checked his/her feedback record, even though it is at 100% and there are recent activity, but most of his/her purchases were under $20 random items and mine is an expensive designer bag. I've sent her a message saying I'm very sorry but unfortunately I'm not able to complete this transaction and sent her a mutual cancellation request.

She responded saying she's happy to pay now and if I would reconsider. She is a domestic buyer so does help a little. However as nice as it would be to clear out some space in the closet. I feel a little uneasy if I were to say yes. My questions are 1) Is there any way I can make sure I will be covered if *knock on wood* something does happen? I understand if you pay with CC through paypal you can file a chargeback at anytime, is there anyway to request for e-check or another method where a chargeback is not an option? I will of course insure the package of its full value and put an adult signature confirmation on it. and 2) From what I understand, eBay doesn't always honor a seller's policy in the listing, so if she does reject my request to cancel the transaction, is there anything I can do to get my final value fees back?

Thanks so much for all your help :smile:

You can state that newbies contact you but there's no ebay mechanism to block them. Ebay doesn't want to discourage new members and since we were all new at one time, it's unfair to paint all newbies as potential PITAs.

According to ebay policy, you're obligated to sell to her and as long as her payment says "okay to ship," you must ship to that address on the PP details page.

By refusing to honor her purchase, you risk a NPS ding.

If it were my item, I'd sell it to her and follow proper procedure. If < $250, you don't need s.c. although if it makes you feel more comfortable, you can use it.

Based on her history and communication (as you've described), she sounds fine.

ETA: Note that during the holidays, you're more apt to get non-regular users who are purchasing gifts. To disallow their purchases just because they aren't spendaholics like the rest of us is doing yourself as much a disservice as you're doing them!

Thanks so much for your help BeenBurned. I've contacted eBay shortly after posting here, like you said, eBay said I am obligated to sell it to her. Which I did. She then started asking questions about authenticity (oy) despite my 100% feedback as a pretty much designer goods only seller; so I've directed her to the authentication thread as I don't want any complications.

If you can authenticate this bag before you ship, that might be a good idea..

please put a security tag on your bag and let your buyer know that if the

tag has been removed you can' take it back... if it is over $250 insure with

dc & sig confirmation.... and if you really don't feel comfortable and have a

"gut" feeling about this transaction because she is asking ?'s about authenticity

after the auction, think about what you want to do....sometimes less is more

at the end of the day...

If you haven't already shipped, take any additional photos you can to unequivocably identify your bag, including one with the security tag (which you can make with any plastic tag you have) and any identifying characteristics. She'll probably be fine, but we all totally identify with your concerns; you can never tell for sure, and bad buyers/sellers seem to be increasing in frequency all the time. Best wishes!:smile:

Thank you all so much for your help. I have directed her to the authentication thread as previously stated and the bag is of course authenticate and the experts in that thread have agreed. I think she feels better and honestly I do too, because if she's making the effort to ask for authenticity, that shows me that she's a serious buyer. I will indeed put a security tag on this and insure it for its full value.

Thanks so much again ladies :smile:

You can state that newbies contact you but there's no ebay mechanism to block them. Ebay doesn't want to discourage new members and since we were all new at one time, it's unfair to paint all newbies as potential PITAs.

According to ebay policy, you're obligated to sell to her and as long as her payment says "okay to ship," you must ship to that address on the PP details page.

By refusing to honor her purchase, you risk a NPS ding.

If it were my item, I'd sell it to her and follow proper procedure. If < $250, you don't need s.c. although if it makes you feel more comfortable, you can use it.

Based on her history and communication (as you've described), she sounds fine.

ETA: Note that during the holidays, you're more apt to get non-regular users who are purchasing gifts. To disallow their purchases just because they aren't spendaholics like the rest of us is doing yourself as much a disservice as you're doing them!

I think you have just summed up my feelings completely! I have been on ebay for a few years but have only purchased things here and there since I don't have the money to buy everything I find and love LOL. It drives me up the wall when sellers cancel my bids or won't sell to me because I don't have enough feedback to purchase their items!!

I think you have just summed up my feelings completely! I have been on ebay for a few years but have only purchased things here and there since I don't have the money to buy everything I find and love LOL. It drives me up the wall when sellers cancel my bids or won't sell to me because I don't have enough feedback to purchase their items!!

I second that! And sometimes the seller sounds so promising only to drop off on you. I really dunno how to convince these sellers that I'm genuine and not a scam! :-s

If the person already bought and then started questioning authenticity, that's a red flag to me. She should have authenticated first. I thought you could limit bidders with less than a certain amount of feedback Not so?

Ebay doesn't care if they force you to ship and then the buyer gets to keep the bag and the money. We've seen it too often.

Bein' the devil's advocate, I guess. I'd rather be safe than sorry.