Bill Cosby

I actually had (thought) I had posted from my phone, but obviously .. it didn't stick.

I hope no one thinks that I am not believing these ladies coming forward. I was just merely trying to say that I don't understand why anyone would put themselves into a situation a second or third time if there was ANY suspicion that wrongdoing had occurred.

I have often wondered about the situation with Lisa Bonet as it seemed very abrupt. However, let's not forget, that she then had her own series that (supposedly) was created for her by Bill Cosby. Just sayin' ..

It's not this industry per se IMO, but the industry is so prolific that it's big news when it's revealed. JMO.

'He's not Mr Clean': Third woman to accuse Bill Cosby of raping her as a teenager recounts 'how she woke up naked on his couch after he drugged her'

• Joan Tarshis, a former publicist, described 'the assaults' publicly for the first time on Sunday in an essay for Hollywood Elsewhere
  • She claims she was 19 when she was introduced to Cosby in 1969 and started writing for him
  • On two occasions, 'he gave her strong drinks that caused her to black out and when she awoke she was naked and he then attacked her'
  • She said did not think anyone would believe her because of his clean image, but other women's stories have given her the strength to speak out
  • Cosby settled a civil dispute with a woman in 2006 over an alleged incident and last month, Barbara Bowman told MailOnline he raped her in 1985
  • Comedian's lawyer has said he will not 'dignify' allegations with a response
The third woman to accuse Bill Cosby of raping her as a teenager has said that she is speaking out so that people know he's not 'Mr. Clean'.
Joan Tarshis, a former publicist, wrote an essay for Hollywood Elsewhere on Sunday accusing the entertainer of assaulting her on two occasions in 1969, when she was 19.
Tarshis said that after it happened, she felt she couldn't speak out because of how others idolized him but that she is now stepping forward in light of accusations made by other women.
'I thought nobody would believe me because of his image, you know, whiter than snow,' she told The Wrap.

In the piece for Hollywood Elsewhere, she explained that she had been in Los Angeles to write for comedian Godfrey Cambridge and she was introduced to Cosby by two women she was staying with.
He invited her to have lunch with him at Universal Studios and 'seemed to take a liking' to her, she said. He invited her back a few times and always poured her strong drinks, she wrote.
One day, he asked her to work on some material with him so she went to his bungalow, where he poured her a drink and she started talking about her ideas, she said.

'The next thing I remember was coming to on his couch while being undressed,' she wrote.
'Through the haze I thought I was being clever when I told him I had an infection and he would catch it and his wife would know he had sex with someone.
'But he just found another orifice to use. I was sickened by what was happening to me and shocked that this man I had idolized was now raping me. Of course I told no one.'
1416229753066_wps_5_Joanee_Tarshis.jpg

'Victim': Tarshis has claimed that Cosby gave her strong drinks that caused her to pass out and that she wake up naked. She said she felt that she could not speak out because of his 'whiter than snow' reputation

Her mother was proud of her daughter's new connection and so when Cosby called to invite Tarshis to a theater production, she felt as if she had to go to the show, she said.
She met him at his hotel, where she says his shaving kit was filled with bottles of pills, and then they went to the show together. In the car, he gave her a drink, she said.

After the show, she was having difficulties standing up and asked the chauffeur to take her back home, she said.
'The next thing I remember was waking up in his bed back at the Sherry, naked,' she wrote. 'I remember thinking "You old s***, I guess you got me this time, but it’s the last time you’ll ever see me".'
Afterwards, she said nothing for 20 years.
'During those years as I grew into adulthood, I watched Cosby be praised by everyone from Presidents to Oprah to the Jello Corporation,' she wrote. 'It all made me ill.'
Speaking to The Wrap after she wrote the piece, she said that she decided to speak out after other women came forward. MailOnline exclusively shared Barbara Bowman's story last month.
1416229824088_Image_galleryImage_Barbara_Bowman_one_of_Bil.JPG

Accusations: Last month, Barbara Bowman, who is pictured with an image of her teenage self, told MailOnline how she had been attacked by Cosby. Bowman's story gave Tarshis strength to speak out, she said

'All through the years, before I mentioned it, before anything else came out, I knew I wasn't the only person,' she said. 'That it wasn't just me... I knew that he was a serial rapist.'
She said she hopes her claims go some way to affecting the public's view of him.
She also said she waited until now because she didn't want her parents to find out. Both are now in their 90s and the news won't reach them, she said.

Squeaky clean image: Tarshis said that she hated seeing Cosby on TV, knowing what he had done

'They would have really, really been damaged by me telling them something, or finding out something like this,' she said.
Today, she continues to blame herself, she said.
'It still kind of feels that way, that I should have known better,' she said. 'I know intellectually that's incorrect, but that's still a feeling that I have.'
Tarshis, who lives in upstate New York, became a music publicist in the 1980s and represented Bob Marley and the Red Hot Chili Peppers, among others. She later worked as a journalist and is now getting a master's in mental health counseling, the Wrap reported.
The renewed attention on Cosby's past began last month when comedian Hannibal Buress assailed him during a stand-up performance in Philadelphia, Cosby's hometown, calling him a 'rapist'.
His remarks were captured on video and posted online, gaining wide exposure.
Adding to the growing firestorm: One of Cosby's accusers, Barbara Bowman, leveled allegations of sexual assault against him - first speaking to MailOnline last month and later in an online column for the Washington Post.
She explained that in 1985, she was 17 and an aspiring actress when Cosby 'brainwashed me into viewing him as a father figure, and then assaulted me multiple times'.
Cosby, who was never criminally charged in any case, settled a civil suit in 2006 with another woman over an alleged incident two years before.
On Sunday, Cosby's lawyer said he will not dignify 'decade-old, discredited' claims of sexual abuse with a response.

1416201309640_wps_34_Tony_Williams_and_Bill_Co.jpg

Support: Legendary saxophonist Tony Williams, pictured front with Cosby, has stood up for his long-time friend, saying that he believes that the alleged victims are going after the comedian's fame and fortune

John P. Schmitt said the fact that the allegations are being repeated 'does not make them true.'
'He would like to thank all his fans for the outpouring of support and assure them that, at age 77, he is doing his best work,' Schmitt said.
Also at the weekend, Cosby stonewalled National Public Radio host Scott Simon during an interview with Cosby and his wife, Camille, about their African-American art collection.

Bill Cosby silent on rape allegations during NPR interview

video-undefined-233C9D3000000578-568_638x364.jpg

Cosby fell silent when asked by Simon about 'serious allegations raised about you in recent days'.
'You're shaking your head, no,' the host said. 'Do you have any response to those charges? Shaking your head, no.'

Legendary saxophonist, Tony Williams, has also defended his friend, saying he is angry that the claims have resurfaced again and believes the women are just after Cosby's fame and money.
'No, No. He don't have to rape anybody,' Williams told Fox Philly 29 in an interview on Sunday.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2837731/He-s-not-Mr-Clean-woman-accuse-Bill-Cosby-raping-teenager-recounts-woke-naked-couch-drugged-her.html#ixzz3JKx2X1uv

I agree, although .. it's not cool to cheat either.

One thing that strikes a cord in her account. If there was any suspicion (re: the time she woke up in her panties and a men's top), WHY -OH- WHY .. would you go on a 3rd trip??? I don't know, maybe it's me, but if I had ANY suspicion of wrong-doing whatsoever, I would NEVER put myself in that situation again!!! See, that's why I have a hard time believing these types of stories. Who in their right mind, would put themselves into a situation where something similar (or worse) could happen?

My thoughts also. She probably knew the first time something was wrong but went a long with it because she wanted to be an actress.

I get what you're saying and you certainly have a valid point. I think in the case of Barbara she reports that he drugged and raped her several times before she stopped seeing him and spoke about it. I don't have enough details but I think based on the reports that are out there, people asking why there were more than one occasion is an attempt at processing the story in what to me appears a logical manner. For me, I'm not going to judge her because I can certainly see how she could doubt what happened HAD happened. Cosby for her would have been what he was to everyone with the added trust of being someone who believed in her and took her under his wing. But I too wonder how, after she became sure that he had drugged and raped her more than once, there was another time.

It calls to mind the Mike Tyson rape trial. While many people believe he raped Desiree, many people also wondered about the significance of her going to the bathroom and removing her pantyliner before the rape took place.

:yes:

Exactly. But I will tell you why women keep putting themselves in that situation - fame, money, ambition.

Now before anyone gets all riled
up men like Cosby are dead wrong doing what they do but there is a long line of women in entertainment and even in other industries who willingly allow these kinds of things to happen. Many a promotion has been given to women who subject themselves to that treatment BECAUSE IT CAN WORK. I have seen it first hand - it's called sleeping your way to the top and has been going on for decades. The women who don't complain are the ones who got what they wanted. And there are plenty. Granted not every successful woman made it that way but trust me there are too many who have. There are many starlets who have gotten HUGE breaks and fame because of the casting couch. I'm just waiting for Heidi Fleiss to start naming names someday because she knows where all the bodies are buried.
Once this had happened this woman should not have stuck around and kept going on trips. Sorry but that ruins her credibility for me.
Like it or not that industry continues to be a mans world and there are too many gals who don't care what they have to do to make it.
When I was in entertainment I made it only so far on my own merit but found myself stagnant at a point and have to wonder if turning down propositions hindered continued success. I can at least look at myself in the mirror and know I held on to my dignity.
Cosby is one of dozens of high powered men who do this all the time. It doesn't make it right but if women would stop acting dumb and clueless and making themselves available perhaps it would happen less frequently if not stop at all.

One other thing that bothers me about her story is about the SECOND time she was being pinned down on HIS bed in HIS hotel suite. What the hell was she doing in his hotel suite?
I had a boss ask me to meet him in his suite so he could hand me some documents. I told him I'd be downstairs and he could give them to me there.
I'm just tired of women who make us all look stupid and gullible. I'm sorry but, "he drugged me and raped me multiple times in different places" does not fly with me.

If you are a young girl and are reading this you are now being made aware to be on guard and don't act gullible.

:yes::tup:

The common denominator in many of these cases seems to involve alcohol. That should be the first red flag for you girls if you are in a "professional" environment and especially alone with a guy. You don't have to drink. And the guy should not get angry if you don't. If he does, run. And that goes for any situation be it professional or casual. I know anything can be spiked but alcohol can fool you into thinking its just the alcohol. If you start feeling funny after having a soda water or coke or whatnot, get the hell out of wherever you are and call 911.

According to the Daily Mail, Whoopie Goldberg is backing Bill Cosby and asking the question .. if there was suspicion, why wouldn't one go to the hospital and get a Rape Kit. It's a good question I must say ..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...l-assault-claims-didn-t-accuser-rape-kit.html
I suppose but this kind of response actually infuriates me. (Whoopi's not CeeJay's) There is so much shame and terror that goes along with this kind of crime. Often you aren't physically injured. Why? Because you just want to survive so you figure out a way get it over with with as little pain as possible. Often you don't want anyone to know. It could have been someone you fear or a family member and you don't want to embarrass the people you you. You don't want to be questioned and listen to insinuations that you caused it or are to blame (because often at first you believe you are!) Mostly if you have been violated you don't want to do anything other then bathe a million times.

I wish these women had screamed from the rooftops the minute it happened, but to basically say without a "receipt" nothing happened perpetuates the idea that the victims are to blame.

Last edited:
Most women don't report rape.

And Whoopi no longer exists for me since she spoke about the concept of "rape rape" to mean what she described as real rape. I wait for the day when she has to sit and explain that to a victim.

She needs to stop having access to a public platform where she can spill such filth

According to the Daily Mail, Whoopie Goldberg is backing Bill Cosby and asking the question .. if there was suspicion, why wouldn't one go to the hospital and get a Rape Kit. It's a good question I must say ..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...l-assault-claims-didn-t-accuser-rape-kit.html

Given the type of people Whoopi has recently been backing, her backing of Cosby means nothing more than her view is most definitely skewed.

She said Roman Polanski didn't commit rape
She's defended Mel Gibson
She said that Justin Bieber should be excused for his racist videos because the “n” word doesn’t exist in Canada.
Defending ESPN's Steven A Smith who said that "women shouldn't provoke men into domestic violence".(ie re: Ray Rice)
Defended Michael Vick.

I used to be a fan of Whoopi's btw - but she's completely lost me - well before this Cosby story.

I don't know.... 1969 was a different time. It's a live album so you can hear the audience roaring with laughter in the background....it sounds like it's not an uncommon joke for the time, other wise I don't think it would get the laughs that it does.

How seriously are we supposed to take this when it's not in context? There are all sorts of jokes about race, gender, class, mental illness, and cognitive handicaps that get joked about that aren't necessarily a reflection of of the actual person and would be questionable about today... it becomes a stage persona of the time. How seriously are we meant to take black comedians today who joke about domestic abuse and drugs and sex? Not saying it's appropriate, but they might just be playing a character on stage and not doing those things in their private lives.