Biggish Lump On Dogs Stomach/Chest area

Apr 23, 2006
Today i picked up my 5 year old pomeranian and felt this biggish lump. Apparantly it has been there for some time according to my dad. I dont know why he didnt tell me earlier. I'm furious.

Anyway my dogs been eating normally. Drinking e.t.c. Hes been acting the way he usually does, but now i have felt this lump im very scared. I called the Vet Emergency number and he told me it could be anything but as my dogs eating and everything at the moment he should be ok, but i need to make an appointment to get it checked out. I have to wait till the 3rd which im very angry about. I'm going to be worrying all the time now.

When i press on the lump my dog doesnt react but i feel it kind of move. Its like a bubble. Sorry im not very good at explaining and describing it.

I'm so worried :sad::cry:

Cindi

My baby, Bellis
O.G.
Aug 8, 2006
PA USA
Sounds like a fatty cyst which is no biggie. I would get it checked out but I wouldn't worry too much about it. My dog had a couple of them for many years. The vet just told me to keep an eye on them and bring her in if they changed/grew. They never caused any trouble at all. It felt just like the "bubble' you are describing.

dorcast

O.G.
Jan 1, 2006
You should get it checked out, but don't make yourself crazy worrying. I think I understand what you are describing, and it does sound like a cyst. My dog gets them, and the vet aspirates them, and usually can tell immediately that it's harmless.

weekender2

Mar 13, 2007
my dog has had lots of these.
thank goodness they always turned out to be fatty cysts.
but no way to know that without a vet visit
they will just extract some cells with a syringe and test
them under the microscope. my dog never minds this procedure.
wishing you the best,
let us know...

Apr 23, 2006
my dog has had lots of these.
thank goodness they always turned out to be fatty cysts.
but no way to know that without a vet visit
they will just extract some cells with a syringe and test
them under the microscope. my dog never minds this procedure.
wishing you the best,
let us know...
Thankyou, i cant wait till the Vet opens on Tuesday so i can make an appointment. Just want to find out. Luckily i wont have to wait a long time to be told the diagnosis.

So can the Vet do this procedure without putting my dog under anaesthetic? I cant imagine them not. I hope they will let me stay with him when they do this.

gsmom

Feb 4, 2010
As hard as it is, try not to fret too much, Serial. Stay calm and keep your doggie eating and relaxed.

boxermom

O.G.
Aug 26, 2006
North Carolina
If they want to remove the cyst, it would require stitching. Normally they wouldn't want you in the OR while doing a procedure. But don't get ahead of yourself. Get the appt. made and try not to worry too much before you know what it is.

Sending good thoughts to you and your furbaby.

weekender2

Mar 13, 2007
Thankyou, i cant wait till the Vet opens on Tuesday so i can make an appointment. Just want to find out. Luckily i wont have to wait a long time to be told the diagnosis.

So can the Vet do this procedure without putting my dog under anaesthetic? I cant imagine them not. I hope they will let me stay with him when they do this.
Yes, initially it's very simple. my dog is a big 65 lb baby (he yelps when the groomer goes to trim his nails) and he doesn't even flinch when he gets this done.
the doctor does it all in the room with us there and he is awake.
now we've never had an instance where the lump was anything suspect. I would imagine the next step would be a surgical removal as stated above.
my dog's seem to go away on their own after a bit, then new ones seem to pop up every now and then. I get them all tested.
chances are this is all it is, a fatty mass.
will be thinking of you

Apr 23, 2006
I'm worried sick if he has to have them removed because of putting him under and im sick of leaving them because if they get worse. I know we wont know until we see the Vet but i still cant help thinking of all the bad things.

Again thankyou everyone x

clevercat

catwoman
Sep 29, 2008
Where the heart is
I'm worried sick if he has to have them removed because of putting him under and im sick of leaving them because if they get worse. I know we wont know until we see the Vet but i still cant help thinking of all the bad things.

Again thankyou everyone x
Try to *breathe* - your pup will be in great hands at the vet and they will do whatever is in his best interests. I used to be so scared about putting my cats (I have been lucky enough to watch a few procedures at the clinic where I volunteer so now I am not as worried about that...) under so I know just how you must be feeling.
I'll be holding good thoughts for you both.

Apr 23, 2006
I know he will be in good hands. Hes a very good Vet but im so worried about leaving him if i have to. I dont want him thinking im going to leave him and not come back for him. He will be so scared. He's a very nervous dog.
Thankyou i will let everyone know what happens. Really hope we get good news.

gsmom

Feb 4, 2010
I know he will be in good hands. Hes a very good Vet but im so worried about leaving him if i have to. I dont want him thinking im going to leave him and not come back for him. He will be so scared. He's a very nervous dog.
Thankyou i will let everyone know what happens. Really hope we get good news.
make sure to share your concerns with the vet. maybe they can give him a little sedative to stay calm?