Biggest mm size you'd go in watch?

Phillyfan

O.G.
Nov 25, 2007
What is the biggest mm size watch you would wear? Currently my biggest is the 38mm (J12). I'm afraid to go any bigger for fear that it would look ridiculous and dated in 10 years. I will be purchasing my final (LOL!) watch for my collection this summer. And I will be obsessing about it until then. To remind everyone, these are some I already own:

ladies 2-tone Rolex jubilee, fluted w/diamond markers - 26 mm
mid-size ss Rolex jubilee, fluted Rhodium Roman - 31 mm
33 mm black J12 w/diamond markers
38 mm white plain J12
a Baume & Mercier, a pink-face Roadster, a Concord and a Raymond Weil
and a Michele - think it is a 34 mm

Really don't care for the Rolex YM on me but I do admire on others.
Don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

Personally I've tried a number of Rolexes on and I wouldn't go any larger than a midsize so I think 31mm is the cut-off for me. I just prefer them a bit smaller.

You never can tell though until the actual watch in on your wrist.

I was thinking the same thing. I think that would be the most practical for the long-term. Since I have 2 that are jubilee and fluted. Maybe I should think about mid-size oyster and domed. Which color face looks best on this style? I don't want diamonds but I wonder if they do MOP on oyster mid-sizes.

I think the biggest mm size that a person would go with depend on the size of the person's wrist. Some ppl have bigger wrist so they would look good with bigger mm watches. For me, my wrist is like 5 inches ...so the biggest I would go with is 31 mm. the 34 mm & above looks funny on me..it looks like the watch doesn't sit on the wrist properly.

40 mm is the largest I go. I wear the watch sized to
~ a 7" wrist, so that is moves but does not turn over on my wrist - I hate tight watches.

I have a 6.5 inch wrist, am a fairly big girl lol (5' 6", 158 lbs)

Did I actually put that in writing ???:wtf:

I have small wrists (6 inches) and have a 38mm J12 and 40mm Jacob & Co. I tried on a 42 mm but felt it looked too big and didn't sit right on my wrist.
Here's my 38mm...
354767984.jpg

and my 40mm...
359814877.jpg

Originally I planned on the Air King but it is the lowest-end and resale is the hardest if I choose to sell someday. So I've been told my best bet is a mid-size datejust. I'm leaning towards the "sporty" oyster and domed bezel - just don't know what color face.

I love, love, love big watches and wouldn't go smaller than a 31m.

I've got these Chanels, and the black one feels very small to me and it is a 33 mm. The white is 41mm.

DSC01136.jpg

I bought a 36 mm datejust and love the size. I think it is a perfect size.

DSC00819.jpg

Last edited:
Really love your chanels sbelle :girlsigh:

I adore big watches, I think the biggest I can go is a 40mm.

Personally Hoka, I think you should take your time before getting another watch, you have a fab collection of 9 watches already and sometimes its the hunt rather than the item that ticks the boxes.

I totally agree Sammyjoe! It is just that I'd rather buy 1 fabulous thing than lots of seasonal trendy clothes and accessories. The "big" item is timeless and keeps much of its value. The tons of small stuff gets out of season, sometimes lost and doesn't hold up. Also, I feel that this period in my life I'm able to purchase a watch. But when we get the 4th car (18 months until middle child drives), I won't have the funds for an extravagant purchase. So I'm trying to get it out of my system now. I did the same thing when I was in my early 20's and still lived at home. I bought some fabulous pieces that I could never have done 5 years later. Once I got married, had a house and 3 kids - I only bought toys and kiddie clothing, swingsets, etc for 15 years. Now it is my turn before college, more cars and insurance and son's dating expenses!

^^ Lol:lol: Son's dating expenses!!! I understand you, I just think - ok watches are great, what about a classic piece of jewellery instead? I am sure whatever you get will be classic and the best of the best, just maybe think about another area of luxury to indulge yourself in also. :tup:

^^Sammy I do agree with you that branching out to some classic jewelry is a good option.

But Hoka whatever you do, DO NOT venture into the Van Clef & Arpels support group thread!! I made that mistake and now I am addicted.:lol: Be careful!

Too late! I did explore VC&A. My husband was going to get me an alhambra necklace - white clover - for Valentine's Day. We planned on the one from the sweet collection but it was way too small. I just felt the bigger one for $1,800 was a lot. That is 1/2 of an Air King - LOL! I still daydream about the red heart though - cool name that begins with a "c". For some weird reason, I'm more into watches. And I'm done with bags - no venturing into Hermes or Chanel! I have one WOC and that is all I want.