Bigger diamond or smaller diamond better quality?

meeeks

life is great
Nov 11, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Hello ladies,

I need your opinions.. My fiancee is letting me choose my ring but I'm a bit torn..

1. 1.21 carat, f color, i1 clarity
2. 0.76 carat, e co our, vs2 clarity

Which would you choose, I love them both but I'm leaning towards the smaller, better quality diamond. I have small fingers (size 4) anyway so any diamond would look big.. Any thoughts?

Thank you :smile:

May 6, 2007
Hello ladies,

I need your opinions.. My fiancee is letting me choose my ring but I'm a bit torn..

Which would you choose, I love them both but I'm leaning towards the smaller, better quality diamond. I have small fingers (size 4) anyway so any diamond would look big.. Any thoughts?

i would find an ideal cut G color Vs2 for optimum size and quality

shiba

O.G.
Feb 3, 2007
Who graded the stones?

Typical I1 stones have very eye visible inclusions, on rare occasion there may be a prongable feather or crystals that cause the grade. The majority of retailers do not carry good I stones and should be avoided.

Cut is very important, that is what gives the sparkle.

I would keep looking.

Aug 4, 2006
Hello ladies,

i agree with you. i bet i can't even tell the difference with clarity, but knowing it's an i will bother me. how is the cut?

lolakitten

O.G.
Mar 11, 2007
Ontario
Smaller/better quality - especially on smaller fingers.
I have small fingers too & a .76 looks pretty big on me (in a RB)
But ideally, I'd keep looking too...

May 6, 2007
the most significant component of a diamonds overall quality is CUT. since you all are novices (no offense intended) I would make sure to get a GIA or AGS certified diamond with IDEAL CUT grade. Should for FGH color and vs2 or si1 clarity. Tiffany and co goes as low as I color and si1 because it is all about cut. you can have a poorly cut E VVS stone that is uglier than a lump of plastic

scarlet555

O.G.
Apr 9, 2009
In other words cut would even change the size of the diamond, so beware. .76 and 1.21 is actually a big difference small or big fingers. I have tried both size in ideal cuts and my heart could not settle for .76 in size 4 too. Cut also determines the sparklyness and then u can do hca calculator too. Have u seen these irl?

Have u considered a g color stone with vs2 1carat? That might be a better price n option. Give up color but not size or clarity. Just a thought. In the end go with your gut feeling.

sjunky13

Dreaming............
O.G.
Dec 17, 2006
Marcel's
the most significant component of a diamonds overall quality is CUT. since you all are novices (no offense intended) I would make sure to get a GIA or AGS certified diamond with IDEAL CUT grade. Should for FGH color and vs2 or si1 clarity. Tiffany and co goes as low as I color and si1 because it is all about cut. you can have a poorly cut E VVS stone that is uglier than a lump of plastic
Totally agree with this. My stone is a J. It is a high J , close to an I. GIA triple Ex cut VS2. We went with the best cut we could afford. It sparkles like crazy! No one belives it is a J . I also am not a color snob, but a cut snob!
You need to post other stats so we can see how it performs.