big wallets and small bags?

gabz

O.G.
Jun 20, 2007
I don't know if anyone else has noticed this...

This seems to be the season of smaller bags like pochettes or mini macs BUT stores are still mainly selling continental style wallets. Doesn't make sense to me. I have been using a zcp bc I hate to change my wallet every time I change bags.

Anyone else "over" big wallets this season? Shouldn't desginers have more optoons for all the on-trend smaller bags?

Reactions: Namwan-
Good question. It seems that many prefer either one wallet that must fit every bag or coordinate their wallets with their bags in colour, brand and style, using similar size wallets with similar bags for whatever they're doing. However, I like different size bags for doing different things so I would rather have a few neutral coloured wallets in different sizes.

I have roughly 4 sizes of wallet. Ag ATM I use flat huge Hermes which doubles up as a clutch, a large Gucci which could also be an evening clutch (phone included) a compact Gucci which would only hold cards/notes and a few coins and and a mini Gucci that really would only hold cards and notes (the compact and the mini are exactly the same on the outside except for the sizes).

Gucci have several styles of compact wallets and even zip-up card holders. Card holders are fine if you don't need to carry cash but normally, the smaller you go with a wallet the more need to carry a separate change purse which may defeat the purpose of 'downsizing'.

Hermes also have compact/combined styles of their popular style wallets.

I don't know about all other brands but my guess is that there are smaller wallets available and around but they won't be 'front page' or front of store but kept in draws.

Some pouches, small and mini bags have in-built card slots and an attached purse like my Delvaux Hannelore going away for separate wallets and some larger wallets convert into bags with an added strap. I do think designers do think of these things but as you say it can mean additional time spent transferring thing from one thing to another.

I don't think of wallets as following bag size trends. I think it's good to have a small wallet for small bags or larger bags, and then if you like a big wallet have one that goes in larger bags. For this reason I always have an LV PTI (large) and some variation on a small LV wallet. That way, no matter the trend, I'm set.

Well, I love big wallets but when I'm using a small bag I generally just go for a coin purse so it doesn't take too much space and I put my cards in the zipped pocket of the bag if there's one. If the wallet is going to be the same size as the bag I don't see the point :P

Well, I love big wallets but when I'm using a small bag I generally just go for a coin purse so it doesn't take too much space and I put my cards in the zipped pocket of the bag if there's one. If the wallet is going to be the same size as the bag I don't see the point :P

i do the same too!! =/ but it gets annoying to keep switching wallets and purses and ill forget where i put my credit card and ID..

Yes, I agree. Once I regulated my purse collection, I looked for suitable wallets

I now have 6 wallets- a Brahmin (my large- can fit checkbook), 3 channels (french, zip/snap closure, yen holder), 1 Prada (zip/snap closure), 1 bottega small card case

AND 2 chanel small coin/key purses

AND 2 lambskin clutches

Ooh- I never counted them before

They are different sizes (except for coin purses) and have different purposes.

I have different size/style bags- but sometimes I want to just walk with my wallet instead.

I love big, full size wallets. Whenever I have to downsize for my smaller bags, there is always something I'll end up needing, like a coupon, that I won't have with me. One time I switched to a small bag to go to dinner and just carried my card case that has my ID and VISA in it. We decided to stop for milk on the way home and I had to use a credit card to pay for it because I had neglected to bring any cash.