Big Ben 'UK's favourite landmark'

Apr 26, 2006
Big Ben has been named Britain's favourite landmark, in a poll of more than 2,000 adults.
The central London attraction beat Wiltshire stone circle Stonehenge into second place.
The survey by construction firm Faithful and Gould marked the 202nd anniversary of the birth of engineer Isambard Kingdom Brunel.
No Brunel structures made the top 10 but his Clifton Suspension Bridge was popular with west England interviewees.
Six of the top 10 landmarks were in London, including the Houses of Parliament, Buckingham Palace and the London Eye.
Blackpool Tower and Edinburgh Castle also appeared in the top 10.

Attachments

• _44550941_big-ben2_170pa.jpg
    _44550941_big-ben2_170pa.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 23
When I studied in London, I took a British Life & Culture course. Part of the curriculum involved field trips to British landmarks. One of them being Big Ben. They gave us special permission to climb the tower and be inside the clock when it struck the hour.

Wow, how nice!! I only saw it from across the street when I did one of those walking tours in London, and the guide said, "You may not have heard the news but one of the hands fell off this morning. Look!!"

Turned out, it was just 12 o'clock. hahahaha.... haha.

Haha! It's the big clock looking thing.

You know, that looks like a clock!

(Fun fact: Legend has it that if the clock ever strikes 13 times, the stone lions in Trafalgar Square will come to life.)

When I studied in London, I took a British Life & Culture course. Part of the curriculum involved field trips to British landmarks. One of them being Big Ben. They gave us special permission to climb the tower and be inside the clock when it struck the hour.

Wow that's a great honour Caitlin, it's only usually open to UK residents who request a tour through their MP.

I've never been there, but I've heard a lot about the landmarks and items of interest. LOL...Big Ben would be down at the bottom of places
I'd like to visit...I can think of many more that would come in first.