Bidding on a wanted bag

lpaigenyc

Dec 22, 2009
I was looking through eBay for another bag, not a high end bag, but a designer I like and even though I've sworn off buying shoes and bags I figure if I found something that could be authenticated prior to bidding....
Anyway, I found a bag I liked and at a very low starting price so I went to have it authenticated I saw it already was, by another member. What would you do in this type of situation? To bid or not to bid, that is the question. Your advice would be very much appreciated, I have no wish to cause another member angst if I bid on something they apparantly want but what do people do in this situation? Is it 'to each their own' or do members not bid on bags (or other items) other members want?

Bid away. If it is a popular bag it is going to get others bidding on it anyway. I think this is a reason many don't post in authenticating forums until after they have won . LOL :P Also, just because they have posted doesn't mean that they are necessarily going to bid. I have seen many authenticated bags go unsold, btw.

poopsie2 said:
Bid away. If it is a popular bag it is going to get others bidding on it anyway. I think this is a reason many don't post in authenticating forums until after they have won . LOL :P Also, just because they have posted doesn't mean that they are necessarily going to bid. I have seen many authenticated bags go unsold, btw.

Thanks Poopsie2! I was wondering about that when I found the bag already authenticated, do some buy first then ask questions later?

When I bought my last bag, I asked first but went ahead and bought it anyway as I was afraid it would get away (before it was authenticated), oh the stress that caused me (and I will never do THAT again!!). :smile:

Thanks Poopsie2! I was wondering about that when I found the bag already authenticated, do some buy first then ask questions later?

When I bought my last bag, I asked first but went ahead and bought it anyway as I was afraid it would get away (before it was authenticated), oh the stress that caused me (and I will never do THAT again!!). :smile:

I can imagine.

Poopsie is onto something as to why some people don't ******************. It's like screaming from the rooftops, "hey, look at the fab bag I just found and it's selling for a song!" It feels counter intuitive to me. It would seem like a surefire way to drive bidding up/lose a bin. But I don't have the stomach to buy first, ask questions later. I once found a much wanted Prada wallet and was certain it was authentic. But I just could not pull the trigger. With an hour left before the auction ended, I posted on the authentication thread. The auction ended before I got a reply but I was really glad I had the good sense to ******************; the wallet was a fake. I'm sure some people get lucky taking such a risk. I'm just not one of them. :lol:

Mixedbag said:
I can imagine.

Poopsie is onto something as to why some people don't ******************. It's like screaming from the rooftops, "hey, look at the fab bag I just found and it's selling for a song!" It feels counter intuitive to me. It would seem like a surefire way to drive bidding up/lose a bin. But I don't have the stomach to buy first, ask questions later. I once found a much wanted Prada wallet and was certain it was authentic. But I just could not pull the trigger. With an hour left before the auction ended, I posted on the authentication thread. The auction ended before I got a reply but I was really glad I had the good sense to ******************; the wallet was a fake. I'm sure some people get lucky taking such a risk. I'm just not one of them. :lol:

lol! I know, some people get lucky and get amazing bags, I however, am always thinking my luck has just run out :smile:. that's why I don't gamble!
I have been lucky though in three handbags I've purchased off of fleabay (two of which were years ago), but considering the last one nearly gave me a heart attack I think I'll make sure I get it authenticated first from now on!

If it's a bag that is in super demand listed at a to-die-for price and I'm reasonably sure it's authentic bag I'd probably pay for a outside service so I wouldn't be 'screaming it from the rooftops'!!!!!! Although if it's that high in demand it'll probably be discovered without me (that's my luck!!).

Also, keep in mind that very few bags are OOAK and if you authenticate and miss out of the bag, there will be another listing for the same thing.

lol! I know, some people get lucky and get amazing bags, I however, am always thinking my luck has just run out :smile:. that's why I don't gamble!
I have been lucky though in three handbags I've purchased off of fleabay (two of which were years ago), but considering the last one nearly gave me a heart attack I think I'll make sure I get it authenticated first from now on!

If it's a bag that is in super demand listed at a to-die-for price and I'm reasonably sure it's authentic bag I'd probably pay for a outside service so I wouldn't be 'screaming it from the rooftops'!!!!!! Although if it's that high in demand it'll probably be discovered without me (that's my luck!!).

Use a snipping service and move on.

If you want the bag, bid on it... if you get outbid, another one will come
along....and as long as this bag is authentic, you have nothing to lose..
go for it... you could be very pleasantly surprised & WIN!!

limom said:
Use a snipping service and move on.

like esnipe? I have an account, just never used it. might be a good idea though considering when I'm in the midst of competitive bidding I always find myself bidding more than I wanted, i get this adrenaline rush and I go crazy bidding until I win, or at least bid up so far that I have to stop...ugh...must.stop!

like esnipe? I have an account, just never used it. might be a good idea though considering when I'm in the midst of competitive bidding I always find myself bidding more than I wanted, i get this adrenaline rush and I go crazy bidding until I win, or at least bid up so far that I have to stop...ugh...must.stop!

I put a number in and move on. Otherwise, I get competitive and overpay:lol:

If you want it why not bid? Isn't that what ebay's about? Just because someone else had it authenticated doesn't necessarily mean they are going to buy it. I've had bags authenticated on TPF and by the time it was authenticated I changed my mind or chose not to spend the money. I'd put in a bid and know what your price limit for the item is and stick too it(that way you don't regret the purchase if you get in a bidding war and end up paying way more than you really want to). A lot of the time people will list items with a low starting price because it creates interest in the item most likely it will go for a lot more than the listing price. I wouldn't hesitate to place a bid just because another TPFer might want it, you may not even end up winning the item!

To bid or not to bid, that is the question. Your advice would be very much appreciated, I have no wish to cause another member angst if I bid on something they apparantly want but what do people do in this situation? Is it 'to each their own' or do members not bid on bags (or other items) other members want?

Think of it this way: Any given item is seen by an untold number of potential bidders, in the thousands or hundreds of thousands, or even millions. Also, any number of people watch the discussions on the authentication boards here and see the judgments made. What this adds up to is, you are in a huge and anonymous bidding situation. Like other shopping opportunities, anyone might buy what you are after, and you might buy what they are after.

Bid, enjoy. If you need distance from the auction because of the frenzy feeling, definitely use sniping.

I know what you mean - it almost becomes personal. I have paid more for items than I should have just because of this.

So I either bid my max manually in the last few seconds (so I don't have time to place another bid :P) or I use a sniping service. For small stuff, I just go with BINs. I mean, who has time to sit around to see if you're going to win the pack of dog chew sticks.

northerndancer said:
I know what you mean - it almost becomes personal. I have paid more for items than I should have just because of this.

So I either bid my max manually in the last few seconds (so I don't have time to place another bid :P) or I use a sniping service. For small stuff, I just go with BINs. I mean, who has time to sit around to see if you're going to win the pack of dog chew sticks.

OMG that is so true!! it DOES become personal and I feel this need to win...yikes, that's pretty sad isn't it?! lol!

I think next time I find something I like I'll try esnipe, a safer, and most likely less expensive way to go ;)

By all means, bid as long as it is authentic! Lots of ladies at the CL subforum all have their bidding wars but you shouldn't take it to heart if you win or lose. You either really want it or you don't. Don't worry whether someone will be spiteful towards you for placing the highest bid.