Bidding and Retracting...Suspicious??

midg613

O.G.
Aug 15, 2007
I have a bag on Ebay that I am selling. I've noticed that a few bids by the same person have been placed and then retracted (for the same reason BID WRONG AMOUNT). I don't know what this person is up to but it seems suspicious to me. I haven't contacted them about what they are doing, but I'm getting a bad feeling about this.

Should I block them further bidding..or just try not to worry about it. Also has anyone else come across this type of bidding and if so, what did you do.

Thanks, I need some advice.

Does your listing have a reserve? If so, is each subsequent bid higher than the one before it?

The bidder might have been trying to find the reserve, but that doesn't explain the retractions.

Go with your gut.

If it is someone legit obviously they have never heard of a snipe service, LOL? You can make a bid there, then if you change your mind you can cancel the bid anytime up until 6 minutes before auction ends. On ebay if you place a bid, you better be sure. Retracting bids on ebay (and they do keep track) is not a good idea. I have done it a couple of times, but it's much better to put on your watch list and/or place a bid with sniping service.
That sounds a bit suspicious to me. I would block them just to be safe. Then if they are legit, they can contact you as to why they are blocked.

Thanks all!...They seem to have a good feedback, but I know that doesnt mean a lot. I just have a bad feeling about it. My big worry is if they win, what might occurr if they turn out to be a big PITA.

Thanks again for the advice. TPF is the best :ty::tpfrox:

Does your listing have a reserve? If so, is each subsequent bid higher than the one before it?

The bidder might have been trying to find the reserve, but that doesn't explain the retractions.

Go with your gut.

No Reserve...I usually just let people bid, more fun that way..besides I use ebay when I want to downsize and get some money back from the handbags that I've purchased.

No Reserve...I usually just let people bid, more fun that way..besides I use ebay when I want to downsize and get some money back from the handbags that I've purchased.
Then I have no idea why they'd bid, retract, bid again, retract again.

It does sound like an indecisive person who might end up as a PITA.

I have a bag on Ebay that I am selling. I've noticed that a few bids by the same person have been placed and then retracted (for the same reason BID WRONG AMOUNT). I don't know what this person is up to but it seems suspicious to me. I haven't contacted them about what they are doing, but I'm getting a bad feeling about this.

Should I block them further bidding..or just try not to worry about it. Also has anyone else come across this type of bidding and if so, what did you do.

Thanks, I need some advice.

I'd block them from further bidding, I don't see the logic in what they're doing so to me they're coming off as indecisive or just playing around not intent on buying. Better to save a headache down the road to block them now, imho.

I'd block them from further bidding, I don't see the logic in what they're doing so to me they're coming off as indecisive or just playing around not intent on buying. Better to save a headache down the road to block them now, imho.

I have them blocked. I noticed that they placed the bid on the 10th and then retracted on the 11th. They then bid again on the 15th and within an hour or so they retracted which caught my attention. This is why it raised a red flag with me.