Bidder with ZERO feedback?

Seismic

Jan 11, 2010
I have a pair of jeans up on eBay. Right now, the highest bidder has zero feedback. I went to Toolhaus, and got the same thing: no feedback ever received, given, or withdrawn.

What do I do? Should I be concerned?

nancyxwu

handbag addict
Jan 10, 2010
USA
I wouldn't be concerned right away. We all had to start as 0 feedback bidders/sellers. Personally, I ask new buyers to email me before bidding on my high end items, but for regular items...less than 100, I don't worry. If this person does end up winning, just write a friendly note in the invoice letting them know ebay allows 4 days to pass before a case can be opened, welcome to ebay, please confirm you address in paypal, and you'll ship after payment is cleared...

jojon21

Waiting on UPS
O.G.
Dec 28, 2006
The U.P.
^Good advice! Not to hijack the thread, but in my case I have an offer on a handbag from a 0 feedback bidder, same thing as the OP. Do I accept and hope for the best?

hposnm

Sep 10, 2008
W.A., Australia
I've accepted plenty of 0 feedback people and only 1 has bummed out on me. She lived in South America and I warned her that shipping would take longer than usual. She got upset that she didn't get her package within 2 weeks.

Reminded her to check tracking information and she realised the hold-up was at her customs.

lorihmatthews

A taste for the arts
O.G.
Oct 7, 2006
San Francisco
Everyone had zero feedback at one time.

I usually send those bidders an email. Something like "Hi, I see you've bid on my auction and you're new to eBay. I just wanted to see if you had any questions." If you've got a legit buyer, they will usually email back and thank you for contacting them.

Chances are that they will be outbid at the last minute anyway ...

pjrufus

O.G.
May 13, 2009
I usually send those bidders an email. Something like "Hi, I see you've bid on my auction and you're new to eBay. I just wanted to see if you had any questions." If you've got a legit buyer, they will usually email back and thank you for contacting them.
That's a very good idea, and nicely worded, Lori, thank you. I think I'll use that.

jojon21

Waiting on UPS
O.G.
Dec 28, 2006
The U.P.
^Good advice! Not to hijack the thread, but in my case I have an offer on a handbag from a 0 feedback bidder, same thing as the OP. Do I accept and hope for the best?
Update - I accepted my 0 feedback bidders Best Offer, and she paid immediately! Yes, we all did start out at zero once!

lucydee

O.G.
Jun 12, 2009
New York
I just got screwed by a zero feedback buyer. I listed an authentic gently used coach bag for sale last week. There were a total of 14 bids and the person who won it had zero feedback. I did not ever think the person was not going to pay, as I wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt and figured well everyone has to start somewhere. So the auction ended last Sunday. In my listing it states very clearly that payment must be made within 3 days. I e-mailed the winner and congratulated her on her winning bid and sent her the invoice. She never responded or paid. On the 4th day I sent her an e-mail once again giving her time to answer and still nothing. Finally I opened a case in resolution center and stated 5 days have passed and I did not get payment from the winner. So as it stands now I guess ebay contacted her to make payment and if she does not respond in another 4 days I can either close the case and relist the item and ebay will credit the fee's. But I am still upset about this. I just hope this person gets a strike non-pay put on her account bec its not fair to the other ladies who also bid and they lost to a zero feedback bidder that actually just played games and really had no intention on paying. I am going to wait about 2 more days then I will relist the item.
But I have to tell you, this left a sour taste in my mouth. From now on I think I am going to not accept zero bidders and cancel them. It takes too much time and energy to list and ebays fees are high for me to go thru this again.
I hope the person who is bidding on your item does pay you because its not a nice thing to have this happen to you.

Good Luck!

coutureinatl

Jan 31, 2010
I have had a few 0 feedback buyers that I have to open a case for but then again I have buyers whose feedback is in the hundreds and even thousands who I have to open a case for. The 0 means nothing to me in terms of worries. Worst case they don't pay and you get your fees back to relist it. Time is the only thing wasted really

sara_g

O.G.
May 12, 2008
LA
I think it also depends on what country the buyer is from and how expensive the item is. Personally I agree with the $100 limit and would only go over with countries I feel more comfortable with, like Canada or England for 0 feedback. For any item over $100 I check out my buyer before sending the item to make sure everything seems fine. This doesn't work with 0 feedback buyers of course, but for expensive items I call ebay and ask if there have been any recent changes in address or disputes and that reassures me at least.

lunette

Sep 16, 2007
I send them a message stating that I don't as a rule accept less than a +3 feedback bid, but am willing to consider them on a case by case basis. I check if they have a valid PayPal account, and find out if they have questions. If I don't hear back from them I reject their bid. So far that method has worked pretty well for me, haven't had any negative interchanges or fall out.

Jan 6, 2010
New York
I bid on a purse when I had 0 fb (ebay id had been made years ago and never used because I never had a debit card/cc to connect to paypal) and I'm sure that my seller was probably a little bit unsure but I made sure to pay right away and everything so she knew I was serious and she seemed fine with it. I'd say if you're unsure just contact the buyer and make sure they know all the rules about paying, or if they have any questions to let you know.

hope777

Mar 2, 2010
The Playground
Ok, I'm interested in any thoughts on my 0 feedback buyer......

She did a BIN on a handbag - less than 30 minutes of me posting the ad. I worked with her for over 2 hrs on how to set up her paypal acct (she wanted to use a credit card, and didn't know how to add into PP). Once she paid I immediately shipped the bag - she was so excited, I wanted to get it to her ASAP. 3 days later she contacted me saying the bag was "severely destroyed" and ripped me up one side and down the next, and said "karma was going to get me"..... she was a trip! Anyway, I asked her to send it back and I would refund her (even though my auction states no refunds). She did, I inspected the bad upon receipt, found nothing wrong with it, but still issued a refund. Four days later she asked where her refund was, I stated it was issued the day I received the shipment. She then left negative feedback. Great.

So........ this person that bought from me has had 0 feedback in the 2 years that she has had an acct, and 1 month after this transaction, there is still only 1 feedback (mine).

Sorry for hijacking.... but does anyone have thoughts on this??

Last edited:

lucydee

O.G.
Jun 12, 2009
New York
Wow, That's terrible. You did the right thing and refunded her money even though she was full of it and then she has the nerve to leave neg feedback. Go figure...
I just don't understand some people, you do the right thing and they reciprocate by leaving neg feedback.
Sorry to hear you had this bad transaction. Hopefully this person will have no luck for the way she treats people.