Bidder is asking me to ship outside the USA

I'm an Air Force officer in South Korea. I've been active duty for almost 16 years. I was a Navy brat for most of my life as well. Or so it seems. Lol.

I've been deployed, I've lived in Saudi, I've been stationed in Europe. They finally got me for Asia.
OT but thank you for your service. :heart:

Reactions: kkfiregirl
I'm an Air Force officer in South Korea. I've been active duty for almost 16 years. I was a Navy brat for most of my life as well. Or so it seems. Lol.

I've been deployed, I've lived in Saudi, I've been stationed in Europe. They finally got me for Asia.

Unless the package is huge, mail to the APO AP (Pacific) and AE (Europe) goes from either Chicago, San Francisco, or New York (APs are California ZIPs, AEs are New York ZIPs) goes from the collection point to us via AIR, usually military airlift or government contract flight, not by ship. I can get mail from the East Coast, where my husband is at the moment as my assignment is unaccompanied, here in Korea in 10 days. I've had items from Amazon show up in four. No kidding. (When it says the item shipped from the West Coast, I know it'll be here crazy quick!!)

I ordered a small set of shelves via Amazon Prime that arrived in five days and were sent via Air through Incheon Intl in Seoul. Big ICN sticker on the side of the box. God bless Prime. That's certainly the exception!

My dad did two tours in Hawaii; I was born there and then we later returned there. Even in the late seventies and early eighties, mail got there pretty quick. (Commissary restock, which pretty much always cane by boat back then, was another story. Lol) Not like it does now, but impressive for the era.

Our delivery, if delayed, is usually held up due to airlift missions, contingency operations, congestion (like this time of year), or weather. As the saying goes on the wall of our post office - no mail, no morale. [emoji6] And yes, when it is delayed, which is rare for us - some get unreasonable. I've heard them in the post office. Mail here is practically religion, but it's no excuse for being out of one's pram.

Yes, some stuff goes by water. But it's extremely rare.

With that said, I'm picky about what I order and what I have mailed to me. Our APO system is far better than it was in the past, but I definitely understand not sending high dollar bags via it. I wouldn't either. That's why I've sucked up the price difference on a couple of things here and just bought it on the economy.

An APO outside of United States or her territories is a US address, but not on sovereign US territory. That's why you have to fill out Customs forms to ship, say, to me or to Germany. (That's also why US Air Force bases are called Air Base and not Air Force Base: they aren't ours.)

Most of us are extremely appreciative when folks assist us with shipping to an APO. But as I said - I don't blame you for refusing. I've passed on stuff because sometimes it makes me nervous, so I completely understand it from the seller's viewpoint.

Hope I didn't intrude. [emoji177][emoji177][emoji177][emoji173]️[emoji173]️[emoji173]️
Maybe you can help with a question I have about APO. Does the package go through local customs and have to pass the local laws? When I lived in Saudi a long time ago, we couldn't get any powdered item, like granulated gelatin, because to the Saudis it looked like drugs. We couldn't get anything with alcohol, including rubbing alcohol, cough syrup, or vanilla extract. Magazines went through censors who blacked out all pictures of women. I never got shoes sent to me over there but I would imagine they would have a problem with shoes that have pigskin lining. Can these kinds of things be delivered to an APO in Saudi Arabia?

Unless the package is huge, mail to the APO AP (Pacific) and AE (Europe) goes from either Chicago, San Francisco, or New York (APs are California ZIPs, AEs are New York ZIPs) goes from the collection point to us via AIR, usually military airlift or government contract flight, not by ship. I can get mail from the East Coast, where my husband is at the moment as my assignment is unaccompanied, here in Korea in 10 days. I've had items from Amazon show up in four. No kidding. (When it says the item shipped from the West Coast, I know it'll be here crazy quick!!)

I ordered a small set of shelves via Amazon Prime that arrived in five days and were sent via Air through Incheon Intl in Seoul. Big ICN sticker on the side of the box. God bless Prime. That's certainly the exception!

My dad did two tours in Hawaii; I was born there and then we later returned there. Even in the late seventies and early eighties, mail got there pretty quick. (Commissary restock, which pretty much always cane by boat back then, was another story. Lol) Not like it does now, but impressive for the era.

Our delivery, if delayed, is usually held up due to airlift missions, contingency operations, congestion (like this time of year), or weather. As the saying goes on the wall of our post office - no mail, no morale. [emoji6] And yes, when it is delayed, which is rare for us - some get unreasonable. I've heard them in the post office. Mail here is practically religion, but it's no excuse for being out of one's pram.

Yes, some stuff goes by water. But it's extremely rare.

With that said, I'm picky about what I order and what I have mailed to me. Our APO system is far better than it was in the past, but I definitely understand not sending high dollar bags via it. I wouldn't either. That's why I've sucked up the price difference on a couple of things here and just bought it on the economy.

An APO outside of United States or her territories is a US address, but not on sovereign US territory. That's why you have to fill out Customs forms to ship, say, to me or to Germany. (That's also why US Air Force bases are called Air Base and not Air Force Base: they aren't ours.)

Most of us are extremely appreciative when folks assist us with shipping to an APO. But as I said - I don't blame you for refusing. I've passed on stuff because sometimes it makes me nervous, so I completely understand it from the seller's viewpoint.

Hope I didn't intrude. [emoji177][emoji177][emoji177][emoji173]️[emoji173]️[emoji173]️
Intrude? Your post was perfect and informative!
Thank you for your service :hugs:

I feel sorry for your potential buyer. Guam is part of the US. I would have no problem shipping to Guam since I use USPS. I've never shipped there but I've shipped to APOs and Puerto Rico. It's exactly the same as anywhere else in the US, and a lot easier than APO for which you have to do extra paper work. With APO, you have no idea where the package is actually going so it can take a long time.

I also can't understand why people won't ship to Alaska or Hawaii. If you use calculated shipping, it should calculate whatever it actually costs. I use a flat rate shipping charge. For me, being in California, it is cheaper to ship to Hawaii than New York.

Let me stress - Guam is not outside of the US!!
Actually, I DO ship to Alaska & Hawaii. I just require them to contact me about the actual shipping costs. That's all, just to make sure they agree to the higher shipping costs. I try to keep my buyers informed. That's all.

Reactions: kkfiregirl
When someone is serving our country, the least I can do is allow them to purchase my item. Thank you for your service.
I agree. I also mail to AFO/APO addresses. I've done it several times. Once again, I just ask that they contact me so we can all be on the same page with shipping costs & time. Just a simple email/communication with the buyer in these cases for me.

Actually, I DO ship to Alaska & Hawaii. I just require them to contact me about the actual shipping costs. That's all, just to make sure they agree to the higher shipping costs. I try to keep my buyers informed. That's all.
But if you use calculated shipping, they need only to put in the zip code and they'll know ahead of time how much it'll be. Or if you use a flat shipping cost, it's the same price for the entire US. (Note that first class mail - up to 1 pound - costs the same anywhere in the US.)

Reactions: finer_woman
My husband says it does not have to pass local customs, only American. I send him packages all the time when he's deployed that contain protein powder.

Maybe you can help with a question I have about APO. Does the package go through local customs and have to pass the local laws? When I lived in Saudi a long time ago, we couldn't get any powdered item, like granulated gelatin, because to the Saudis it looked like drugs. We couldn't get anything with alcohol, including rubbing alcohol, cough syrup, or vanilla extract. Magazines went through censors who blacked out all pictures of women. I never got shoes sent to me over there but I would imagine they would have a problem with shoes that have pigskin lining. Can these kinds of things be delivered to an APO in Saudi Arabia?

But if you use calculated shipping, they need only to put in the zip code and they'll know ahead of time how much it'll be. Or if you use a flat shipping cost, it's the same price for the entire US. (Note that first class mail - up to 1 pound - costs the same anywhere in the US.)
Oh my, I never get to use First Class Mail. With all of the packing & using very strong/thick boxes, I always have to go with Priority Mail, Insured for the full purchase price (up to $5,000 on my own USPS account), with a Signature Required for Delivery. 99.9% of the time I have a Full Set for everything that I sell.
For instance, a LV long wallet cost me $25 to ship. It would have been more to Hawaii or Alaska.

Oh my, I never get to use First Class Mail. With all of the packing & using very strong/thick boxes, I always have to go with Priority Mail, Insured for the full purchase price (up to $5,000 on my own USPS account), with a Signature Required for Delivery. 99.9% of the time I have a Full Set for everything that I sell.
For instance, a LV long wallet cost me $25 to ship. It would have been more to Hawaii or Alaska.
I sell a lot of scarves and keychains that only weigh 3 ounces. Wallets are usually around 8 ounces. I've even had some jeans and purses that weigh under a pound shipped. Hardly anything I sell is very expensive so I forego the insurance.

I sell a lot of scarves and keychains that only weigh 3 ounces. Wallets are usually around 8 ounces. I've even had some jeans and purses that weigh under a pound shipped. Hardly anything I sell is very expensive so I forego the insurance.
Ah, yes! That's where most of the cost comes in. I just have to insure for full purchase price. Too risky not to. $700 is about the lowest item cost that I sell.
I should also add that I use my personal USPS account for several reasons.
1. They allow me to insure up to $5,000
2. I can add my buyers email address and they get constant notifications as their package moves it's way along to them.
3. I get the same direct notifications as well.
After I ship, I upload the Tracking # to eBay. I do this immediately so that i meet my eBay requirements.
This works for me. :smile:

Last edited:
Reactions: *MJ*
My husband says it does not have to pass local customs, only American. I send him packages all the time when he's deployed that contain protein powder.

Different host nations have different restrictions. I've lived in Saudi Arabia. In Saudi all US mail bound for an APO AE address does indeed go through Host Nation Customs in conjunction with the US. (In fact the whole Middle East is that way.) I can remember getting boxes there with notes in them saying my mail had been inspected by KSA Customs. The US inspectors were there, but the Saudis ran the show.

The penalty for trafficking drugs there is death. No kidding. When I lived there they used to tell us don't even have cake mixes mailed to you for that reason. If it burst the Saudis would freak.

Korea and Europe are a bit more relaxed. I've been told the Japanese are somewhere in the middle.

Remember overseas bases belong to the host nation and are subject to whatever the Status Of Forces Agreement states - if there is one. It's not like an Embassy which is sovereign US territory. The base doesn't belong to us. So in reality they generally have the right to inspect whatever arrives here. When I landed here I took a government charter (known as a "Patriot Express" flight) out of Seattle but we came directly on the base. We stopped to refuel and drop off passengers at Yokota AB, Japan. We couldn't enter the terminal because we couldn't enter the country. In Korea there were US and Korean Customs reps in the passenger terminal, and we were cleared by both.

Last edited:
Reactions: whateve
I absolutely defer to you. My husband is not boots on the ground. It's American rules and customs on his ship. I wasn't thinking.

Different host nations have different restrictions. I've lived in Saudi Arabia. In Saudi all US mail bound for an APO AE address does indeed go through Host Nation Customs in conjunction with the US. (In fact the whole Middle East is that way.) I can remember getting boxes there with notes in them saying my mail had been inspected by KSA Customs. The US inspectors were there, but the Saudis ran the show.

The penalty for trafficking drugs there is death. No kidding. When I lived there they used to tell us don't even have cake mixes mailed to you for that reason. If it burst the Saudis would freak.

Korea and Europe are a bit more relaxed. I've been told the Japanese are somewhere in the middle.

Remember overseas bases belong to the host nation and are subject to whatever the Status Of Forces Agreement states - if there is one. It's not like an Embassy which is sovereign US territory. The base doesn't belong to us. So in reality they generally have the right to inspect whatever arrives here. When I landed here I took a government charter (known as a "Patriot Express" flight) out of Seattle but we came directly on the base. We stopped to refuel and drop off passengers at Yokota AB, Japan. We couldn't enter the terminal because we couldn't enter the country. In Korea there were US and Korean Customs reps in the passenger terminal, and we were cleared by both.

Oh yes the Navy gets a break. [emoji1316][emoji1316] FPOs are really different (that's a FLEET Post Office for the civilian ladies - their stuff is sorted and choppered/sent by small jet or even Osprey to the ship).

No mail - no morale. [emoji1316][emoji1316]

I'm the daughter and sister of Navy vets. Thank your husband for his service - and thank you for yours. On the paper bags at the Commissary it used to say: "Navy Wife. It's the toughest job in the Navy." My mom and SIL did it for almost 60 combined years. So thanks to you as well. [emoji173]️[emoji173]️

Reactions: BBC and carlpsmom
I'm a little bit late to the conversation, but I recently ordered two items that came from Guam. Both took just short of a week coming to the west coast of the US -- one was five days, the other was 6. So it's a little longer than shipping times within the 48, but not as long as international post takes. FWIW.