BEWARE Question on item w/link = SCAM

ricogirl

Dec 5, 2007
Okay...Have an item listed and get a ? from ebayer stating they are looking to buy this bag for family member..They have seen similar on another site and give me link to look at...I did copy & paste and of course brings me nowhere...but did notice up in the bar said something like "F%$^^$ with people"...2 mins later get message from ebay stating message was fraudulent and not to respond or click on any links or copy & paste...and if I entered any info. on this linked site to gpo tru steps to protect my identity...I never click on links if I don't where it came from but thought it okay to copy & paste...Anyway, that's all I did I didn't enter any info. so don't think anything could have been stolen??????? I did change my ebay psswd. to be on safe side. I'm hoping I'm okay!!

Just wanted to alert all you ebayers out there to watch out for this scam and be very careful!!!!!!!! By the way the message came from an active ebayer withover 1000 fb - all positive so not sure if their acct. was hijacked to do this?? All these scammers just piss me off!!!:cursing::cursing:

There are several threads on here about this scam. Do not click on the links as you will get a virus and/or they can steal your account info.
That supposedly legtimate person's account could have been hijacked.

You better also run a really good virus scan... the one time I made that mistake, I had a trojan horse virus. Try the free scan at BifDefender if you don't have anything better than AVG.

I did this too and started a warning thread here months ago. Looks like it is still going on. They also hijacked a legit persons E-bay ID. Since I have a MAC I was ok (computer guru told me) I will never click on a link again from e-bay people. Thanks for bringing it up for people to watch out for. I would for sure change my passwords, run virus scan, clear browser history etc. I also contacted e-bay.

I never click on links if I don't where it came from but thought it okay to copy & paste...

JSYK, copying and pasting vs clicking doesn't make a difference when it comes to fraudulent sites like these. Sometimes, all it takes is just you visiting the site (i.e. loading the webpage), and they can infect your computer with a trojan or virus or some other nasty piece of malware. I'd definitely recommend scanning your computer to make sure that nothing infected your system after you visited that site!

Thanks all! Yes, I ran a scan last night and all seems okay! The scammers are always out there lurking!!! Just wish ebay would have sent me the 'Alert' 2 mins. earlier!!!!

I got this e-mail a month ago too and I guess its still going around. I reported it to ebay but never got a response. I didn't click on the link and I got a funny feeling about the e-mail. The account may have gotten hijacked imo. So copying and pasting a link is the same as clicking it? It can affect your computer that way too? Wow, thats hardcore I thought you had to only click on it to unleash the trojan. Internet is too scary for me sometimes :sad:

So copying and pasting a link is the same as clicking it? It can affect your computer that way too? Wow, thats hardcore I thought you had to only click on it to unleash the trojan. Internet is too scary for me sometimes :sad:

If you paste the link into your browser's address bar and actually go to the website, yup, it's the same as clicking the link. Like I said, all it can take is just for you to load the webpage (whether you go to the page via clicking or c+p'ing), and these fraudulent sites can install malware programs on your computer. If you're careful with your browsing, though, you should be able to avoid most of the really-obvious traps! :yes:

Looks like the same scammer is out again.....just got this message "inquiring" about an eBay item I was selling. No way am I clicking on that link. Forwarded it to eBay Spam/Trust & Safety directly.

Hello,
I want to purchase this item as a birthday present for a family member. I think it's the style they are looking for but I'm not 100% sure. Can you open up the pic in the link and confirm? Please get back to me asap so I can know If I'll go through with the purchase or not. Here's the link
euromystic.com/exclusiveclothing
Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like the same scammer is out again.....just got this message "inquiring" about an eBay item I was selling. No way am I clicking on that link. Forwarded it to eBay Spam/Trust & Safety directly.

Hello,
I want to purchase this item as a birthday present for a family member. I think it's the style they are looking for but I'm not 100% sure. Can you open up the pic in the link and confirm? Please get back to me asap so I can know If I'll go through with the purchase or not. Here's the link
euromystic.com/exclusiveclothing
Thanks,

That's the exact same one that I got! please don't anybody click on that link!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the heads up!! Even though there have been other threads about this, somehow I missed them. This thread gave me a good warning just before I received my first instance of this email this weekend.