better to be safe than sorry ?

Sep 20, 2008
I ran some errands yesterday, and for the first time in the 15 years I've carried LV, I felt "unsafe." Got several long looks from shady-looking characters in parking lots.
At the market, the teenage BOY bagging my groceries commented on my LV bag. It was a friendly comment, but the cashier gave me a dirty look. I am NOT imagining this.

This disturbs me, because I've never felt this before.
I know the economy is bad, a lot of people are out of work.

Perhaps carrying a high-profile bag is not the smartest thing these days.

But.....so many people in my area carry FAKE LV! If they can get away with it, I should be able to enjoy my REAL LV that I worked so hard to pay for.

Sign of the financial times?? How can I make peace with this?
Do we put our monogram bags in the closet until things get better?:sad:

I still wear mine, but I'm a little more conscious of where. No problem at an upscale mall, but I am much more careful in shadier places. We have had a big upswing in crime in North Carolina (robberies, etc.) so I am very conscious that people are more desperate. I am more cautious of my surroundings, especially at night and walking to my car.

I guess it just depends on where you are going and if you know that you might get "targeted," then just be safe & carry something more discreet. Wouldn't want anything to happen to you or your LV!

We have had a big upswing in crime in North Carolina (robberies, etc.) so I am very conscious that people are more desperate.

Even before this recession, we've had a certain crime element here that needs to be removed.....permanently.....if you get my drift.

well, i think is important to be careful, I live in Mexico and sometimes i feel kind of insecure wearing my bag, but other than that i just like the attention this baby gets,, so far so good id say

I definitely still wear mine. I understand that things are bad now, but I've HAD these, you know? The economy being bad NOW doesn't change the fact that before this it WASN'T, so if you're just worried about getting looks I say ignore them and enjoy your babies :tup:. However, if it's safety that you're worrying about then maybe you should reconsider it or be less flashy about it when you take them out. People can be pretty desperate when times are tough, they'd do things you would never expect normally :sad:

Here's what I've done in the past..........if I need to do errands, I put my purse in the trunk (at home) then just carry my credit card and license in my Pochette Cles and walk around the stores that way.
You really only need those two cards when shopping.

Like you've all said...better to be safe, until things improve. But it still makes me :cursing:

Here's what I've done in the past..........if I need to do errands, I put my purse in the trunk (at home) then just carry my credit card and license in my Pochette Cles and walk around the stores that way.
You really only need those two cards when shopping.

Like you've all said...better to be safe, until things improve. But it still makes me :cursing:
I put my purse in my trunk when I go to school for class after work :yes:

Hey just a warning to those who put purses in the trunk...I live in Hawaii and if you visit here do not ever lock valuables in the car trunk.....there are always trunk break in's at the beaches here...the thieves purposefully look for rental cars at tourist spots and always break into the trunks.....I live where its relatively little crime and i will never leave a purse in the car ever...if you need to leave it in the car you need to leave it at home...

The Saks (LV store) in Raleigh is at a nice new mall that has had some "incidents" recently. I was there the night that they had the big fight which was quite scary. My friend out in California actually saw it on the national news! They really seemed to have upped the security there since then but I do watch very carefully when I am walking back out to my car and probably will be even more careful in the future.

I drive a Z4 which is not uncommon at all here in the Triangle area. I have gotten a few "nice car" comments over the last couple years but got my very first really Nasty comment from a stranger recently.. They actually yelled at me at a stoplight :wtf: "how I can be so greedy to drive such an expensive car when people all around me are starving!" I am not sure how me driving my car is hurting the starving people but... Sadly, it is making me think how having expensive items could possibly cause problems me.