Better Online Luxury Shopping in China?

amateurjeweler

Midas Jr.
O.G.
Jun 30, 2011
I was reading an article from a few months ago about how in China, even luxury purchases under $100 USD are delivered directly to purchasers the same day by liveried delivery men. This feels completely alien to me as a luxury consumer in the US, where it feels like prices are climbing higher, stores and in-store stock are shrinking, and online purchases that cost $1000+ reach people slower than Amazon Prime packages.

It begs the question, are luxury stores doing enough in Western markets to justify their prices? I feel like the quality, aura, and experience of luxury shopping is declining. As flagship stores close and smaller boutiques feel more than ever like showcases for e-commerce than product stockists, it just feels wrong that online luxury purchases are being shipped to consumers the same way their toothpaste and deodorant is. It doesn't feel particularly luxurious or appropriate for the target market. Is it just me, or does anyone else think that luxury brands should start providing services like this in all markets?

One Chinese shopper said said that online luxury shopping "is like enjoying a visual feast that’s curated for you." I genuinely cannot relate.

Here's an excerpt of the article and the link:

"The Beijing delivery man who arrived with Christine Lin’s new silver bracelet came dressed in an elegant black suit -- complete with white gloves.

He knocked on the door of her apartment holding a delicate black box tied with a golden ribbon. Handing it to Lin, he asked her to confirm receipt with a fountain pen. Inside, under layers of glossy wrapping paper, was the $90 limited-edition bracelet (from a brand co-founded by Hermes International and a local designer) along with a thank-you card from JD.com, the e-commerce site that had arranged the special delivery.

'It was so ceremonial,’' said Lin, a 23-year-old app and product designer. 'Shopping on these online platforms is like enjoying a visual feast that’s curated for you.’"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bu...es-luxury-with-men-in-black-delivering-hermes

Reactions: jbags07