Better casual crossbody: LV Alma BB Vernis in Amarante, or YSL college in anthracite?

Breadnbrie

Jun 11, 2016
Cross-posting forums here for more feedback.

When I first started looking for a casual crossbody bag that's good for travel, obviously the College and Alma didn't immediately come to mind! Unfortunately, more practical bags didn't sing to me, and these two did!

So now I need advice on which one. Other alternatives welcome!

My criteria for this purchase, in the order of most to least importance:

1. Foremost, a bag that can go casual when I need it to, that will look good with a T shirt, skinny jeans or shorts, and flats.
  2. Durable, as I plan to do some traveling with this bag. Obviously neither are first choice for indestructible leather, but which might be less maintenance?
  3. Transitions easily to office use.
  4. Classic-looking. I don't believe there's such thing as true timelessness, but I would like something that won't look terribly dated in 10 years.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_5972.PNG
    IMG_5972.PNG
    229.6 KB · Views: 465
  • IMG_6018.PNG
    IMG_6018.PNG
    328.1 KB · Views: 431
Just a thought: Vernis is not really a casual look in my opinion.
Yeah I was afraid of that :sad: unfortunately, none of the epi colors appeal to me. I'm looking specifically for either grey or burgundy. I did see some mod photos of the Alma BB vernis with casual wear and it looked great, so I'm hoping I can pull it off?

Of the two I'd pick the YSL. I do not like my cross body bags to stick out but prefer a flatter silhouette and the Alma is almost twice as wide as the YSL. Since you like the YSL you may also want to consider Chanel since that is a very similar look to the college bag and pretty much the ultimate classic silhouette that will go from shorts to board room and still be in style in 10, 20, or more years.

Reactions: PuccaNGaru
Yeah I was afraid of that :sad: unfortunately, none of the epi colors appeal to me. I'm looking specifically for either grey or burgundy. I did see some mod photos of the Alma BB vernis with casual wear and it looked great, so I'm hoping I can pull it off?
Imo vernis can be worn with casual clothes. It gives it a little something that takes it up a notch. I'm always casual and wear my vernis alma bb. It adds just the right pop. Go for it!

Edit: Strangely, I don't think I would wear my alma bb vernis to a dressy event. I would opt for something more slim.

Of the two I'd pick the YSL. I do not like my cross body bags to stick out but prefer a flatter silhouette and the Alma is almost twice as wide as the YSL. Since you like the YSL you may also want to consider Chanel since that is a very similar look to the college bag and pretty much the ultimate classic silhouette that will go from shorts to board room and still be in style in 10, 20, or more years.
I thought of the Chanel, but can't justify the price. Thanks for your input on the ysl!

Another more casual option, if you're open to other designers, is Balenciaga. The Small City is a great cross-body size and holds more than the Alma BB. It comes in a couple of grey shades.
I do love balenciaga, but since I already have 2 cities (albeit the regular size), I want some variety in my collection. :smile:

Reactions: fashion_junky
I personally think the amarante vernis can be worn with the casual clothes you listed and look great. I love the color on the YSL bag, but I don't know if that bag will hold up and look great for years down the road like the Alma will. The BB does stick out when worn crossbody, where as the YSL bag looks like it will lay flatter. Have you tried them both on and looked to see what each will hold. I have an Alma BB and I see some who can stuff that tiny thing full and wonder how they can get one thing out without getting it all out. I don't put much in mine to avoid that. Also the Alma is pretty light weight. I don't know with that chain how heavy the YSL bag is. If that even matters to you?

I personally think the amarante vernis can be worn with the casual clothes you listed and look great. I love the color on the YSL bag, but I don't know if that bag will hold up and look great for years down the road like the Alma will. The BB does stick out when worn crossbody, where as the YSL bag looks like it will lay flatter. Have you tried them both on and looked to see what each will hold. I have an Alma BB and I see some who can stuff that tiny thing full and wonder how they can get one thing out without getting it all out. I don't put much in mine to avoid that. Also the Alma is pretty light weight. I don't know with that chain how heavy the YSL bag is. If that even matters to you?
I agree. The Alma you speak of will be fab casual.

Reactions: gajitldy
I think the Alma looks great with fab casual like others said, but with real casual casual, it doesn't work for me. 'Casual' around here is t-shirt and shorts with flip flops and unless you really elevate that look, I think vernis is too formal.

The YSL is really pretty. Another option could be this bag? I have this in the blue denim and it works well with casual casual.
louis-vuitton-alma-bb-epi-leather-handbags--M42670_PM2_Front%20view.jpg

I think the Alma looks great with fab casual like others said, but with real casual casual, it doesn't work for me. 'Casual' around here is t-shirt and shorts with flip flops and unless you really elevate that look, I think vernis is too formal.

The YSL is really pretty. Another option could be this bag? I have this in the blue denim and it works well with casual casual.
louis-vuitton-alma-bb-epi-leather-handbags--M42670_PM2_Front%20view.jpg
I saw this one and was contemplating it! Isn't this the silver black epi electric? I love how it looks on the stock photo, but when I saw how shiny the silver black epi electric looked in other photos on the internet, I kind of shied away.

I definitely see what you mean about casual casual vs fab casual! I live in LA and summer casual is definitely shorts and a T with flip flops. Though somehow I don't think the YSL is much more casual. Maybe it's the chain.

I saw this one and was contemplating it! Isn't this the silver black epi electric? I love how it looks on the stock photo, but when I saw how shiny the silver black epi electric looked in other photos on the internet, I kind of shied away.

I definitely see what you mean about casual casual vs fab casual! I live in LA and summer casual is definitely shorts and a T with flip flops. Though somehow I don't think the YSL is much more casual. Maybe it's the chain.

I took this in Vegas a few months ago. To me, it wasn't quite as bold as "electric."

Attachments

• IMG_6294.JPG
    IMG_6294.JPG
    278.9 KB · Views: 292