"Bethenny Ever After" -- February 2011 Bravo

I do not believe that she's paid $55k. If she wasn't making enough she'd have left sooner, she's clearly not a fame whore.

Again, that is standard for an assistant in NYC. I know people who work for less, but the perks are out of this world.

I use to worked at Conde Nast (home of Vogue, Vanity Fair, Glamour, Allure) for 5years, the assistants there made $30K + overtime. But, the perks they got made up for it. When you work past 7pm the company pays for your dinner and you can order car service home (no train fare right there and free dinner). Some departments, ordered in lunch for everyone everyday (also the cafeteria sells all food for 1/2 off after 3pm. There is always plenty of food left over, because Conde Nast girls don't eat lol).

The Vogue and Glamour assistants are allowed to order cars to pick them up in the morning, becuase they had to run errands for their bosses before going into the office (again no subway fare right there). They also got invited to major parties and got there pick of things in "the closet" (yes it does exist). Each magazine has beauty sales (open to all employees) 3 times a year, basically they clean out their closets (all the free stuff they get), and sell it to employees for $3-$20 (I am not making this up). All this stuff is brand new and never been used. I once got a Chi flat iron (worth $100, for $15)

Last edited:
wasn't there talk/rumor of her man friends paying for her living?

In her book, she said she sold her engagement ring to pay for 1 year rent. All the buildings she lived in were on the upper east side with doorman (not a cheap walk-up studio apartment). She then sold all her birkins to pay rent as well (she got the birkins when she was engaged to the rich guy). She lived in Chicago for awhile when she was engaged and then made him move to NYC because she hated Chicago.

No way in hell you can live on 62nd and 1st avenue and claim you were broke and barely making it. She always got the side eye from me on that one.

How accurate was the Devil Wears Prada?

VERY accurate!!

I would not lie to you gals. It was the worst 5 years of my career. As fashion savy as I am, I was not comfortable there. I just could not relate to people outside of my department.

I got to Conde, 6months after the movie came out (I worked for the publishing house that did the book and read the manuscript).

Accurate. I worked at Conde' Nast in LA and honey, I was side-eyeing so much through the course of the day, that my head ached so bad at 5pm :lol::lol:

I've never seen so many women, clawing their way to the top for little, little money!

And there you have it!! This is why DC and I are like sisters, we know what we speak.

Like I said, it was a rough 5 years, and I would never do it again. The things I saw SMH

If you guys are readers of the Bishes Thread, I once told a 6 paragraph story about an incident that happened to me. It was bad there, but people kill to get into that company. I just happened to appy for a position and got the job 2 weeks later, along with $12K more than what I asked for (they were more impressed with the company I worked for at the time)

In her book, she said she sold her engagement ring to pay for 1 year rent. All the buildings she lived in were on the upper east side with doorman (not a cheap walk-up studio apartment). She then sold all her birkins to pay rent as well (she got the birkins when she was engaged to the rich guy). She lived in Chicago for awhile when she was engaged and then made him move to NYC because she hated Chicago.

No way in hell you can live on 62nd and 1st avenue and claim you were broke and barely making it. She always got the side eye from me on that one.
She was not paying $6K rent for 403 East 62nd (and she actually lived there, they were not just filming outside). I used to live nearby (saw her going in/out) and I have a dog too so I saw her all the time walking the dog

She was not paying $6K rent for 403 East 62nd (and she actually lived there, they were not just filming outside). I used to live nearby (saw her going in/out) and I have a dog too so I saw her all the time walking the dog

I once looked up a one bedroom apartment to see what she was paying and it was $6K

And there you have it!! This is why DC and I are like sisters, we know what we speak.

Like I said, it was a rough 5 years, and I would never do it again. The things I saw SMH

I'll never forget, we had a big meeting for the September issue. All hands on deck, no if, ands or buts, about it. One girl called another to tell her that the meeting had been postponed until later that day. Total lie. I overheard the conversation, ran outside to use my cell and told her "get your azz in this office RIGHT NOW". The meeting was in 45 min, she lived out in Santa Monica. I don't know how she did it but, she was there as soon as the department head was making her way to the conference room.

The other girl looked at her, very surprised, since you know she told her the meeting was postponed:lol::lol:

Originally, I started out my career working in retail. I really wanted to be a clothing buyer for a local dept store. The closer I got to my goal, the less I wanted it. I didn't like the attitudes of the fashion people the higher up the retail chain I got. I guess I loved clothing, but not that much. Some of the people are real pieces of work, and let's face it, we're not curing cancer in retail. I left after 6 yrs and was never happier.

Originally, I started out my career working in retail. I really wanted to be a clothing buyer for a local dept store. The closer I got to my goal, the less I wanted it. I didn't like the attitudes of the fashion people the higher up the retail chain I got. I guess I loved clothing, but not that much. Some of the people are real pieces of work, and let's face it, we're not curing cancer in retail. I left after 6 yrs and was never happier.

so I guess they don't call it "retail hell" for nothing?

I'll never forget, we had a big meeting for the September issue. All hands on deck, no if, ands or buts, about it. One girl called another to tell her that the meeting had been postponed until later that day. Total lie. I overheard the conversation, ran outside to use my cell and told her "get your azz in this office RIGHT NOW". The meeting was in 45 min, she lived out in Santa Monica. I don't know how she did it but, she was there as soon as the department head was making her way to the conference room.

The other girl looked at her, very surprised, since you know she told her the meeting was postponed:lol::lol:

Yep, I have also seen it. It is happening to my friend who is still there. She calls me in tears all the time.