Workplace Best Way to Up Your Fashion Game at Work

Midge S

I meant to do that.
Jan 14, 2012
So how would you go from dressing OK at work to taking it up a few notches?

Here's my story - I've been working full time for about 25 years, and have just been steadily moving up ladder (with some delays!) and have now reached a director-level position in a fortune 500 company. I've been lucky to have been in a business casual environment for the last 15 years, and am not moving departments. (HR Operations related)

Now that I am spending more time with "up and comers" and c-suite level coworkers I am realizing I need to polish up a little. However I am still working with many of the people I have for years, so I don't really want to do anything "shocking" or that seems like I am showing off. Just phase in some stuff.

My style up until now has always been maxi skirts, sweater sets, flats, makeup (but minimal) and a Coach bag.

So what should I start with? What says "polished" to you? I was thinking I should start with something as simple as starting to get regular manicures (I do my own, and not well ;) ) but what ideas do you have?

Manicures are easy and have immediate impact. Colored/styled hair has even better payoff, but req more investment.

Fashion wise, I'd go with neutral toned clothing. If skirt/pant suits are too much, sheath dresses are easy.

To finish things off, I'd go with small studs that can be worn daily, and simple designed necklaces to accessorize your sheath dress.

I always subscribe to the fact that you should dress where you want to go, not where you currently are. I am sensitive to ppl reacting to a change in dress, but anyone that takes your success and makes it about their issues has to be left behind. You should be proud of your success and relish in positivity from true supporters.

Reactions: lovecue2bags
Office attire evolves over time. Currently, I have noticed a move towards more casual attire (moving away from formal wear, eg suits and ties). I am sure at some point it will revert back to formal attire. Also, attire varies so much by location, department and level.
I do believe in dressing for the job you want vs. have, while balancing not upstaging your coworkers.

I would suggest, dressing similar to your boss and coworkers at your level as it pertains to formal/casual.
Having your nails done is a great idea to look polished. I am considering starting this now as well.
Otherwise, properly fitted/taylored clothes and nice shoes can make a big difference.

Congrats on the promotion!!!

I think looking generally put together is important in giving off the confident, I know what I am doing vibe. Nicely styled hair and nails go a long way. Otherwise wardrobe wise I am always a fan of work appropriate sheath dresses that you can accessorize to give some personal touches. Well tailored sheath dresses are always in style and you cannot go wrong. You can use your cardigans over them to use what you have. Unless you are in an artsy industry I don't see how maxi skirts can be made C-suite appropriate.

If you don't have one yet I also recommend getting a nice two piece suit. You can wear both pieces together for important meetings or presentations and can throw on the jacket over a more casual outfit to make it look more put together. Well tailored black pants are also a staple.

I think long skirts, in a dark color, are just fine if paired with a tailored blazer and never boots. It's a nice alternative in the winter months (if you're in cold weather climate).

I agree with the sheath dresses. A few nice pairs of black and navy trousers and blazers are a must. I feel you can get away with flats and trousers.

Neutrals I think are always the most professional and sleek looking. But patterns are ok in the c-suite but always underneath something. So a bold blouse but worn with a dark neutral suit. Or a flower dress but worn with a black or navy blazer.

I'm also old-fashioned and believe NO TOES in the c-suite. Closed shoes always!

Reactions: Doyenne89
Thanks for the feedback!

I agree about the toes! Always closed toes for me. (I may disagree about the boots though. I don't wear boot as while I am tall my legs are short so they look stupid on me, but I like the look on others.)

I've ordered a few things (no time to shop!) and am starting to take a hard look at my closet. I have a number of nice suit jackets and I'm sure other things I am forgetting about. I've always shied away from shorter (not mini, knee length or even a little longer) because of my hatred of pantyhose but I think I need to start shopping around for a brand I might be able to tolerate.

I am also a woman of size, which of course makes it all a little harder. If I don't want everything black and boxy it can take time to find stuff.

Promotion or not, I think I just may be in the mood for a new look, period. I just have the excuse to invest in it now :cool:

Reactions: Pmrbfay
Thanks for the feedback!

I agree about the toes! Always closed toes for me. (I may disagree about the boots though. I don't wear boot as while I am tall my legs are short so they look stupid on me, but I like the look on others.)

I've ordered a few things (no time to shop!) and am starting to take a hard look at my closet. I have a number of nice suit jackets and I'm sure other things I am forgetting about. I've always shied away from shorter (not mini, knee length or even a little longer) because of my hatred of pantyhose but I think I need to start shopping around for a brand I might be able to tolerate.

I am also a woman of size, which of course makes it all a little harder. If I don't want everything black and boxy it can take time to find stuff.

Promotion or not, I think I just may be in the mood for a new look, period. I just have the excuse to invest in it now :cool:

I should've expanded on that. I was thinking maxi skirt, long and flowing, with boots. It often looks way too casual for c-suite level. But a slim long skirt and boots can look slick and professional.

Have you ever tried modcloth? They have a lot of independent designers with clothes for women of all sizes. I find some of their clothes seem too 'period' looking, but I've found some interesting pieces to add into my work wardrobe.

Does your dress code require pantyhose? Again, I'm old school and I'm still not used to NOT wearing them in the office, but we can go bare as it's no longer in the dress code policy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pmrbfay
I should've expanded on that. I was thinking maxi skirt, long and flowing, with boots. It often looks way too casual. But a slim long skirt and boots can look slick and professional.

Have you ever tried modcloth? They have a lot of independent designers with clothes for women of all sizes. I find some of their clothes seem too 'period' looking, but I've found some interesting pieces to add into my work wardrobe.

Does your dress code require pantyhose? Again, I'm old school and I'm still not used to NOT wearing them in the office, but we can go bare as it's not longer in the dress code policy.
The office I am in no and even the corp office (across town) does not require it in summer, but I am far too pale - and red! - to not wear hose. Honestly I prefer the look of hose on everyone, but I realize that is an old fashioned notion.

Modcloth does have some super cute things. The cut of their clothes doesn't always work for me however. I am super long waisted so a skirt and blouse (where I can decide where the waist needs to hit me) usually works out better.

The office I am in no and even the corp office (across town) does not require it in summer, but I am far too pale - and red! - to not wear hose. Honestly I prefer the look of hose on everyone, but I realize that is an old fashioned notion.

Modcloth does have some super cute things. The cut of their clothes doesn't always work for me however. I am super long waisted so a skirt and blouse (where I can decide where the waist needs to hit me) usually works out better.

I'm with you on the hose. I don't wear them, because I do hate them, but I think people look so much better with them on too!

I agree with inherforties' posts above re: dark colors, neutrals, closed toe shoes. I also recommend sheath dresses with a blazer, a solid wrap dress with a bolder necklace or a conservatively patterned wrap dress, black and navy slacks with either heels or flats.

When I've needed business work clothing, I've gotten Bento boxes from MM LaFleur. https://mmlafleur.com/, or you can also buy a la carte from their online store. Their pieces can be pricey but they have been a good value for me - the fabrics are high quality and the garments are cut very well. The clothing also travels well if you need that. They are good basics onto which you can add flair such as scarves and jewelry.

Reactions: teagongfu
So how would you go from dressing OK at work to taking it up a few notches?

Here's my story - I've been working full time for about 25 years, and have just been steadily moving up ladder (with some delays!) and have now reached a director-level position in a fortune 500 company. I've been lucky to have been in a business casual environment for the last 15 years, and am not moving departments. (HR Operations related)

Now that I am spending more time with "up and comers" and c-suite level coworkers I am realizing I need to polish up a little. However I am still working with many of the people I have for years, so I don't really want to do anything "shocking" or that seems like I am showing off. Just phase in some stuff.

My style up until now has always been maxi skirts, sweater sets, flats, makeup (but minimal) and a Coach bag.

So what should I start with? What says "polished" to you? I was thinking I should start with something as simple as starting to get regular manicures (I do my own, and not well ;) ) but what ideas do you have?

I think you should definitely invest in some Valentino rock studs if you can a heeled version and the flats they really give you styled look for the feet. Or even just classic pointed black pumps or nude. Fitted suits, blazers and skirts. A few nice silky blouses and a nice classic black handbag even a fendi 2jours in black. Also cute stud earrings that you can wear everyday or the Dior tribal stud earrings in pearl. Keep hair styled and done nicely and makeup and nails done and just rotate your really nice classic peices and you will be set. Congrats on the promo!!

Maxi skirts does not seem work-polished to me. Full-length flowy skirts suggest casual/hippie or formal -- but not professional. I think a midi length skirt or dress would work better and if past the calf would not require a pantyhose. I also think midis pair better with blazers than maxis.

Reactions: Parisluxury
I struggle with this a little bit. My dress code doesn't say all black, just business casual. I get tired of wearing black things to work all the time....black pants, and a colorful shirt, and a black blazer....But sometimes if I do an all white dress or something with colorful accessories then I worry that it doesn't look business-y enough, like too casual. There's got to be some way to do business casual without even wearing the color black, but to still look professional.