Best way to store Ball bag

leilani01

O.G.
Jan 9, 2008
I remember reading a thread a while back about storing Venetas. The general consensus was to store them flat, i.e., lying down. Would the same advice hold true for the Ball?

I just purchased my Ball last week. It's currently stuffed with tissue paper and "sitting up." Will that cause wrinkles?

LLANeedle, boxermom - Thanks for the expert advice! According to your instructions, it appears I'm taking proper care of my BV. :yahoo:

One other quick question: Do you use acid-free tissue paper? I've heard it's best for wrapping sweaters for storage. Perhaps the same hold true for purses, especially our BV's with the delicate suede lining???

^^^I think it's the best idea, if you have some.

I have received some bags stuffed with those air-filled plastic packing "tubes"! They came out immediately. I wonder what storing a leather bag with plastic inside of it would do over time!

^^^I think it's the best idea, if you have some.

I have received some bags stuffed with those air-filled plastic packing "tubes"! They came out immediately. I wonder what storing a leather bag with plastic inside of it would do over time!

I'll try to search out some acid-free tissue paper. The Container Store seems like a good place to start....

Plastic inside a leather bag. Oh no!!! :nuts: Glad you removed them. Your BV's will thank you.

I would recommend acid-free and color/dye free if you can get a hold of it.

I started a thread the other day asking what BV owners use to stuff their bags. Some of the bags come with that stiff white packing paper and some come with a metallic coated tissue. I was wondering if anyone used acid free tissue? Needlework conservators recommend acid free everything...from tissue paper to framing materials. I guess it's the safest way to go. Now to find a supplier other than a needlework shop where it runs about $2/sheet.

leilani01, I found an interesting article on the Smithsonian website about textiles and certainly leather, suede and moleskin come under that catagory. Plastics of any kind are a no-no b/c they leach a chemcial over time into the textile that causes deterioration. Same can be said of paper...as it ages it too leaches a chemical into whatever it's touching. Based on that I'm going to order acid free tissue and restuff all of my bags. I found websites that cater to wedding gown preservation that offer acid free tissue in bulk at an affordable price.

leilani01, I found an interesting article on the Smithsonian website about textiles and certainly leather, suede and moleskin come under that catagory. Plastics of any kind are a no-no b/c they leach a chemcial over time into the textile that causes deterioration. Same can be said of paper...as it ages it too leaches a chemical into whatever it's touching. Based on that I'm going to order acid free tissue and restuff all of my bags. I found websites that cater to wedding gown preservation that offer acid free tissue in bulk at an affordable price.

LLANeedle - What you've written about caring and storing textiles makes a good deal of sense. Over time so many of our precious belongings can be destroyed or marred by using the wrong materials. :tdown:

Please let us know which website was the best to order the acid-free tissue in bulk.