Best way to store Ball bag

leilani01

O.G.
Jan 9, 2008
I remember reading a thread a while back about storing Venetas. The general consensus was to store them flat, i.e., lying down. Would the same advice hold true for the Ball?

I just purchased my Ball last week. It's currently stuffed with tissue paper and "sitting up." Will that cause wrinkles?

leilani01

O.G.
Jan 9, 2008
LLANeedle, boxermom - Thanks for the expert advice! According to your instructions, it appears I'm taking proper care of my BV. :yahoo:

One other quick question: Do you use acid-free tissue paper? I've heard it's best for wrapping sweaters for storage. Perhaps the same hold true for purses, especially our BV's with the delicate suede lining???

boxermom

O.G.
Aug 26, 2006
^^^I think it's the best idea, if you have some.

I have received some bags stuffed with those air-filled plastic packing "tubes"! They came out immediately. I wonder what storing a leather bag with plastic inside of it would do over time!

leilani01

O.G.
Jan 9, 2008
^^^I think it's the best idea, if you have some.

I have received some bags stuffed with those air-filled plastic packing "tubes"! They came out immediately. I wonder what storing a leather bag with plastic inside of it would do over time!

I'll try to search out some acid-free tissue paper. The Container Store seems like a good place to start....

Plastic inside a leather bag. Oh no!!! :nuts: Glad you removed them. Your BV's will thank you.

LLANeedle

O.G.
Oct 5, 2007
I would recommend acid-free and color/dye free if you can get a hold of it.

I started a thread the other day asking what BV owners use to stuff their bags. Some of the bags come with that stiff white packing paper and some come with a metallic coated tissue. I was wondering if anyone used acid free tissue? Needlework conservators recommend acid free everything...from tissue paper to framing materials. I guess it's the safest way to go. Now to find a supplier other than a needlework shop where it runs about $2/sheet.

LLANeedle

O.G.
Oct 5, 2007
leilani01, I found an interesting article on the Smithsonian website about textiles and certainly leather, suede and moleskin come under that catagory. Plastics of any kind are a no-no b/c they leach a chemcial over time into the textile that causes deterioration. Same can be said of paper...as it ages it too leaches a chemical into whatever it's touching. Based on that I'm going to order acid free tissue and restuff all of my bags. I found websites that cater to wedding gown preservation that offer acid free tissue in bulk at an affordable price.

leilani01

O.G.
Jan 9, 2008
leilani01, I found an interesting article on the Smithsonian website about textiles and certainly leather, suede and moleskin come under that catagory. Plastics of any kind are a no-no b/c they leach a chemcial over time into the textile that causes deterioration. Same can be said of paper...as it ages it too leaches a chemical into whatever it's touching. Based on that I'm going to order acid free tissue and restuff all of my bags. I found websites that cater to wedding gown preservation that offer acid free tissue in bulk at an affordable price.

LLANeedle - What you've written about caring and storing textiles makes a good deal of sense. Over time so many of our precious belongings can be destroyed or marred by using the wrong materials. :tdown:

Please let us know which website was the best to order the acid-free tissue in bulk.