Best way to ship to Canada

Aug 21, 2008
I need to ship to Canada with signature required (PayPal protection) and was wondering which USPS option offers signature confirmation.

Does the priority flat rate box offer signature? It wasn't stated on the website and I didn't see it as an option to purchase.

If I wanted to add signature to the package would I be able to purchase that online or this option is only available when you physically walk into the post office?

Help from anyone that's had previous experience would be highly appreciated.

TIA!!

I need to ship to Canada with signature required (PayPal protection) and was wondering which USPS option offers signature confirmation.

Does the priority flat rate box offer signature? It wasn't stated on the website and I didn't see it as an option to purchase.

If I wanted to add signature to the package would I be able to purchase that online or this option is only available when you physically walk into the post office?

Help from anyone that's had previous experience would be highly appreciated.

TIA!!

I live in Canada, normally when a seller requires protection they ship Priority Mail International – it requires signature upon delivery and also provides rather detailed information when the package was accepted at the post office, when entered customs, cleared customs, delivered… As a buyer I can tell you that the “flat rate” is more expensive than going by weight/measurements. Some sellers prefer Express Mail International but it is too expensive, I have never purchased an item with this delivery option so I can not tell you how much more protection this service provides.

I don't reside in Canada, but I will tell you that the only method that is fully trackable is express, and yes, it costs a lot more than priority international, but that's how you're protected as a seller. You can declare up to $100 "free" in insurance against theft, loss, etc. with express, and anything worth more than $100, you must pay additional $. I'm not certain if these types of packages require signature though, per se. I'm only certain re: the tracking factor.

I've only shipped twice to Canada when I first started out as a seller and low and behold, I use regular priority international with no tracking, no nothing! Eeks! Luckily this was the same buyer and a lovely tPFer who received her shoes safely.

Use express! It may be expensive but it's the safest way to go without losing sleep!

You can track the package since it has a customs number but you have to protect yourself as a seller.

Being on the receiving end I simply can not help but wonder how much more detailed shipping information can be required and what precisely is the difference between Express and Priority. This is an example of something shipped via USPS Priority Mail International; signature was required at the door:

Class: Priority Mail International Parcels
Service(s): International Parcels

Your item was delivered in CANADA at 11:13 am on August 31, 2011.

Detailed Results:
Delivered, August 31, 2011, 11:13 am, CANADA
Arrival at Post Office, August 31, 2011, 9:04 am, CANADA
Customs clearance processing complete, August 29, 2011, 9:06 pm, CANADA
Customs clearance processing complete, August 29, 2011, 9:06 pm, CANADA
Customs Clearance, August 29, 2011, 11:02 am, CANADA
Processed Through Sort Facility, August 29, 2011, 11:02 am, CANADA
Processed Through Sort Facility, August 26, 2011, 9:53 am, ISC MIAMI FL (USPS)
Arrived at Sort Facility, August 26, 2011, 9:53 am, ISC MIAMI FL (USPS)
Electronic Shipping Info Received, August 23, 2011

It all depends on the value of the shipment of course but as far as I can see Priority works just fine.

Priority International Flat Rate boxes do not provide any kind of tracking or signature.

Regular Priority International and Regular Express International both offer detailed tracking end-to-end.

I haven't found Express to be any faster than Priority.

Being on the receiving end I simply can not help but wonder how much more detailed shipping information can be required and what precisely is the difference between Express and Priority.

It all depends on the value of the shipment of course but as far as I can see Priority works just fine.
Post #22 from this thread shows the seller was screwed 5X (by using priority international) within the span of 2 weeks: http://forum.purseblog.com/ebay-for...-refuse-to-ship-internationally-703642-2.html

Post #22 from this thread shows the seller was screwed 5X (by using priority international) within the span of 2 weeks: http://forum.purseblog.com/ebay-for...-refuse-to-ship-internationally-703642-2.html

I am a buyer and quite a few things come to me Priority and I simply can not see that happening. There is something missing here. Above I have posted what a Priority Mail shipping info looks like. The entries may vary (for example it clears customs so quick that it just shows entry time) but it always signature required at the door.

I personally use EMS. I'm located in the US and have gotten packages from canadaland registered priority and it's fully trackable. Not sure about the signature aspect for that though, it's required on EMS.

EMS always requires a signature. Priority mail international doesn't. I always use EMS when shipping internationally. If you do decide to us priority, make sure you purchase insurance because if the package is lost, you will be screwed. EMS comes with $100 of insurance and the cost for additional $100 increments of insurance typically costs less than priority.

fedex is likely best

FedEx charges rather unreasonable brokerage fee at the door. The duties are next to nothing but the brokerage is what hurts the most. I had a dress delivered by FedEx the duty was CAD 4.16 and the brokerage fee was 40 dollars and change and this on US $130 purchase. So I just do not purchase anything delivered by UPS, FedEx or any other courier company.