Best Way to Sell Used LV Shoes/Authenticity?

Eva14

O.G.
May 15, 2012
I have a few pairs of used LV shoes that I'd like to sell.

I recently gave one pair of shoes to an Ebay reseller (I've never sold on Ebay). The shoes stayed up on Ebay for about 50 days. Then Ebay contacted my reseller and ordered him to remove the listing. Listing removed.

Does anyone know the consequences that my reseller experienced due to this listing removal? I've heard that "restrictions" could be placed on his account, but I don't know the exact penalty. ( I recently discovered that this reseller has a few different Ebay accounts under different names, so maybe he's doing something shady and that's why the listing got removed. I'll never know).

I bought the shoes on Ebay, so I can't say with 100% assurance that they are authentic. However, the shoes look, feel, and smell like genuine LV leather. The craftsmanship is top-notch. I would truly be shocked if the shoes were found to not be authentic.

I suppose if I took the shoes to my local LV store they wouldn't authenticate them? How does one get an item authenticated? I know about authenticate4u, but can they really authenticate items without seeing them in person?

I'm new to the world of consignment stores, be they online or in person. I know the names of a few of the online "luxury" reseller stores. Do you just email them photos and they tell you how much they'll pay you for the items? Or you get a percentage when the item sells? How do you know if it's a fair price? I still kind of feel like some things (especially used goods) really need to be seen in person in order to assess value.

I live in California, so Fashionphile is near me. Does anyone know if Fashionphile is a good place to sell items? If I bring the shoes into a place in person, then they can assess the amount of wear AND whether or not the shoes are authentic. (I truly believe the shoes are authentic, but I'm a bit concerned as to why Ebay removed the listing).

I have a few other pairs of LV shoes to sell. They were all bought on Ebay, however. Not all from the same seller. They all look and feel authentic to me, but I don't claim to be an LV expert. I do own several LV bags and shoes, though.

What would be the best course of action to take? I really don't understand Ebay very well, and I most certainly do NOT want to sell anything that might be a fake. Since the LV items I want to sell were all bought on Ebay, I'm hesitant to try to sell them on my own Ebay account. I don't think I got scammed, but one never knows. Thanks for any advice!

I would do a search on ebay to see if the styles you have were sold & what they sold
for so at least you have an idea what they went for. Condition will usually increase
the price & check to see if any of the LV's that you have are listed as well.

LV does not authenticate merchandise.

Your best bet is to know if the shoes are authentic. You can send a pic to authenticate4u
& they will confirm for you. The fee is $7 so it is a small price to know if your shoes
are authentic.

You can sell them outright once you know they are authentic, you can consign them
to a resale shop ( the %'s vary) you can list them on Craig's list or you can give
them to an ebay reseller.

There seems to be mixed reviews about Fashionphile & there is a thread that you
can read & decide for yourself.

I have a few pairs of used LV shoes that I'd like to sell.

I recently gave one pair of shoes to an Ebay reseller (I've never sold on Ebay). The shoes stayed up on Ebay for about 50 days. Then Ebay contacted my reseller and ordered him to remove the listing. Listing removed.

Does anyone know the consequences that my reseller experienced due to this listing removal? I've heard that "restrictions" could be placed on his account, but I don't know the exact penalty. ( I recently discovered that this reseller has a few different Ebay accounts under different names, so maybe he's doing something shady and that's why the listing got removed. I'll never know).

I bought the shoes on Ebay, so I can't say with 100% assurance that they are authentic. However, the shoes look, feel, and smell like genuine LV leather. The craftsmanship is top-notch. I would truly be shocked if the shoes were found to not be authentic.
If the listing was removed, the shoes were probably deemed to be fake, but without seeing the text of the message your seller received from ebay when they pulled the listing, it's impossible to say exactly why they were pulled.

As a seller, it's her responsibility to know with 100% certainty that any item they list is authentic. Since she (your seller) didn't buy the shoes herself directly from LV, she can't be sure of authenticity. And that's further complicated by the fact that you bought them from ebay so you aren't sure of authenticity either.

Since you weren't selling them yourself, you didn't have a responsibility to authenticate them. But in the event you ever do decide to list something yourself, "top notch craftsmanship," look and smell of leather and other "quality" details don't prove authenticity.

I suppose if I took the shoes to my local LV store they wouldn't authenticate them? How does one get an item authenticated? I know about authenticate4u, but can they really authenticate items without seeing them in person?
LV won't authenticate but with adequate clear and definitive pictures of the necessary details, it's absolutely possible for a professional authentication service to authenticate from pictures. (There may be 1% of items where authenticity can't be determined from pictures, but that's very rare.)

I'm new to the world of consignment stores, be they online or in person. I know the names of a few of the online "luxury" reseller stores. Do you just email them photos and they tell you how much they'll pay you for the items? Or you get a percentage when the item sells? How do you know if it's a fair price? I still kind of feel like some things (especially used goods) really need to be seen in person in order to assess value.
I can only speak from my own experience with Bag, Borrow or Steal, but I expect that other consignment and resellers offer a similar way of doing business. (BBOS buys outright.)

This was how mine was done. I submitted (by email) pictures to BBOS which they evaluated as to condition and preliminary authenticity. After, they decide whether the item is something they're interested in and if so, they make an offer of the price they'll pay, contingent on the in-person inspection. They sent a prepaid shipping label and I shipped the bag.

On receipt, they examine, accept and forward check or reject and send the item back.
I have a few other pairs of LV shoes to sell. They were all bought on Ebay, however. Not all from the same seller. They all look and feel authentic to me, but I don't claim to be an LV expert. I do own several LV bags and shoes, though.

What would be the best course of action to take? I really don't understand Ebay very well, and I most certainly do NOT want to sell anything that might be a fake. Since the LV items I want to sell were all bought on Ebay, I'm hesitant to try to sell them on my own Ebay account. I don't think I got scammed, but one never knows. Thanks for any advice!
SInce you don't know for sure that any of the items you purchased on ebay are authentic, it's a must (both for your ebay account and your reputation) to have them professionally authenticated. It's a small investment which offers reassurance to your buyers as well as credibility to your listing. You can state in the listing that it was professionally authenticated by ______.

In the future, have any purchases or potential purchases authenticated so you can feel comfortable in knowing that you got what you paid for.

OP, if you send pics to authenticate4u and they're unable to determine authenticity they will tell you. They'll request additional pictures and if that's not enough and they just can't tell with pics alone I'm sure they'll refund your money.

You can take the shoes to Fashionphile but only after you've had them authenticated.

You can take the shoes to Fashionphile but only after you've had them authenticated.

Thanks! So Fashionphile will require me to submit pics to authenticate4u? The reason I'd like to take the shoes into some place in person in because I'm not very skilled at taking or sending photos via email. It's a skill I've yet to learn. I'd have to pay a computer tech person to teach me how to send photos via email, and that gets expensive. I'm sure that would be more expensive than the money I'd get for the shoes.

Surely I can bring my shoes into a consignment store without sending pics beforehand? I can't be the only person out there who doesn't know how to send pics via email. My brother can't figure it out, and my parents certainly don't know how. I just thought I'd ask this question for those of us who aren't that comfortable with computers! Thanks!

Thanks! So Fashionphile will require me to submit pics to authenticate4u? The reason I'd like to take the shoes into some place in person in because I'm not very skilled at taking or sending photos via email. It's a skill I've yet to learn. I'd have to pay a computer tech person to teach me how to send photos via email, and that gets expensive. I'm sure that would be more expensive than the money I'd get for the shoes.

Surely I can bring my shoes into a consignment store without sending pics beforehand? I can't be the only person out there who doesn't know how to send pics via email. My brother can't figure it out, and my parents certainly don't know how. I just thought I'd ask this question for those of us who aren't that comfortable with computers! Thanks!

If Fashionphile needs to authenticate them, perhaps you might consider
asking them to do it for you & pay the fee if you are not able to take
pics yourself. Its not as easy task for a first timer & if you explain that
you don't know how to do it, they might be willing to help for a small charge.
Just know what it is so you have an idea if they accept the shoes & deduct that
fee from what your net would be.

Do you want to sell the shoes outright or consign them?

Is it possible to ask a friend to help you?

You can certainly call consignment/resellers in your immediate area &
bring the shoes in to show/ sell, but you should know if they are authentic.
And you should know the value...so guide yourself accordingly
Many resellers would ask that question.

Last edited:
OP, if you send pics to authenticate4u and they're unable to determine authenticity they will tell you. They'll request additional pictures and if that's not enough and they just can't tell with pics alone I'm sure they'll refund your money.

It's not necessary for you to have them authenticated if you're going to send them to FP. Once FP accepts them, it's her responsibility.

She might do something similar to what BBOS does; look at preliminary pics and tentatively authenticate then once she gets them, she'll determine if they're authentic. If they are fake, she'll probably return them to you but once she accepts and decides to keep them, you're out of the loop and it not your responsibility.

That's why you're sending them to FP.

OP, if you have a friend that can help you take pics, you can post on the forum's

Glass Slipper Thread... look for "authenticate those shoes" thread

If they are indeed authentic, you can contact other LV sellers besides Fashionphile

& perhaps see what offers come your way& you won't have any expenses

Check out the LV threads.. lots of info there for you to review

It's not necessary for you to have them authenticated if you're going to send them to FP. Once FP accepts them, it's her responsibility.

She might do something similar to what BBOS does; look at preliminary pics and tentatively authenticate then once she gets them, she'll determine if they're authentic. If they are fake, she'll probably return them to you but once she accepts and decides to keep them, you're out of the loop and it not your responsibility.

That's why you're sending them to FP.

Yes, that's what they do but they expect you to know the item is authentic before you send it and if it turns out to be fake you will responsible for return shipping.

Also, FP has a bit of a bad reputation for letting fake non-bag items slip through the cracks. And while it wouldn't be OP's responsibility if that happened I'd rather not have her contribute to the problem, IYKWIM.

^^^ Yup, that makes sense. I was just thinking that the OP shouldn't have to spend money (albeit not a large amount) for an authentication when she's selling to a pro. But yes, even the "pros" have made "mistakes."