Best way to sell an item?

Pebli

Aug 17, 2014
I have never sold an item before because when I purchase, it's always with the intent to keep forever, however there is an item I'm thinking about selling so have a few questions.

-Is going through a consignment store better than privately on ebay? I'm in Australia so I'm pretty sure we only have the one to choose from (and they're not very big)
-do i need to (or should I) provide the receipt? It's from 2009 so not sure I want to disclose what I originally paid for the item? Or my personal details that are on the receipt etc...
-if going through eBay, I'm worried about someone paying by PayPal then claiming fraud or whatever and getting refunded. How do you avoid that and has it ever happened to you?

Thanks for your help!

This may be better placed in general shopping or similar since it will be more visible. I've only sold LV privately and not on eBay because of what you described. I've sold Marc Jacobs and other brands but LV is just so tricky. I think you could provide a copy of the receipt with your details smudged out but if the buyer wants the receipt for proof of purchase for LV (lots of discussion on here about that) then it would be nice to do that in case the buyer needs a repair/replacement part later?
I've sold on Poshmark but generally items under $100. They take 20% off the top which is why some of the prices are pretty high on there. The nice thing is that it's up front and no final value fees like eBay...and they give you a shipping label (not sure if Poshmark is in AUS).

I would definitely get some quotes from places that take consignment. I got quotes from FashionPhile and Yoogi's for a couple of Gucci items. FashionPhile was WAY better. :yes:

Good luck!

Reactions: Pebli
I have never sold an item before because when I purchase, it's always with the intent to keep forever, however there is an item I'm thinking about selling so have a few questions.

-Is going through a consignment store better than privately on ebay? I'm in Australia so I'm pretty sure we only have the one to choose from (and they're not very big)
-do i need to (or should I) provide the receipt? It's from 2009 so not sure I want to disclose what I originally paid for the item? Or my personal details that are on the receipt etc...
-if going through eBay, I'm worried about someone paying by PayPal then claiming fraud or whatever and getting refunded. How do you avoid that and has it ever happened to you?

Thanks for your help!
I have sold through eBay and through Fashionphile and Yoogi's a few times over the years. If you want complete peace of mind, go through a consignment store.

eBay is great but you have to be more vigilant. For example, if a suspicious buyer bids in your item, don't hesitate to cancel the bid. I sell on eBay regularly for other things and I learned to look for red flags. But overall, the vast majority of people are honest.

Giving the receipt is up to you. I keep all my original receipts for insurance purposes ( I sold all my Gucci bags long ago but still have the receipts! ). If you don't feel comfortable sending the original receipt, you can always send a photocopy. You don't have to disclose the original retail price in your eBay ad. A lot of people simply don't show that part of the receipt.

Reactions: Pebli
Thanks so much to you both. I think because I'm totally new to selling, I'll play it safe and go via a consignment store. Pretty sure this is just going to be a once off so sounds like I'm better off to just leave it in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing :smile: despite the commission and fees charged

I've used all of the them; I've gotten scammed on eBay (someone claiming I mailed them an empty box) and despite proving that I didn't, still lost my money and my item. I now prefer Yoogis or Fashionphile, though their pricing is inconsistent, so I'd submit to both and see what they say. The LV Facebook group also seems to sell a lot of items.

Reactions: Maijp
i've done it all - ebay, consignment, private, etc. despite the fees that go with consignment there is nothing better than the peace of mind you get. the extra $100 or so by selling privately was never worth the hassle of wondering if they'd claim it was fake, or try to scam, or etc. you still pay fees when you sell private, unless you use paypal friends/family. i offer the receipt with stuff i sell - if they are paying for it, why not... it's useless to me once the bag is gone. i black out my name/address and sometimes cut the receipt in the half - most buyers realize they will not be paying what you did and LV accepts a half receipt with names missing.

Reactions: wenhuy
I like consignment because buyers see what they get and they cannot return it, so the sale is final.

However, consignment stores have strengths and weaknesses when it comes to selling designer items. The store I deal with is very good for selling LV bags (Eventho the split is 60/40 I've made some money), but not good for scarves. They wanted to list an almost new $895 LV scarf for $200!!! Currently I have a New, never worn Hermes scarf that they are giving away and they cannot sell it. No problem, I'll have a friend of mine try to sell it on Ebay, where these scarves go for a nice amount ;)

Keep in mind that some brands are easier to sell in your region, and others are not that well known. Hermes is not that hot where I live. Not sure if people don't know the Hermes brand OR they don't want to spend that kind of money.

I've done eBay and consignment. You will sell for a higher price on eBay, no question. I've been selling on eBay for 15 years, and I've only had one negative experience with a buyer. However, eBay closed the case in my favour. A word of caution: don't include original receipts! This crazy buyer of mine requested the receipt, which I assumed was for authenticity purposes, and then his girlfriend went to the store and impersonated me to try to get a store credit. When it didn't work, he filed a complaint with eBay that I "misrepresented" the item. Crazy!! But in the end, it worked out fine. I think one hassle in 15 years is pretty reasonable! Consignment is risk-free though.

I've sold a lot of different designer items on eBay over the years and have has reasonable success. However due to the scammers out there I only sell low value things now.

I take all my high end items to a consignment store.

I'm in Australia too and there are heaps of consignment stores! Especially if you are in Sydney or Melbourne you have your pick! Sometimes it does take longer to sell through a store but the peace of mind is worth it for me.