Best way to 'detax' after H in Europe

Does anybody know what the VAT free discount is if you do a charge send to another country from France? I know you get 10% back at the store, and I am in Paris now but the SA will have to order in what I want and send it to me overseas as they don't have it in stock. Is there an administration fee to do this as with the detaxe or do they simply charge the tax free amount, i.e. 19%? I am hoping it will be the latter as that will hopefully even out the cost of shipping.

Reactions: aliao
Does anybody know what the VAT free discount is if you do a charge send to another country from France? I know you get 10% back at the store, and I am in Paris now but the SA will have to order in what I want and send it to me overseas as they don't have it in stock. Is there an administration fee to do this as with the detaxe or do they simply charge the tax free amount, i.e. 19%? I am hoping it will be the latter as that will hopefully even out the cost of shipping.

I just had something sent from Paris and all that is deducted is 10 per cent VAT. And yes, you also pay whatever the cost of shipping is.

FSH (and France) refunds only 10% and with charge send it is an automatic 10% deduction plus the shipping fees.

It is only with other countries that you get higher VAT refund.

I find that the detax counters at Barcelona is much better and friendlier than the one at Paris. No offence, but the one at Paris was very obnoxious and rude, probably due to high traffic at their counter. The counters at AMS and Germany werent very friendly as well.

For CC credit, it usually takes more than 1 month to be credited, i once waited for 3 months for it to be credited. :sad:

Generally, SG customs do not really check hand held carry bags, please note that you should not carry those shopping bags with brands logo on it, this is like asking for trouble. I only heard of one incidence of being charged for GST and that was because the lady carried 5 - 6 shopping bags with Chanel & LV on it. :amuse:

Hi ladies,

I will be making my 1st trip to europe and will be planning to spend at least $10,000 Euros in Paris and London buying Hermes, Celine, Chanel Bags (YAY!)

As I will be travelling from Paris - London - Barcelona - Spain, the airport which I will be getting my VAT refund would be Spain airport before I fly back to Asia.

I have some questions:

1. Are VAT refunds % fixed? Or do different cities have different VAT refund amount? How much is VAT refund in Paris and London for my handbags?

2. How does VAT refund at Spain airport work? Do I get the stamp and purchases verified before I check in? Do I need to lug all my purchases with me through the immigration just in case they ask to see what I buy? Is the refund paid before I check in or after I check in?

3. Is there a maximum amount which I can spend buying bags in Europe or is there no limit when claiming VAT? (Just in case I overspend)

4. Off topic, but out of these 4 cities, which city is the cheapest to buy a Rolex? (:

Thank you so much for your help ladies, really cant wait to get all my handbags!! :smile:

1. Are VAT refunds % fixed? Or do different cities have different VAT refund amount? How much is VAT refund in Paris and London for my handbags?
% IS PER COUNTRY NOT CITY

2. How does VAT refund at Spain airport work? Do I get the stamp and purchases verified before I check in? Do I need to lug all my purchases with me through the immigration just in case they ask to see what I buy? Is the refund paid before I check in or after I check in? YOU NEED ALL DOCUMENTS AND ITEMS WITH YOU TO CLAIM REFUND OF VAT.
YOU NEED TO CLAIM REFUND BEFORE CHECK-IN YOUR BAGS. ALLOW 1 HOUR TO DO ALL OF THIS.

3. Is there a maximum amount which I can spend buying bags in Europe or is there no limit when claiming VAT? (Just in case I overspend). I DON'T THINK SO

4. Off topic, but out of these 4 cities, which city is the cheapest to buy a Rolex? (:
SPAIN PROBABLY AS LONDON IS NOT EURO ZONE (FOR CURRENCY).

1. no,VAT differs with each city, each store.

2. No answer, sorry. But there should be a check in counter for VAT, and another one for handcarried purchases. so u must separate your forms clearly for your check in and handcarry VAT forms and do it at the respective counters. so it's best to decide if u want to handcarry or check in, otherwise you will have to do it twice separately!

3. no, i don't think so. 10k euros is definitely not going to be a problem. many people buy much more.

4. if you are from asia, i have found asia to be cheaper to buy a rolex. because you can negotiate prices- the VAT% difference....doesn't really help much.my friend bought a rolex in switzerland and went back to asia, and found that it was cheaper in asia by 3K. for me, all watches have been cheaper in asia. HTH!

Hermes doesn't refund the tax by cash, so the only way is you stamped the form, sent out, and wait for another month till the money puts back :sad: I figure it's a more convenient way to detax, since the line for tax in cash is ridiculous!! I was waiting for 3 hours..and almost late for my flight....

Hi ladies,

VAT charged on goods are fixed by country. For example, UK VAT is 20%. This is fixed. But VAT refund % can vary depending on what type of stores you buy the goods from. This is because stand alone boutiques and department stores has its own refund amounts based on total £££ spent and also have different administration charges which they deduct from the VAT refund also. If I buy the same bag from H in Harrods, H in Selfridges and H on Bond St (a stand alone H boutique), my refund amount will be different. For the same bag, the difference is probably in the tens of pounds range. hth.

Reactions: chic_lady
Hi Melissa,

Which airport in spain will it be? If its Barcelona, the last time i was there, they were quick and not much of a hassle! In fact, I prefer the VAT counter there to Paris.

Good luck with your purchase!

Hi ladies,

I will be making my 1st trip to europe and will be planning to spend at least $10,000 Euros in Paris and London buying Hermes, Celine, Chanel Bags (YAY!)

As I will be travelling from Paris - London - Barcelona - Spain, the airport which I will be getting my VAT refund would be Spain airport before I fly back to Asia.

I have some questions:

2. How does VAT refund at Spain airport work? Do I get the stamp and purchases verified before I check in? Do I need to lug all my purchases with me through the immigration just in case they ask to see what I buy? Is the refund paid before I check in or after I check in?

3. Is there a maximum amount which I can spend buying bags in Europe or is there no limit when claiming VAT? (Just in case I overspend)

Thank you so much for your help ladies, really cant wait to get all my handbags!! :smile:

Hi ladies,

I'll be going to Paris and London in mid Mar.
My plan is to arrive at Paris, then spend a few days in London and travel back to Paris.
I would like to know if I purchase something in London, do I have to do the tax refund before I get on the Eurostar or I can do the refund all together when I leave Paris CDG?

TIA

You obtain your VAT refund at the last EU exit point as items have to be unused/unworn. Essentially, you are exporting them. That's what makes the VAT refund legitimate, that the goods are being taken out of the EU.

melissatay said:
Hi ladies,

I find rolex cheaper in asia. I bought mine in jakarta and the price was actually in singapore dollar but of course you have to pay in indonesian rupiah. So its the same pricing between indonesia and singapore. Price in US for the same watch is more expensive..