Best Way To Care for Your Skin post shaving

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. So I noticed the other day how bad the backs of my thigs look!
    Gah!
    Alot of ingrown hairs. Looks terrible. Should I be exfoliating after I shave? I use a sharp razor, I am in the shower for a few minutes before I shave, and I use a good shaving gel.
    What am I missing here? Thanks!

2. Hmmm, I've always heard exfoliate before you shave, so you won't end up with a dull razor (otherwise it picks up the dead skin). I use a lathering scrub that acts like a 2-in-1 exfoliator and shaving gel - it's The Body Shop's Body Polish. But I've never had ingrown hairs, so I'm not sure what you'd need to do for them.

3. I have gotten a few ingrown hairs every now and then on my thighs, and tea tree oil has worked pretty well for me. Just take a qtip and dab a little on the spots...it doesn't work overnight, but it will get rid of them more quickly than not putting anything at all on them.

4. Don't do it immediately after b/c of irritation, but on the days that you shower between shaves, use an exfoliator.

Then after shaving, use a mild moisturizer that doesn't contain too much irritating fragrance.

And yes, tea tree oil is good for minor skin irritations and may help ingrown hairs that you do get.

5. lol yea maybe I mixed that up! Thank you!

Doesn't the Body Shop sell that?

Thank you!

6. I'm not sure if they do or not; I've honestly never bought anything from them. I got my Tea Tree Oil at Walmart; the kind my store carries is 100% pure, and is pharmaceutical grade. I think it was around 7 bucks or so. It's handy to have around, because there are so many things you can use it for.

7. ^^ I know they carry a Tea Tree line of products (face wash, soap, etc) but I'm not sure if they sell the oil by itself.

8. I have a little scrubby mitt and use that sometimes on my legs after I shave and in between shaves. My skin is quite dry though, so I can't use it too often.

9. Like meganfm, I use an exfoliator scrubby mitt thing before shaving. I think it helps.